Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apollo 11 photo's

Apollo 11 photo's
Gator Lager
Senior User
Feb 12, 2006, 10:30 PM

one for the space history enthusiast or not.
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi.../images11.html
in a few years (hopefully) we'll be going back to the moon again.
(finally)

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 12:22 AM

I can't wait 'till I get to visit the moon. Awesome pics.

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2006, 03:47 AM

its amazing how in google earth you can see manhattan island very detailed, and in the pictures that this link follows you cant make out where anything is. Such as the flags they left on the moon and other stuff.
im not a big fan of conspiracy theories, but no one has gone out of their way to prove that anyone did actually land on the moon. If i were the company that was taking detailed shots of the earth i think i would point my cameras at the moon for a few days, to prove that we actually did land on the moon. That would be great publicity towards that company and would show off the power of there technology.
btw what is the interest in going back to the moon all about?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2006, 04:44 AM

Apollo 11 photo's what?

Oh, and:

Originally Posted by Mr Kino
its amazing how in google earth you can see manhattan island very detailed, and in the pictures that this link follows you cant make out where anything is. Such as the flags they left on the moon and other stuff.
im not a big fan of conspiracy theories, but no one has gone out of their way to prove that anyone did actually land on the moon. If i were the company that was taking detailed shots of the earth i think i would point my cameras at the moon for a few days, to prove that we actually did land on the moon. That would be great publicity towards that company and would show off the power of there technology.
Er, maybe it's because the satellites that took the photos you see on Google Earth were actually in Earth's orbit, and the moon photos were taken by telescopes here on Earth?

I think NASA has better things to do than go to the expense of putting satellites in orbit of the Moon just to shut up a few conspiracy theorists who would probably just claim the satellite photos were faked anyway.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 04:53 AM

they should make a weblog out of this
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Gator Lager  (op)
Senior User
Feb 13, 2006, 11:16 AM

good ole google map to the rescue
http://moon.google.com/
I like the close in view

as for the resolution of the photos. remember the tech back then was cutting edge. not up todays standards. but still the same, pretty cool. they mapped the moon surface with an unmanned mission first. then Apollo 8 did a lap around the moon. taking more photos. again the resolution of the camera's was the best at the time.

I was a wee grommit when Apollo was going on, but hopefully I'll be here when we go back.

and for those who say 'why should we waste the money to go back to the moon....'

http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2004/1224/
http://simkin.asu.edu/clem/
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/clemen/clemen.html

got to keep opening doors. if not then your going no where !
plus it keeps me employed

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2006, 12:19 PM

I remember watching all of it live when it happened. It was awesome, Amazing pictures from the Moon.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

badidea
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gator Lager
I like the close in view

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 01:10 PM

They should have made it BBQ spare ribs.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 01:23 PM

I thought I remember the Hubble getting a photo of the area, and it still had tire tracks from the rover all around the bottom part of the LEM.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gator Lager
good ole google map to the rescue
http://moon.google.com/
I like the close in view

Geez, Google IS everywhere. And the close-in view proves there is no conspiracy. Just look at all those craters.

As for your original link, that was WAY cool! I must have spent two hours last night looking at all the pictures from every phase of the operation. Thanks for the link!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 03:46 PM

We left the lunar laser ranging retroreflector array behind... and most conspiracy theorists deny it exists... even though we get signals back from it when shot with a laser.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/21jul_llr.htm

Interesting stuff.
( Last edited by production_coordinator; Feb 13, 2006 at 03:53 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2006, 05:41 PM

im not a big fan of conspiracy theories, but no one has gone out of their way to prove that anyone did actually land on the moon.
Actually, a great many people have proven that you don't need to by any stretch "go out of your way" to prove that every single claim of the moon hoaxers - without exception - is, simply put, a crock of ****.

The comparative lack of detailed photographs of the moon *might* have to do with the fact that we've had surveillance and cartography satellites orbiting the Earth for over forty years at a distance of a few hundred kilometers, while the moon is at an average distance of a few hundred THOUSAND kilometers.

Of course, don't let that bother your fantasy.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
I thought I remember the Hubble getting a photo of the area, and it still had tire tracks from the rover all around the bottom part of the LEM.
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...oon_snoop.html

Hubble did photograph the Moon, in 1999.

"Anything left on the Moon cannot be resolved in any Hubble image," According to the Space Telescope Science Institute, which operates Hubble for NASA. "It would just appear as a dot."

Apparently the European SMART-1 craft is busy photographing the moon from a close orbit.

We'll see what gets released after the mission ends this August (it was extended by a year last August).

finboy
Feb 13, 2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
We left the lunar laser ranging retroreflector array behind... and most conspiracy theorists deny it exists... even though we get signals back from it when shot with a laser.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/21jul_llr.htm

Interesting stuff.
I knew about this, but had forgotten. I guess the conspiracy nuts think these were placed there by unmanned craft.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2006, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by finboy
I knew about this, but had forgotten. I guess the conspiracy nuts think these were placed there by unmanned craft.
Or we're sneaking pings on the Soviets' reflector array!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2006, 08:45 PM

Awesome pictures!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules