Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which new MacBook from Apple?

Which new MacBook from Apple?
laieboy
Forum Regular
May 13, 2009, 03:38 PM

Apple has been kind enough to replace my 2005 iBook with a brand new white MacBook, even though it's out of warranty. They are willing to let me upgrade to the newer aluminum MacBook as long as I pay the difference. I'm thinking of getting the base model aluminum MacBook and paying the $299 difference. Is this worth the upgrade or should I just stick with the white MacBook and save my money?

amazing
Professional Poster
May 13, 2009, 04:23 PM

Can't help being curious: Why is Apple replacing your old iBook? Is it the video problem?

As for your decision, if you need firewire, go with the white MacBook. Recent silent upgrades have made it quite close to the unibody MB. If money's no object and if you like the unibody, that's your best choice.

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2009, 04:47 PM

You can compare systems side-by-side on Apple's website. But as someone who uses the white MB and the latest unibody MB I can tell you that unless you need firewire, go for the unibody. Here's why:

Trackpad
Lighter
LCD
Better resale

The new trackpad is glass and it is probably my favorite feature of the new MB. It seems trivial, but your fingers just glide across it so easily. It has more usable area since there is no button. And the three finger swipe to navigate back/forward in the browser is real nice. The click on the new MB might be more audible, which is annoying though.

The weight. The new MB is noticeably lighter, important if you will be traveling.

The screen is glossier than the white MB's, but I love the bright screen. It takes a second to get to full brightness. The white MB will need to warm up for several minutes to get to full brightness.

Finally, resale. I know it may seem trivial now, but if you get the white one, you're getting 'old' technology.

Overall, the new MB feels more solid due to the unibody construction. The keyboards on both are very comfortable, but I believe I prefer the new MB's.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2009, 02:43 AM

If you absolutely need FW -> plastic MB.

Anybody else will want to get the Al MB. Personally I find th high-end Al MB the most attractive. The better specs and especially the backlit KB are worth it IMHO.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 14, 2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by laieboy View Post
Is this worth the upgrade or should I just stick with the white MacBook and save my money?
Without question its worth it
you get a better looking alu enclosure
faster processor,
A much much better better GPU.

As Simon posted if you need FireWire or if you don't care about the looks of the unibody case or if you like the white polycarbonate case then go with the low end 999 MacBook.

Personally if I had the option of "upgrading" my old MB, I'd leap at the unibody MB. Just my $.02 but then I'm kind of biased because I did by the unibody MBP and think it was a great upgrade.
~Mike

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2009, 08:11 AM

Well
I just picked up a new unibody cheap and with it sitting next to my black macbook I am more than a little torn.
If not for the lack of Firewire it would be a "No-Brainer" the new one is amazing.

It is hard to appreciate the solid structure of the case until you live with it for a few days,opening and closing the screen annd moving it around all while next to the plastic one.

I have compared the screens a lot and I think I prefer the new one now too but I have not compared them outside yet.

The new one feels faster,especially on the internet.

The new trackpad is great,really great.

I need Firewire and I think I will keep the new one anyway and just access my drives on my Mini until I see or decide to get a giant MBP.

Why can't Apple make it easy?

Ed

amazing
Professional Poster
May 14, 2009, 12:56 PM

Why should Apple make it easy?

After all, from Apple's point of view, the absolute best thing has happened: you bought 2 laptops! Apple's in the business of selling stuff, in the end.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by IronPen View Post
You can compare systems side-by-side on Apple's website. But as someone who uses the white MB and the latest unibody MB I can tell you that unless you need firewire, go for the unibody. Here's why:

Trackpad
Lighter
LCD
Better resale

The new trackpad is glass and it is probably my favorite feature of the new MB. It seems trivial, but your fingers just glide across it so easily. It has more usable area since there is no button. And the three finger swipe to navigate back/forward in the browser is real nice. The click on the new MB might be more audible, which is annoying though.

The weight. The new MB is noticeably lighter, important if you will be traveling.

The screen is glossier than the white MB's, but I love the bright screen. It takes a second to get to full brightness. The white MB will need to warm up for several minutes to get to full brightness.

Finally, resale. I know it may seem trivial now, but if you get the white one, you're getting 'old' technology.

Overall, the new MB feels more solid due to the unibody construction. The keyboards on both are very comfortable, but I believe I prefer the new MB's.
I 2nd this post - bought the unibody macbook for the same reasons listed here.

I'd also head over to Crucial and pick up the 4GB upgrade - brand new MacBook for under $400. Great deal for you.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

laieboy  (op)
Forum Regular
May 15, 2009, 04:27 PM

Thanks for all of your responses! After much thought I have decided to go with the base 24" iMac. I figured that will be of more use to me since I already have a laptop, albeit a G4 PowerBook.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 15, 2009, 06:20 PM

Congrats on the decision!

I'm still curious why Apple replaced your iBook--are you sworn to secrecy?

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2009, 09:33 PM

Hey guys.... for those of you that do like me and the OP.. we access our firewire drives via a Mac mini on our networks... I found a great proggie I haven't seen too much about here.

Its called Bonjour Mounter. I have mine set to launch on startup and it automatically mounts your drives from the network. Its not command line or anything.. its actually very easy to set up. I went to the unibody mbp and lost my firewire 400 so i just put it on my mini and mount it via the proggie.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

laieboy  (op)
Forum Regular
May 16, 2009, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
I'm still curious why Apple replaced your iBook--are you sworn to secrecy?
It had problems going to sleep and not waking. They replaced the logic board three times before they offered me a new MacBook.

macfix
May 19, 2009, 12:38 AM

This discussion has helped me in my decision also. Yet it's still difficult to let go of firewire...

amazing
Professional Poster
May 19, 2009, 02:20 AM

well, i still use firewire pretty much every day...

which was why I ended up with the previous gen MBP with matte screen--brand new at a closeout price that was less than the upper tier unibody MB (the one with the illuminated keyboard.) Matte and firewire, I'm happy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules