Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > audio books

audio books
Gator Lager
Senior User
Mar 19, 2008, 12:51 AM

is there an app that will change the readers voice in audio books. I like listening to them but some of the audio book readers are, well annoying.

I did a google and could not find anything. so if such an app doesn't exist, then coders get busy and write one. I'd buy it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2008, 01:22 AM

Don't think so, because audio books are still *audio* recordings.

It's not like they only contain text, and have a text-to-speech program "speak" the text.

-t

Gator Lager  (op)
Senior User
Mar 19, 2008, 02:08 AM

thought so. I found a few text to audio applications on the web.
but nothing regarding my question, a audio voice converter. I realize that they are not the same (text to audio and converting an audio voice). but I think that it would be a cool app. I'd buy it.

If it is just a straight voice audio (no music).
It should be easier to convert the voice.
(I'm obviously not an audio guru) so such an application is possible.
correct ? could some algorithm do the job ? hell I'm a hardware dude. I get lost in code. duh.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 03:47 AM

That's like saying you'd like a video program that will automatically replace all lines spoken by Schwarzenegger with the same line spoken by James Coburn.

What you can do is to try dragging the audiobook into GarageBand and then using the "Voice Transform" and equalizer plug-ins to change the voice to something a little more to your liking.

You will NOT get rid of idiosyncratic pronounciation or emphasis or such, but you might be able to get something to sound slightly less nasal, or deeper, or so.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 05:45 AM

Similarly, you could also treat the audio files with this freeware application called Praat, lets you simulate gender changes and run a bunch of other manipulations on it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 06:37 AM

Holy ****, that's great!

Thanks!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2008, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gator Lager View Post
is there an app that will change the readers voice in audio books. I like listening to them but some of the audio book readers are, well annoying.

I did a google and could not find anything. so if such an app doesn't exist, then coders get busy and write one. I'd buy it.
Im working on an app to do this, I will post it when I finish my app which writes Pulitzer prize winning novels.

Gator Lager  (op)
Senior User
Mar 19, 2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
That's like saying you'd like a video program that will automatically replace all lines spoken by Schwarzenegger with the same line spoken by James Coburn.

What you can do is to try dragging the audiobook into GarageBand and then using the "Voice Transform" and equalizer plug-ins to change the voice to something a little more to your liking.

You will NOT get rid of idiosyncratic pronounciation or emphasis or such, but you might be able to get something to sound slightly less nasal, or deeper, or so.
yep, something along those lines.
but I didn't think about the garageband thing. anything is worth a try. some of the readers voices are like I said, annoying.
thanks.

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
Similarly, you could also treat the audio files with this freeware application called Praat, lets you simulate gender changes and run a bunch of other manipulations on it.
I'll give it a try.
thank you

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Im working on an app to do this, I will post it when I finish my app which writes Pulitzer prize winning novels.
dude, you're gonna be rich. I can see it now you a billy gates sitting around talking about your killer app and drinking tea (with pinkies out of course)
and planning on solving all the worlds problems.

I envy you sir.

I too am working on a book. it's a self help book. got the title, just need the filler. it's titled
"I'm Ok, You're F*#@ed Up"
that should get me on oprah and dr. phil

Forum Links
Forum Rules