Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is it time to retire my Pismo?

Is it time to retire my Pismo?
laieboy
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2005, 02:26 AM

One of my kids accidently closed the lid on my Pismo without it shutting down properly so the screen stayed ON and by the time I got to it the Pismo was really hot to the touch. When starting up the Pismo the screen turns ON and then nothing else happens, no chime, nothing. Could my logic board be fried? Is it worth buying parts for it and trying to revive or should I just sell it for parts? Up to this point my Pismo had no problems whatsoever. Please advise...
Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual-Quad Core • iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz i7 Quad Core

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2005, 10:51 AM

First, if the top was closed, the powerbook should have gone to sleep.
Second, the Pismo can run while closed. Unless your fan has failed, it should have kept itself cool.
Third, the display should have turned off with the top closed. If it didn't, your megnetic reed switch that detects the top closed might be broken/disconnected.

Try reseating the CPU and RAM, then powering up witha PRAM reset and maybe reset the PMU (pushbutton on the back).

If you want to sell it as dead, what are you asking and what model of Pismo was it (400 or 500MHz)?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 9, 2005, 10:52 AM

Hi,

Have you tried pressing the reset button?:

Hold the little reset button in the back down for 5 seconds (it's the little tiny button next to the modem, indicated by a small triangle).

Hope that works.

Best wishes,

Rich (G4 12 1.33 Powerbook, but still got my Pismo...)

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2005, 02:50 PM

The reset button is the PMU.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

laieboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2005, 03:14 PM

I will try reseting the PMU. My pismo is the 500MHz model with airport card and 40GB hard drive. Thanks guys!
Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual-Quad Core • iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz i7 Quad Core

laieboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2005, 02:58 PM

Tried reseting the PMU but nothing. I guess the pismo is heading to ebay!

tigas
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2005, 03:17 PM

How confortable are you with screwdrivers? Have you tried opening the heatshield, taking out the top DIMM and pressing down on the processor board just to make sure it is correctly fitted?

Also, try resetting the PMU again but without the battery and AC power. The PMU will reset based on the emergency battery, I think it's a better way to reset the PMU.

Too bad you're in America, I'd buy your Airport card in a heartbeat.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 08:08 PM

If all else fails just know that it had a good run, and maybe its time to get a ne computer.

laieboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2005, 09:18 PM

Thanks guys! I'll try these suggestions before heading to ebay.

tigas
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2005, 08:43 PM

Let it rest for a week, then reset the PMU again, connect it to AC power and try to turn it on. Sometimes Pismos just need a little rest.

You could also have a dead emergency battery. They're cheapish, but you have to get them from pbparts.com or pbfixit.com. On a Pismo, they're very easy to install.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 01:05 PM

Sounds somewhat like a kernel panic with sleep problem, which sometimes results in startup problems. Have you tried starting up in Safe Mode (hold down the shift key until you get to the login screen, which will say safe boot in red type, about 3-5 minutes?) If this works, do an immediate restart since networking is disabled in safe mode, along with other essential stuff (wireless, natch.)

Or have you tried resetting PRAM and NVRAM? See apple support for details.

Sometimes, taking the battery out, disconnecting AC, and holding the power button down for a minute will drain the internal battery (plus letting it lay there for 15-60 minutes), which will allow startup up upon reassembly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules