Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Going to Hawaii (Big Island) in Feb for 2 weeks - What to do?

Going to Hawaii (Big Island) in Feb for 2 weeks - What to do?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 09:14 AM

I'm not usually a beach type guy so I get sick of that quickly. In fact, I'd probably rather sit in the hotel surfing MacNN than suntan on the beach, cuz I find sitting on the beach painfully boring. What to see on the Big Island (or elsewhere in Hawaii)?

I'm there for a conference which ends at 1 pm every day, and I'm there for a week. I'm staying at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel for the conference for the week, and then I don't know where I'll be staying or if I should even stay on the same island. Any suggestions?

I don't scuba dive, and probably will get my fill of snorkeling in the week at the resort. I was thinking of maybe renting a condo for a week or something after the conference but I'm not sure where. I have been to Kauai for a week and we enjoyed just hiking around and checking out some of the sights. I learned basic surfing when I was there, and it might be nice trying it again for an afternoon or something, but I'm not really interested in pursuing more than that since I'm not a strong swimmer.

I will also be bringing my camera (Canon 7D) although I'm not exactly sure what lenses to bring. I'm thinking maybe a 17-55 IS and a 70-200 f/4 IS. (I have a 400 mm f/5.6 but it's probably too big to lug around.)

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 12, 2009, 09:42 AM

Been to Hawaii 3 times. Kaui, Maui, and Oahu. I suggest helicopter tour. Definitely the best way to see the island.

Other than that, find some booze cruises. Nothing says vacation like getting wasted while tooling about on the ocean.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 10:39 AM

Hmmm... The helicopter tour seems interesting, although I can do that while I'm still at the conference resort.

I won't bother with the booze cruise though.

However, I will be sure to check out the volcanos.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 10:54 AM

What to do?
Hawaiian chicks?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 12:27 PM

I have never been, but hear Waipio Valley is spectacular.

It certainly looks that way in pictures.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Nov 13, 2009, 01:30 PM

I went ziplining in Kauai and it was AMAZING, not sure if they do it on the Big Island.

andi*pandi
Nov 13, 2009, 03:13 PM

bike down the mountain in kauai, kayak to a hidden waterfall, go to a luau, have a fabulous time?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2009, 03:45 PM

Things I'd recommend checking out (having grown up on the big island):
- green sand beach
- volcano national park
- the lava flow, either via hiking or helicopter
- mauna kea observatory
- waipio valley
- the farmer's market in down-town hilo (saturdays)

There are plenty of beaches too, both black & white sand.

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 13, 2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
There are plenty of bitches too, both black & white kind.
That's how I read it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2009, 05:31 PM

There is plenty to do on the big island. Tons of hikes. Def. go for a helicopter tour (it's the only one of the islands really worth it IMHO). The beaches on the island aren't that great anyway (compared to the others), so don't feel like you have to go.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2009, 12:32 PM

Thx. For Kauai, I probably won't go because I've already been there. I don't think I'll do ziplining cuz I can do that anywhere and I'm already a climber so it's not a big deal for me (unless they do one over a falls or canyon or something). The heli tour does seem interesting though.
Things I'd recommend checking out (having grown up on the big island):
- green sand beach
- volcano national park
- the lava flow, either via hiking or helicopter
- mauna kea observatory
- waipio valley
- the farmer's market in down-town hilo (saturdays)

I just found out there are two hotels for which I have conference rates. The conference is at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, and I've booked there, but they also have rooms at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel. They seem to be on basically the same grounds, but Hapuna is a lot cheaper (by $100 per night).

Mauna Kea: 62-100 Mauna Kea Beach Drive 96743
Hapuna: 62-100 Kauna'oa Drive 96743

Is Mauna Kea Beach Hotel that much better? Probably, but I just thought I'd ask. BTW, I don't care about golf courses.

EDIT:

I just read that the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel closed for 2 years because of an earthquake... but then put in $150 million for renovations and reopened only this year to accolades. Sounds promising.
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 14, 2009 at 12:42 PM. )

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2009, 02:19 AM

Mauna Kea is the nicer of the two hotels.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2010, 04:31 PM

Mauna Kea is the nicer of the two hotels.
Yeah, I kept my reservation there. Glad I made the right choice. Thx.

So, I'll be a week in that resort, and then another week I haven't booked yet. I'm thinking of going to Molokai and/or Lanai but I'm told I only need to go to those places for a couple of days. Not sure exactly how to set up that last week. Also, travel is going to be annoying since it seems more like Maui (or Oahu) is the bigger hub for transportation to those islands, not the Big Island.

I'm flying in and out of Kona so after going to Molokai or Lanai, I'll have to get back to the Big Island.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
I went ziplining in Kauai and it was AMAZING, not sure if they do it on the Big Island.
"What to do?"

Catch a plane to Kauai. No reason to go to any of the other islands.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2010, 05:15 PM

Molokai and Lanai are both extremely laid back islands. There's little to do on either, you could probably accomplish everything in 2-3 days on either island. Maui is beautiful, but very touristy (and expensive), unless you drive into Hana. Hana reminds me of Molokai, but with stuff to do, and really good food. Oahu is the island version of the mainland, it's very crowded, not at all what you'd expect coming to Hawaii for the first time. Stay away if you can (I live on Oahu...).

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
"What to do?"

Catch a plane to Kauai. No reason to go to any of the other islands.
Well, the reason we weren't planning on going there was because we had already spent an entire week on Kauai a few years ago. Very nice BTW.

Molokai and Lanai are both extremely laid back islands. There's little to do on either, you could probably accomplish everything in 2-3 days on either island. Maui is beautiful, but very touristy (and expensive), unless you drive into Hana. Hana reminds me of Molokai, but with stuff to do, and really good food. Oahu is the island version of the mainland, it's very crowded, not at all what you'd expect coming to Hawaii for the first time. Stay away if you can (I live on Oahu...).
Yeah, we probably won't spend much time on Oahu. Specifically, I wasn't a big fan of Honolulu.

I'll look into Hana.

Rumor
Jan 11, 2010, 10:37 PM

Relax.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2010, 11:11 PM

Those racist mothervockers.

-t

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2010, 11:09 AM

Avoid chocolate covered Macadamia nuts. There's crack cocaine in the center which is why they are so addictive. And oh so damned good.

And if you visit the Volcano National Park, which I highly recommend, take a tour of a lava tube. It's cool. And oh, avoid at all costs those holes in the ground with steam coming out of them. Take my word for it.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Avoid chocolate covered Macadamia nuts. There's crack cocaine in the center which is why they are so addictive. And oh so damned good.
Heh. A friend in Hawaii used to send us 2 CASES of various Macadamia nuts every year. I could eat a whole can of them in an hour, and a couple of cans a day.

And if you visit the Volcano National Park, which I highly recommend, take a tour of a lava tube. It's cool. And oh, avoid at all costs those holes in the ground with steam coming out of them. Take my word for it.
That lava tube sounds interesting. Thx.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2010, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I'm thinking maybe a 17-55 IS and a 70-200 f/4 IS. (I have a 400 mm f/5.6 but it's probably too big to lug around.)
The 400 would be nice to have but too heavy to take around the island. Last (and only time) I was on the big island we did a lot of hiking in the lush central parts of the island. I hope you post a few photos, have a great time.
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2010, 01:27 AM

Volcanoes National Park

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 01:10 PM

Now I'm thinking of staying only on the Big Island and renting an SUV for the entire 2 weeks. The conference ends at 1 pm every day, so there time to drive around even during the conference period. Parking at the resort is $15 a day.

It seems like it might be too much of a hassle and expense to fly to Molokai for two days, but I'm not sure yet.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 01:34 PM

Now I'm thinking of staying only on the Big Island and renting an SUV not-at-all-anything-like-a-SUV-wagon-because-SUVs-are-evil for the entire 2 weeks. The conference ends at 1 pm every day, so there time to drive around even during the conference period. Parking at the resort is $15 a day.
Fixed that for ya. Just in case.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 02:20 PM

Heh.

Normally I'd just rent a compact to save on gas, but apparently there are roads on the Big Island that are quite hard to navigate without a high ground clearance and 4WD.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 03:58 PM

How hard is it to drive up to Mauna Kea Observatory?

Note that I am Canadian and thus am used to driving on snow, and (hopefully) will have an SUV with 4WD when I'm there. The only issue is that technically with Alamo I'm not supposed to drive on unpaved roads.

A guided tour (8 hours, includes lunch) is $170 per person, and they provide the winter coats. I don't feel like packing a winter coat with me to Hawaii.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2010, 04:52 PM

How hard is it to drive up to Mauna Kea Observatory?

Note that I am Canadian and thus am used to driving on snow, and (hopefully) will have an SUV with 4WD when I'm there. The only issue is that technically with Alamo I'm not supposed to drive on unpaved roads.

A guided tour (8 hours, includes lunch) is $170 per person, and they provide the winter coats. I don't feel like packing a winter coat with me to Hawaii.
Snow is unlikely, even at this time of the year. The drive isn't difficult, but if the roads are icy they generally close them.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 06:51 PM

If I just take the tour to the observatory, do you think I actually need an SUV for other parts of the Island?

I've already reserved an SUV, but I'm thinking it might just make more sense to get a compact like Doofy suggested and take the guided tour for the observatory.

The main thing about the SUV is 1) I generally don't like driving SUVs, and 2) Terrible gas mileage.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 09:28 PM

Hmmm... Some people are recommending online in forums not to drive the usual "tourist" rental SUVs to Green Sand Beach anyway. Very difficult even with a higher end "real" SUV, and if you go early enough in the day you can just park in the parking lot and hike it - safer.

What to do, what to do...

EDIT:

Going with the compact. Cancelled the reservation for the suburban assault vehicle.
( Last edited by Eug; Feb 8, 2010 at 12:25 AM. )

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2010, 04:07 AM

Eug--
How soon do you leave? I divide my year, 6 months living in London, Ontario and 6 months in Maui. Am in Maui right now. If you have any questions, I might be able to answer.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2010, 02:07 AM

Even though I myself am a tourist, I want to slap the tourists here wearing the dime store Hawaiian shirts. It seems the rule also is to wear them with tube socks and sandals. I also want to slap the tourist restaurant managers for having a rule of endlessly playing nothing but stereotypical Hawaiian music.

P.S. The Mauna Kea is indeed a nice resort. The Hapuna looks OK from the outside, but the room I glanced at looked nowhere near as nice. Heluvalot cheaper though. eg. One month's of wireless internet access at Hapuna is the same price as one week of internet access at Mauna Kea.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2010, 03:25 AM

Eug--
How's the trip going?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2010, 08:32 AM

Don't even think about bringing back a piece of lava rock. Just don't.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2010, 11:05 AM

We went to Oahu for our honeymoon. Wished we had rented a Harley.
45/47

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2010, 04:27 PM

Don't even think about bringing back a piece of lava rock. Just don't.
Wasn't planning to, but why? Too cheesy? Bad karma?

Originally Posted by WizOSX View Post
How's the trip going?
I'm now at a house on the waterfront in Milolii. Despite being a very big modern house with satellite TV, broadband, a huge kitchen and multiple bedrooms, and despite the fact that it's right at the edge of the sea, perched on a small lava cliff with a 270 degree view of the water, it costs less than the resort. The only real drawback is that it's 20 miles from the nearest store, but in a way that's a big bonus rather than a drawback. I was glad to leave the obnoxious tourists at the resort. Our last day there was topped off by some 10 year old girl coughing loudly and repeatedly into the breakfast buffet, with mom and dad doing absolutely nothing about it.

I haven't had a chance to go through all my pix yet, or learn the new Aperture 3 either, but here are a few nonetheless:

Whale watching last week.

We took a hike down Waipio Valley too. I'm glad I didn't try driving down.

In the valley are some feral horses. Except some sound like donkeys. They're remarkably tame, basically because people feed them so they come by looking for food.

This is the view from the house we're in now.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2010, 05:37 PM

Re: not taking lava rocks

It is said if you take any lava rocks away from the islands you will suffer a nasty curse from Hawaii's female god of fire, forget her name...Pele maybe.

My aunt took some and had to FedEx the rocks back, after suffering from extremely bad luck.
iPad Mini A7 32GB

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2010, 06:26 PM

]

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2010, 06:29 PM

I couldn't find good source material to photoshop a DHARMA van in here.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 22, 2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by QuadG5Man View Post
Re: not taking lava rocks

It is said if you take any lava rocks away from the islands you will suffer a nasty curse from Hawaii's female god of fire, forget her name...Pele maybe.

My aunt took some and had to FedEx the rocks back, after suffering from extremely bad luck.
Ah, this explains the bad luck my family has suffered for the past eight years.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I couldn't find good source material to photoshop a DHARMA van in here.
Ha. I was going to photoshop a polar bear in that horse pic.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2010, 08:20 PM

That house you're in, it's either my uncle's house or right near my uncle's house. Pretty sweet spot indeed.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2010, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Ah, this explains the bad luck my family has suffered for the past eight years.
Lava Rock Return to Hawaii

A friend sitting next to me says there was a Brady Bunch ep about this.
iPad Mini A7 32GB

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2010, 04:01 AM

Eug--
I guess the conference must be over. That's at least a 2 hour drive from Miloli'i to Mauna Kea resort!

Interested that you went down into Waipio Valley--I guess you took the "jeep tour." We thought of going down in but chickened out and stopped at the top.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 08:04 AM

That house you're in, it's either my uncle's house or right near my uncle's house. Pretty sweet spot indeed.
Heh. Small world. I'm in the last house on Kai, and it reminds me of the Arizona/Nevada style of house in terms of colour choices. Is that his?

---

I may have to steal some lava rock just to tempt fate... Brady Bunch be damned.

Conference was at the resort. So yeah, it's over.

We actually walked down the very steep access road to Waipio Valley, and then hiked back up too. Somebody in a pickup offered to take us back up, but we walked back up anyway, just for the exercise.

It's apparently about a mile up. We rented a compact car, and glad we did, even though it meant having to walk for places like Waipio. Given the amount of driving necessary, gas for a 4WD would have been horrendously expensive.

Went to the top of Mauna Kea today. Serious headache, light-headedness, and got a dry cough too. Not knowing that much about altitude sickness, I'm guessing I'm at higher risk than average for high altitude pulmonary edema, had I stayed up there or gone even higher. When I lived out west, I snowboarded on Whistler-Blackcomb several times. The peaks there were 7000-8000 feet, and at that elevation I'd get mild headaches but never was light-headed or had a cough related just to the altitude. The visitor center at Mauna Kea is at 9000, and the peak is at 14000. Nobody else started coughing, just me. Anyways, here are some telescopes:

P.S. All over the lava along the highway on the island is graffiti in coral. One that caught my eye though was this one. Can anyone translate Hebrew?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2010, 11:18 AM

"If you can't read this, learn Hebrew."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 23, 2010, 11:51 AM

"Big Mac was here."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 11:53 AM

"Kosher pork for sale"

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2010, 12:00 PM

"Write something unfunny in quotes here"

imitchellg5