Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Automatic Reply-To Address in Mail

Automatic Reply-To Address in Mail
jszrules
Senior User
Jul 11, 2006, 09:51 PM

How do you configure an email account in Apple Mail so that every message sent from that account has a different Reply-To email address than the email address of that account? I believe a lot of Windows email clients have that option and call it a "Return Address", so I would be surprised if Apple Mail didn't have a similar option. I find it annoying to always have to type "[email protected]" in the Reply-To field every time I send a message from "[email protected]". Thanks!

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jul 13, 2006, 12:42 PM

Bump. Perhaps the title of the thread is confusing and I should have called it "Default Reply-To Address in Sent Mail".

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jul 17, 2006, 10:17 AM

So I guess this means there is no way to do this? I find that odd...

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Aug 6, 2006, 05:19 PM

anyone?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by jszrules
anyone?

The email address field in the account settings is your reply-to, AFAIK.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 05:53 PM

I don't think that this feature is available, remember Mail is a basic 'consumer level' email app.
This shouldn't really be done anyway. Lots of corporate anti-spam filters will block emails that originate from a different address than the stated replay address, unless that address has been added to the 'exemption' list.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12
I don't think that this feature is available, remember Mail is a basic 'consumer level' email app.
This shouldn't really be done anyway. Lots of corporate anti-spam filters will block emails that originate from a different address than the stated replay address, unless that address has been added to the 'exemption' list.

Not true... Any SMTP server will accept the "Reply-to" header, it's a perfectly legitimate header that is part of the RFC. This is not spoofing, this is utilizing a legitimate header.

I take what I said back, there is no place to set a reply-to in Mail, just the "From" address (which is used as the reply-to address in the absence of an overriding reply-to header).

I'd consider using Thunderbird, it has a whole plethora of features that OS X Mail doesn't have, it's a pretty sweet and extensible email client. I can't think of any feature present in OS X Mail that doesn't exist in Thunderbird, with the exception of Smart Folders.

I wish that that OS X Mail would allow you to pick what email folders you want to subscribe to. Its syncing/caching can only be disabled or enabled for the entire account - PITA. I also prefer Engimail over the OS X Mail PGP add-on.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by jszrules
How do you configure an email account in Apple Mail so that every message sent from that account has a different Reply-To email address than the email address of that account? I believe a lot of Windows email clients have that option and call it a "Return Address", so I would be surprised if Apple Mail didn't have a similar option. I find it annoying to always have to type "[email protected]" in the Reply-To field every time I send a message from "[email protected]". Thanks!
Permanently add Reply To headers in Mail.app <-- a hint from "cricket", who is on the Mail.app team

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras
Permanently add Reply To headers in Mail.app <-- a hint from "cricket", who is on the Mail.app team

Very cool. I wish Apple would learn a little bit from the Mozilla team in making Safari and Mail more extensible, I often find these apps too inflexible for these sorts of reasons. It sucks that the only way to add a feature like this is with some arcane hack like this.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 07:05 PM

Well, Mail.app plugins can do quite a bit, but I agree that it'd be nice if Apple offered a stable API to code against. Still, the current Mail plugin world is pretty rich, and I'm sure someone could pretty quickly write a Reply-To plugin if there were enough demand.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Aug 6, 2006, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the replies. I would prefer to avoid this "arcane hack", so hopefully someone can write a Mail Reply-To plug-in or hopefully we will find out tomorrow at the WWDC that Apple has addressed this issue with Mail 3.0, haha.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras
Well, Mail.app plugins can do quite a bit, but I agree that it'd be nice if Apple offered a stable API to code against. Still, the current Mail plugin world is pretty rich, and I'm sure someone could pretty quickly write a Reply-To plugin if there were enough demand.

Perhaps, but the whole SIMBL/Bundle thing seems pretty awkward, and certainly no where as easy as it is to install an extension in Firefox or Thunderbird.

It's a pain in the ass that whenever Safari updates, add-ons like PithHelmet and Saft often break. If Apple sat down and thought about how to best design this stable API, they would probably produce a better, more module result anyway.

We could certainly also have this conversation WRT other Apple apps and OS X itself (see my other thread on this).

Forum Links
Forum Rules