Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > [Shuttle] Titusville vs Cocoa Beach?

[Shuttle] Titusville vs Cocoa Beach?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 01:15 PM

The map shows Titusville as the least distant point to the launchpad. However, when I went there 2 years ago, it was a mess because the viewing points were so small and so easily crowded.
I hope I can go to the east coast this Friday. Is Cocoa Beach a better option? Will it make a big difference if I walk to the northest point of the civilian-allowed property, rather than stay close to downtown?
I may bring a projector and display the live NASA feed. I assume NASA will have its TV signal on the Space Coast open airwaves. Is this correct?

Gator Lager
Senior User
Nov 9, 2008, 02:32 PM

The best civilian viewing is on the NASA causeway. But you have to pay to get in. I think it's around $45. http://www.ksctickets.com/ltt.html
They bus you to the causeway for the launch. And you will be searched. So no guns, knives, explosives, inflatable sheep...etc

But then again you can just park on the 528 or A1A causeway http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=nl before you get into Cape Canaveral. As you drive the over the causeway, you'll see cars parked on the north side of the 528/A1A.

It's best to get their a few hours ahead. You'll see why. It packs up fast. And they are cops everywhere so be patient and drive slow. They love handing out free tickets (speeding). Trust me I know.

It is kinda expensive, but I recommend the Bus ride to the causeway.
Trust me, it's being a night launch. The light and the sound you experience, is worth the ticket.

Gator Lager
Senior User
Nov 9, 2008, 02:35 PM

I don't think NASA open air broadcasts ?? it's on the local cable system. ??
I'm sure you can pick up the local news arial signals. But they usually suck.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2008, 10:39 PM

I grew up in Titusville, but have been away for the past 3 years. There used to be many places along the river to view launches from, but unfortunately, too many real estate types sit on the city council ... those viewing places are now condos. Very disappointing.

However, night launches are quite illuminating, and definitely worth the effort to go see.

There used to be a local radio station that would broadcast NASA Select prior to a launch, but I can't remember exactly what station that is. Open air TV coverage has always been quite lacking.
I gotta have more cowbell.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2008, 09:55 AM

I watched a daytime launch from the A1A, just parked the car and stood on the roof.

Then hung around Cocoa Beach until the shuttle came back for a daytime landing at JFK Space Center. (the sonic booms scared the shite out of me)

In between the launch and landing I did a parachute jump from 12,000 feet over Titusville, which gave me an excellent view of the launchpad and Space Center.

Forum Links
Forum Rules