Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Automatic watches: what's the appeal?

Automatic watches: what's the appeal?
BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
May 25, 2008, 06:38 AM

Quartz watches are more accurate and easier (and far less expensive) to repair than automatic watches.

Yet automatic watches have a "prestige" to them.

I don't understand this. Unless the gears are visible, you cannot tell that a watch is an automatic. And it's not like all quartz watches are ugly.

Is the appeal of an automatic watch the ability to say, "Hey, look at me. I can afford an automatic watch"?

Because if there is something else, I would like to know what it is.
( Last edited by BasketofPuppies; May 25, 2008 at 07:31 AM. )
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2008, 06:41 AM

You act as if one had anything to do with the other?

Automatic quartz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FWIW, I really like the fact that my thirty-year-old Citizen automatic is fully self-contained: no battery to replace, nothing goes in or out.

Unfortunately, the anchors for the faceplate broke in a bad fall some years ago, and I haven't been able to find a watchmaker who could repair it.

And FWIW, automatic does not (perhaps DID not) immediately mean "expensive" - at least, I can't imagine that my parents bought me a hella expensive watch when I was seven.

PaperNotes
May 25, 2008, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by BasketofPuppies View Post
Quartz watches are more accurate and easier (and far less expensive) to repair than automatic watches.
The second hand on my quartz doesn't move any longer

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 25, 2008, 08:33 AM

Automatic !=expensive.

I bought a Swatch automatic (with visible gears BTW) for ~$100. I love that there is no battery to replace. That being said, it does keep marginal time. Speeds up about 5 min a week. Part of my monday ritual it resetting it.

I like it. I have a drawer full of quartz watches, including a Tag, that I never wear because I can't be asked to get the battery replaced.

ghporter
Administrator
May 25, 2008, 09:07 AM

Paco's right. You can get an automatic for not too much money at all, or you CAN spend a bundle on one. You can also get really nice ones for relatively little. My next new watch will be an automatic, but my current "nice" watch is a Citizen Calibre 2100 "ecodrive" watch. It has a quartz movement, but a solar powered battery that may NEVER need replacement. Pretty cool, eh?

One thing that automatics do that can be a pain is to slow down or speed up when not worn. To combat this, you can get a "watch winder". These are motorized devices that simply move the watch around enough to activate the autowinder now and then, and thus keep them operating when not being worn.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2008, 09:17 AM

So you're buying a power consuming device to maintain a watch specifically designed to work without an external power source - apart from your body movement of course. That way madness lies.

I have two automatic watches, an Oris I bought myself and an Omega, a wedding gift from my wife.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2008, 09:39 AM

What are these "watches" you speak of?

I'm a little sad not to have owned a wristwatch in several years. I'm a casualty of the less elegant cellphone replacement and my own inherent clumsiness. My last few watches met their untimely demises at the hands of my wrist and various hard surfaces.

I don't own nice shoes either.

Yet another reason chicks don't dig me.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
One thing that automatics do that can be a pain is to slow down or speed up when not worn. To combat this, you can get a "watch winder". These are motorized devices that simply move the watch around enough to activate the autowinder now and then, and thus keep them operating when not being worn.
That's really funny.

Why not just have your servant do it for you?

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by quesera View Post
at the hands of my wrist

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2008, 09:55 AM

I was just wondering the other day whether anyone still wears watches. Everyone I know has replaced theirs with their cell phone. Now I guess I've got my answer.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2008, 10:02 AM

I saw a report on TV that watches sales have fallen off due to the rise of the cellphone/PDA. I don't wear a watch anymore either.
45/47

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2008, 10:25 AM

I can't understand why anybody would replace a watch with a cellphone. My phone is in my pocket, my watch on my wrist. It would really annoy me having to find my phone every time I want to know the time.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2008, 10:52 AM

You have to find your cellphone? Mine's always in the exact same place: my left pants pocket.

The way I see it, cell phones are the new pocket watches.

ghporter
Administrator
May 25, 2008, 11:08 AM

I know people who refuse to wear watches and use their cells for the time. It has advantages, like the cell service being responsible for updating the time and such. But I really don't want to be accessible all the time, and I actually (GASP!) turn my cell phone off when I'm home. I wear wristwatches for a number of reasons, including that I'm very used to them. I have yet to see a decent digital representation of an analog watch display, so it's more difficult to take a pulse with a cell phone, and I think it's more convenient to simply turn my wrist to look at the watch there than to have to pull a phone out of a pocket or holster. Until someone makes a cell phone display that looks both cool and refined, I don't think they'll replace my nice old gold-cased (heirloom) pocket watch.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2008, 11:15 AM

yeah, I still wear a watch. I think its the sexiest accessory I've ever seen.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I can't understand why anybody would replace a watch with a cellphone. My phone is in my pocket, my watch on my wrist. It would really annoy me having to find my phone every time I want to know the time.
You never have to set the time on a PCS phone. My in laws live in CA. As soon as I hit the first tower on the CA side the time adjusts.
45/47

Railroader
Banned
May 25, 2008, 12:42 PM

At any given time I can give the time within 5 minutes without having looked at a clock for hours. I stopped wearing a watch because a job at the time. Wearing a watch put me at increased risk to injury by getting caught in machinery or hindering movement. I got used to not wearing a watch.

If I wore a watch today, it would only be for appearance reasons.

I do own a nice Seiko Kinetic. But it was sat in a dresser drawer for a couple years and I think needs a capacitor replacement. It was an engagement gift from my wife.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2008, 01:01 PM

But I really don't want to be accessible all the time, and I actually (GASP!) turn my cell phone off when I'm home.
Turning off the ringer and ignoring it works just as well for me.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

paul w
Mac Elite
May 25, 2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Exactly. Good for you if you want to whip out your phone every time you want the time. I just casually glace at my wrist. And when I'm doing something physical like biking to and from work, I don't have much of a choice.

I like my Hamilton automatic and I like my Sector quartz. Neither is exotic, fancy or expensive.

dav
Mac Elite
May 25, 2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
I like my Hamilton automatic
me too

one post closer to five stars

Chinasaur
Senior User
May 25, 2008, 08:30 PM

For me, in an era of mass produced, cheap-a.. plastic crap... to own a human crafted piece of precision machinery is a rare treat. Someone put the time, and attention to detail, into assembling something. Not mass produced on an assembly line, not made of cheap plastic.

It affirms a sense of humanity in an increasingly impersonal world. It also affirms a sense of dedication in a time when most humans are happy to do the bare minimum and get by producing garbage.

I don't wear them anymore (cell phone took over that function) but I take them out and admire the workmanship from time to time.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2008, 09:51 PM

I'm the opposite. My "getting dressed up and going out" watch is a classic Tag Heuer while my everyday watch is a Seiko Titanium Kinetic. I don't mind if the Seiko gets scratched up or dinged though it keeps perfect time.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 26, 2008, 08:00 AM

I have been watch free from 20+ years now... Not sure why. I have in the mean time developped the ability to assess time passing fairly well, meaning I don't need to constantly know what time it is.

ghporter
Administrator
May 26, 2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by dav View Post
me too

Those exhibition backs have always fascinated me. That's a great watch there.

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 26, 2008, 10:55 AM

I like the idea of an automatic watch... and never realized they were affordable. I guess I was only aware of the flashy expensive ones. I used to be a watch junkie. I have a zillion Kenneth Cole watches. They look nice, are inexpensive, and have proved amazingly reliable. Here's one of the recent one's I bought (around US$40.00):

I don't wear them much anymore as I find it uncomfortable in this warm climate. The fact that I spend 8-10 hours a day writing code doesn't help either. I invariably end up taking off my watch.

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
You have to find your cellphone? Mine's always in the exact same place: my left pants pocket.
The way I see it, cell phones are the new pocket watches.
Maybe someday cellphone will be small enough to strap to your wrist and the watch will come full circle again. I think automatic watches look sorta cool (on the back anyway) but I have like 16 watches that I wear all the time so an automatic one would be as useless to me as a wind up watch. I wonder if they still make those anymore.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2008, 12:16 AM

I love a time piece with character!

In the early 90's I purchased a Rolex GMT II as a present to myself for a difficult and rewarding task I accomplished. I was warned by a friend, employed as a salesperson at a jewelry store, that a Rolex automatic was the worst watch I could buy. They lose time and are not accurate, just show pieces for the rich, (I'm not rich but I felt rich when I was done,) never the less...

I wore it all the time and observed that it lost 1 second per day. I went on long trips where every fifteen days I would stop it for 15 seconds. After I returned from these trips, I would find that I was off from GMT at the most 1 second.

The watch manual said I should send it back to Rolex every 5 years for calibration. I did just that, it cost $500 and it would come back looking like I had just bought it!

Once, I waited 6 years, during that 6th year the watch began to lose 5-10 seconds a day. I sent it in, it came back looking new and was again accurate.

Before I bought this watch I was buying different quartz watches 2-3 times a year. If something really cool came out I bought it, only to discover the wrist band would tear from the frame or some other such calamity which would render the watch unusable. I couldn't get it repaired so I'd buy another, better, watch with more features. (Features I would never ever use, mind you, but more features none the less.)

Over the last 15 years or so, I have not purchased another watch. Nothing has interested me. My Rolex has been reliable, I use every feature of the GMT II (albeit there is only 3 or 4 features.) The crazy thing is my children ask me where are the numbers, how do you tell time on that thing! No worries, I'll teach them but it makes me laugh! After all this watch will become my eldest sons watch sometime in the future and I hope he appreciates it as much as I do.

Pardon me while I check its accuracy to my iPhone (Hopefully the time setting guy at AT&T did it correctly....)
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2008, 02:19 AM

I can understand watches as a fashion accessory. But having to know the exact time often enough that it's a hassle pulling your phone out of your pocket or glancing at the corner of your screen / car dashboard? I think I grew out of that mania during my mid teens.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2008, 08:59 AM

I, too, stopped wearing a watch years ago. I despise jewelry because I find it a distraction. Especially watches because they're either too tight, or slip.

So, here's what I tell time with...my new pocket watch:

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

paul w
Mac Elite
May 27, 2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I can understand watches as a fashion accessory. But having to know the exact time often enough that it's a hassle pulling your phone out of your pocket or glancing at the corner of your screen / car dashboard? I think I grew out of that mania during my mid teens.
I spend 10 to 12 hours a week on my bike, commuting and otherwise. I'm not exactly going to pull my iPhone out in traffic. It's useful to know whether I'm running late, what route I can afford to take, etc. Also, I'm often out and about and away from my computer, carrying things with both hands. Not to mention when it's pouring rain, or it's cold and I've got gloves on.

I wish I had the type of lifestyle where I didn't have appointments and being on time wasn't necessary. I'd throw away my watch in a heartbeat. Sadly that's just not the case.

There are tons of circumastances where a wrist watch is the most convenient means of telling time or timing something. A cellphone or iPod displays the time, but unless it's on your wrist, it doesn't replace it. It's more akin to a pocket watch.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2008, 11:39 AM

Those exhibition backs have always fascinated me. That's a great watch there.
My brother's pocket watch is a Jeweler's watch with crystal on the back as well as the front. They're really cool, you can watch all the inner workings of the watch. I'll see if I can scan it, not sure how well a pocket watch will scan. (I don't have a camera.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2008, 05:45 PM

I spend 9/10 hours per day at a keyboard.
The Windows taskbar always shows me the time and any meetings or tasks are done in Outlook with reminders.
In the car, my dashboard has a digital clock.
When I get home and the son (11 months) is screaming it means he wants feeding - its 7 o'clock.
When the daughter (4 yrs old) says she's hungry it's 7.30
When the wife says its time for the son to goto bed it's 8.00
The daughter in bed, or to have a bath it's 8.30
Then the wife tells me when its time for bed.

Why do I need a watch ?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
I spend 10 to 12 hours a week on my bike, commuting and otherwise.
Maybe it's time to invest in an inexpensive bike computer then? Looking at your wrist in traffic can be a dangerous distraction.

BasketofPuppies  (op)
Professional Poster
May 27, 2008, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Why do I need a watch?
If you're wearing an automatic watch, you probably don't need a watch. You're likely more interested in appearance than accurate timekeeping.

And these days, you're probably more interested in appearance than accurate timekeeping even if you wear a quartz watch.

It would be interesting to learn the percentage of people with typical Movado watches who can read them. I bet that it's pretty low.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

ghporter
Administrator
May 27, 2008, 10:02 PM

If you're wearing an automatic watch, you probably don't need a watch. You're likely more interested in appearance than accurate timekeeping.

And these days, you're probably more interested in appearance than accurate timekeeping even if you wear a quartz watch.

It would be interesting to learn the percentage of people with typical Movado watches who can read them. I bet that it's pretty low.
That's a pretty broad statement. I am EXTREMELY interested in accurate timekeeping; I'm kind of obsessive about it. I have an "atomic" clock that receives LF radio signals to keep it on time, and I regularly use my GPS receiver to get "real" time to double check. I ALSO am interested in watches of many kinds.

Automatics are a particularly neat kind of watch, so they're particularly interesting to me. I'm no jewelry hound, but I like my watches. And I like them to be accurate. My wife's latest automatic is warranted to be within about 5 seconds per month. My fancy Citizen is warranted to be within a second per quarter. Yeah, I like my watches to be accurate, not just showy.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2008, 10:29 PM

Both my automatic watches are accurate to within a minute or two per month.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2008, 11:42 PM

That's a pretty broad statement. I am EXTREMELY interested in accurate timekeeping; I'm kind of obsessive about it. I have an "atomic" clock that receives LF radio signals to keep it on time, and I regularly use my GPS receiver to get "real" time to double check. I ALSO am interested in watches of many kinds.
OCD.

See my first post in this thread.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
May 28, 2008, 01:16 AM

I have 8 "dead" watches because of batteries. I will take an auto watch as soon as I can afford one. Honestly, 8 $50-$100 watches and every time I replace the battit costs more. Then, the water seal is useless. Sucks.

Actually I go a Bullova for Christmas. Just too fancy for every day.

And I feel naked w/o a watch. As a woman, digging for a watch in a bag just to find the time is ridic. If it's in my pocket (sometimes) fine. But, no, a watch will always have a place in my life.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 28, 2008, 05:19 AM

I respect automatics and I really like mine (a $135 Seiko) because it's a fantastic example of precision engineering. I don't wear mine consistently enough to know how exactly accurate it is, but I would imagine with a few minutes a month. There are 43,200 minutes in a month, and any 100% mechanical device that has an accuracy of +/- .005% is pretty amazing.

I carry a cell phone and my computers all have clocks, but that doesn't stop me from putting a watch on every day.

ImpulseResponse

laieboy
Forum Regular
May 28, 2008, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chinasaur View Post
For me, in an era of mass produced, cheap-a.. plastic crap... to own a human crafted piece of precision machinery is a rare treat. Someone put the time, and attention to detail, into assembling something. Not mass produced on an assembly line, not made of cheap plastic.

It affirms a sense of humanity in an increasingly impersonal world. It also affirms a sense of dedication in a time when most humans are happy to do the bare minimum and get by producing garbage.

My wife just bought me a Breitling Super Avenger as an anniversary present. I have been wearing my very reliable Seiko Kinetic for the last ten years and it's nice not to worry about changing batteries. I like to wear my Breitling as a "dress up" watch since it's the only jewelry I wear/own.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2008, 07:16 AM

Maybe it's time to invest in an inexpensive bike computer then? Looking at your wrist in traffic can be a dangerous distraction.
Don't go overboard, there, erik.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2008, 08:44 AM

The last watch I bought was a limited edition watch of Neil Gaiman's Death from around 1991. It's been cell phones ever since I stopped wearing that.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 28, 2008, 09:00 AM

I wear a Rolex Oyster Perpetual right now. Had it about 6 years or so and love it. But if anyone is old enough to remember, I used to have an LED watch back in the day. One of the ones that had Star Wars written on it. It was the shiznit, man.

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2008, 09:01 AM

I prefer mechanical watches to quartz, but wouldn't mind owning an Eco-Drive again. My current three watches are manual wind (Omega Speedmaster Professional, Hamilton Khaki) and automatic (Seiko skx-173 auto diver)

I prefer them for the artistry, the engineering, and the nostalgia. This quote from the Limes web site helps to sum up part of it:

"Mechanical watches are also engineering marvels. They are the worlds most energy efficient, widely available "machines". Ponder this: The energy produced by the combustion of one CC of gasoline (1/3000 of a gallon) would move the average American automobile less than 3 car lengths. This same energy would power a modern jeweled mechanical watch nonstop for 562 years!"

paul w
Mac Elite
May 28, 2008, 01:01 PM

It's not like I hold my arm in front of my face, it's just a glance.

I'm in far greater peril from all the beautiful ladies in their skimpy warm weather clothes that are suddenly everywhere.

andi*pandi
May 28, 2008, 01:53 PM

I stopped wearing a watch about 15 years ago, carpal tunnel. They are irritating now. I had a really cool watch necklace a while back, but the battery is out, and most places I go there is a clock.

I bought the husband a really nice watch for our wedding, but we can't find anyone to service it. Special battery or something foolish.

laieboy
Forum Regular
May 28, 2008, 06:34 PM

What I'm wearing now:

introducingimacs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2008, 04:41 PM

I need advice :

according to the Suunto website the LUMI series are for ladies. The honking Suunto male watches don't appeal to me.I like the LUMI because its small and useful. Can I wear this watch?

"Introducing iMacs to the developing world"

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 05:15 PM

i love automatic watches, the whir when you move your arm is worth the price of admission alone. at the moment i have a timex, a toy watch and a movado. none of them automatic. i miss my hamilton. i'm a bit of a gear head and the thought of someone agonizing over the movement is more than enough to sway me to deal with setting the thing every week.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by introducingimacs View Post
I need advice :

according to the Suunto website the LUMI series are for ladies. The honking Suunto male watches don't appeal to me.I like the LUMI because its small and useful. Can I wear this watch?

thats gorgeous
we don't have time to stop for gas

Forum Links
Forum Rules