Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Photoshop vs. Fireworks for Web graphics?

Photoshop vs. Fireworks for Web graphics?
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2006, 10:13 PM

I'm just getting deeper into web design so I don't have a lot of experience with creating web graphics. But I've been reading a lot about Photoshop and Fireworks, and I'm confused.

What do you use/recommend for creating graphics for the Web?

Thanks!

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 11:22 PM

I would think it depends on what type of web graphics you're creating. If they're mainly photos, edited for web use, go with Photoshop. If you want vector based artwork,, Fireworks may be the better choice. I think Macromedia offers a free 30-day trial of Fireworks.

I use Fireworks more heavily for my sites...
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

genesisdan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 11:35 PM

Hrm, thats not right.

The MAIN difference is CMYK vs. RGB

With Fireworks you cannot do any CMYK work at all. Nope, sorry, no can do. But since most, if not all of the stuff you'll do for the WEB will never be CMYK, Fireworks fits the bill nicely. Besides, it integrates quite well with Dreamweaver and the two work nicely together.

I use Photoshop for print media work, where it has to be CMYK. Fireworks is for all my web stuff.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
May 31, 2006, 11:12 PM

I have been a heavy FW user for quite a while.

When the Adobe/MM merger was approved I tried to start using PS for non photo site design…just in case. I have to say the 2 are not really at all close.

The vector shape creation…and more importantly to me… manipulation of existing shapes in FW is unrivaled. It is basically a very web-centric blend of PS and Illustrator.

For complex photo editing or anything CMYK it is PS. But if it is web work, it simply has to be FW, for me.

Much to my relief, Adobe is keeping it around.

T

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2006, 10:59 AM

Thanks, everyone, I *think* I am going with FW.

Carbine18
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2006, 02:12 AM

for web design go with photoshop. you can do almost nothing with fireworks compared to what you can do with photoshop. plus it will be easier to learn and find tutorials for.

stephenr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Carbine18
for web design go with photoshop. you can do almost nothing with fireworks compared to what you can do with photoshop. plus it will be easier to learn and find tutorials for.
Actually, no. Wrong. Photoshop is NOT by ANY standard, the "best" tool for designing web-graphics.

Fireworks FAR outshines photoshop in both Vector and Raster/Bitmap editing. Fireworks supports most Photoshop filters, and for web, it does one huge thing Photoshop doesnt. It has built-in support for slicing. That is, you design a "layout" then slice it into the seperate elements (ie, individual images). Photoshop does NOT have this functionality, instead you have to open the photoshop file in ImageReady and then slice it up from there.

Yes there are a lot more tutorials for Photoshop out there. But 3 million tutorials on how to make a "wow uber-cool sun-glare effect" are NOT going to help you create great web graphics. An intuitive, powerful application with features not found in ANY other app will.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2006, 01:45 PM

Thanks, all. I did purchase FW8. Now I just have to learn how to use it, or rather, find the time to learn it!

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2006, 09:01 PM

haha yeah the learning curve is steep, but once you got trick youll be able to do amazing things!

brod(d)ers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2006, 12:32 AM

Considering that Adobe have recently bought out Macromedia, Photoshop is really the only way to go if you want to keep receiving updates and help. Plus it's a bloody good program! After using if for a few times, you start to get a handle on how everything works!

stephenr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2006, 12:49 AM

Um, once again, FUD.

Adobe product managers have publicly stated that Fireworks is staying. Fireworks FAR outshines photoshop in web-graphics. Funny really, given that that's what it was designed for.

And funnily enough, photoshop is better for bitmap editing of photos for all you 13370 kids with phat photoshop skillz.

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2006, 05:38 AM

Fireworks wins hands down for web graphics. You can create some twiddly stuff in Photoshop, and you can import it into FW, but be careful importing FW .png into PS as you will lose any of the FW settings.

K.

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2006, 08:23 AM

$fireworks++;

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 12:36 AM

I started with Fireworks back in the day, but soon moved to working with Photoshop & Illustrator side-by-side.

I think you made the right choice with Fireworks. Best bang for the buck.

jaydon34
Senior User
Aug 16, 2006, 01:01 AM

I loved fireworks as its easier to learn than photoshop. Photoshop is on a whole other level
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules