Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB or Firewire to SCSI

USB or Firewire to SCSI
dav
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2002, 09:56 AM

anyone recommend a good USB or Firewire to SCSI converter. Reliable under OS9 or OSX.
Thanks.
one post closer to five stars

Paul S
Senior User
Apr 1, 2002, 11:54 AM

Depends on the peripheral you want to connect. Those SCSI adapters are very touchy. It has to do with power. All 3 connectors supply power, but SCSI is picky about it. Some deviced work fine, some only work when daisy-chained to another compatible SCSI device, and some don't work at all. I've had good luck selling the Microtech adapters. They have a compatibility chart you should check into on the website.
http://www.microtechint.com/products/connectivity.html

Depending on what machine you have, a SCSI PCI card might be the better answer.

dav  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2002, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Paul S:
<STRONG>Depends on the peripheral you want to connect. Those SCSI adapters are very touchy. It has to do with power. All 3 connectors supply power, but SCSI is picky about it. Some deviced work fine, some only work when daisy-chained to another compatible SCSI device, and some don't work at all. I've had good luck selling the Microtech adapters. They have a compatibility chart you should check into on the website.
http://www.microtechint.com/products/connectivity.html

Depending on what machine you have, a SCSI PCI card might be the better answer.</STRONG>
Paul - thanks for the reply. I've got a cube, so the cable is a necessity for me. (the device is a slide scanner.) I'm going to try the Adaptec USBxchange, mostly because Adaptec has been making SCSI cards for the Mac for some time now - I'm hoping they know what they're doing. USB should be fast enough for my application.
one post closer to five stars

Forum Links
Forum Rules