Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Getting old .emlx files back into Mail

Getting old .emlx files back into Mail
jszrules
Senior User
Nov 25, 2008, 01:16 AM

Running 10.4.11 w/ Mail 2.1.3.

A while ago, I burned a lot of mail files off my machine and deleted some mailboxes from Mail to clean house. Now I'd like to import one of those deleted mailboxes back into Mail. On my desktop, I created a folder structure as follows: ~/Desktop/Oldies.mbox/Messages. The .emlx files I want to import are in there.

From Mail, when I go to Import->Other, do I selected the Oldies.mbox as the folder containing my mbox files? Should I first move it to ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes? How do I go about doing this?

Thanks.

OreoCookie
Nov 25, 2008, 05:47 AM

You don't need to move anything first. Just use the import assistant, that's it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Nov 25, 2008, 12:35 PM

Thanks. So the folder I should select from the Import assistant is the .mbox I created on my desktop? Or the Messages folder inside?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2008, 12:38 PM

I would also suggest at least backing up your mail to an IMAP server (GMail might be a good candidate if the content isn't sensitive). Mailbox formats can be a PITA to work with, but IMAP to IMAP transfers are generally reliable (albeit quite slow).

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Nov 26, 2008, 03:18 AM

All of my Mail accounts are POP...what do you mean mailboxes can be a pain? Are you saying something could get screwed up if I simply import a mailbox?

Also, which folder should I select from the Import assistant? The Oldies.mbox sitting on my desktop or the Messages folder inside?

Thanks

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by jszrules View Post
All of my Mail accounts are POP...what do you mean mailboxes can be a pain? Are you saying something could get screwed up if I simply import a mailbox?
Maybe, maybe not... But what I meant is that there is no standardized mailbox format (other than mbox, which probably comes closest), so with POP you are tethered to whatever import options are provided by the client you wish to use, and if they don't work very well you are basically stuck. This is one of several reasons why I always recommend switching to IMAP

Also, which folder should I select from the Import assistant? The Oldies.mbox sitting on my desktop or the Messages folder inside?
No idea, I've never imported a POP based mailbox through Mail before.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Nov 26, 2008, 05:57 PM

Thanks. I just tried importing from both ~/Desktop/Oldies.mbox and ~/Desktop/Oldies.mbox/Messages and they produced the same message:

"Error: no valid mbox files were found."

Any thoughts? Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules