Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Getting ready for the i5/i7 MBP

Getting ready for the i5/i7 MBP (Page 4)
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2010, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Yeah. Not knowing what Apple is up to is starting to piss me off, as well.

Inventory is starting to run seriously low, though.
Which may mean they're trying to get rid of their stock, or that they're just trying to keep their inventory low in general. As to not overproduce. A problem Apple has a lot of back in the 90s. (According to my Mac Bathroom Reader book.)

Apple likes to pride itself in owning the "high end" laptop market. Not throwing in i5/i7 chips in the next refresh would look really bad. Especially since the "back to school" season is coming up fast.

I, for one, don't really care if Apple goes all crazy and does some insane updates. Don't care at all about more features or expansion slots. Just give all the specs a boost to keep people happy and buying.

(Though I wouldn't mind blue ray. That would be a nice add on. Not that I see myself using it.... ever... it would just be kind of nice to have.)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Which may mean they're trying to get rid of their stock, or that they're just trying to keep their inventory low in general. As to not overproduce. A problem Apple has a lot of back in the 90s. (According to my Mac Bathroom Reader book.)

Apple likes to pride itself in owning the "high end" laptop market. Not throwing in i5/i7 chips in the next refresh would look really bad. Especially since the "back to school" season is coming up fast.
The alternative, and one that Apple HAS chosen before IIRC, is to just say "**** you, what you're offering isn't good enough" and just skip a generation.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2010, 08:38 AM

Considering i7 vs Penryn performance levels it's hard to imagine Apple saying "what you're offering isn't good enough".

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Considering i7 vs Penryn performance levels it's hard to imagine Apple saying "what you're offering isn't good enough".
Exactly....

Especially with intel chips these days...

And a hungry customer base.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2010, 03:34 AM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2010, 04:12 AM

I was thinking graphics.

P
Mar 19, 2010, 05:05 AM

Graphics performance is roughly equivalent to the 9400M. Granted, being equal with a chip years old is no big achievement, but nVidia doesn't have anything newer and better to offer, so Arrandale graphics is essentially equal to the competition.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2010, 05:40 AM

Regarding graphics you're both right IMHO.

In terms of the Arrandale IGP Apple could indeed say "what you're offering isn't good enough". OTOH Nvidia doesn't have anything better to bring to the table right now. Optimus appears a promising option (once it ships). The question is if that's what Apple's waiting for or if this update delay is the result of a shortage of Arrandale, lack of resources (GodPad launch), Steve's priorities, or a combination of those.

OreoCookie
Mar 19, 2010, 07:42 AM

I'm getting antsy as well. I'm eagerly awaiting `being allowed to' place an order for a new machine, the wait is killing me. I hope Apple will include a discrete gpu in addition to Intel's gpu also with the 13" model.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I hope Apple will include a discrete gpu in addition to Intel's gpu also with the 13" model.
I guess that makes two of us.

Not that's it's going to happen though.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Graphics performance is roughly equivalent to the 9400M. Granted, being equal with a chip years old is no big achievement, but nVidia doesn't have anything newer and better to offer, so Arrandale graphics is essentially equal to the competition.
I don't believe this. Are you telling me that Intel improved their IGP performance to 5 times their previous level? No way.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2010, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I don't believe this. Are you telling me that Intel improved their IGP performance to 5 times their previous level? No way.
No, because they didn't need to.

9400M enjoyed a 60-180% (1.6x to 2.8x) performance advantage over the last generation of Intel mobile integrated graphics.

Intel added 20% more execution units and doubled the clockrate for GMA HD on i5/i7, along with a 30% bump in memory bandwidth to keep it fed.

P
Mar 20, 2010, 07:49 AM

The memory bandwidth is actually the same on the mobiles - only Clarkdale hets DDR3-1333 support - but Intel also added two more mathboxes, which is a 200% increase in computation hardware on complex shaders. But don't trust us, lpkmckenna, take a look at some tests comparing it with 9400M and the Radeon 4290 - the 'net is full of them. In fact, my brand-new work laptop (HP) has a Radeon 3450 GPU. That chip isn't too far ahead of Arrandale's graphics - maybe a 20% boost or so.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The memory bandwidth is actually the same on the mobiles - only Clarkdale hets DDR3-1333 support
Most of the 4500MHD guys were running DDR2-800 (G[LS]40 is DDR2 only, G[MS]45 supports DDR2 or DDR3 but mostly shipped with DDR2), whereas with GMA HD everyone except the ultra low power kids is on DDR3-1067.

P
Mar 22, 2010, 04:27 AM

I keep forgetting that Intel offers nerfed versions of their GPUs - to me the top versions are nerfed enough.

Come to think of it, isn't the iMac almost due for a Clarkdale update? Maybe they'll update it together with the MBP - afterall, there is nothing left to wait for down the line.

paterss
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2010, 12:35 PM

I'm also pretty impatient now.
My old Powerbook G4 is getting long in the tooth, promised my oldest daughter she could have it once I get a new one.
Not going to buy one now with something new just around the corner (its a long corner..!)
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2010, 06:43 PM

Rumor: Acer cornered a substantial portion of the chips?

Could it be true?

Core processors constrained, holding up new MacBooks | The Apple Core | ZDNet.com

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2010, 03:44 AM

They're basically quoting a recent DigiTimes report. I linked to that report above.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2010, 03:49 AM

Mac head: Is everything about the iPad now? The wait for the new MBP and MP has me worried. Will there ever be an update?
Steve: Don't worry.

Supposedly a true story.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2010, 09:19 AM

I'm ready, I'm ready, already!

Been ready since about Feb 1.

dubd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2010, 07:45 PM

I got tired of waiting and I bought a Alienware m11x to be my travel laptop. My 2009 MBP will be used at home.

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2010, 12:51 PM

Yeah. I've been waiting for a refresh since the beginning of the year. My white macbook is getting kind of tired at about three years old (bought it right after the May 2007 refresh).

For a lot of people, that wouldn't be too bad, but I'm a software developer, and it's my primary work machine (I like a small notebook that I can carry around - I have a big external monitor that I plug in when at home). I've maxed out the RAM and hard disk, but it's still sort of slow at a lot of things - not to mention that the GMA950 graphics is kind of slow (probably the main thing I would gain by upgrading would be faster graphics). I would buy the current 13" macbook pro, but I know that as soon as I buy, Apple is going to upgrade, and then I'll feel bad about it (my policy for the past ten years has been to always buy right after a refresh).

reRESERVEDMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2010, 03:00 PM

The iPad came out yesterday. All in all great but what's with us who are waiting for the new MBPs/MPs?! Will Apple update their professional line in the next month or so? I'm tired of waiting for the new computer and I just don't want to buy an old one especially that I have a working Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz C2D.

Does anyone have any idea when they could resurface?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Phoible View Post
Yeah. I've been waiting for a refresh since the beginning of the year. My white macbook is getting kind of tired at about three years old (bought it right after the May 2007 refresh).
Tell me about it . I am using the original white Macbook, [strike]the first Intel Mac portable ever[/strike], which I bought on May 2006, and is on its second Lithium battery.

I'll be the first in line to get an i5 or, in its defect, an i7 MBP.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 02:00 AM

Intel ready? Check.
Supply channels dried out? Check.
GodPad launch completed? Check.

Any day now I'd say. Here's hoping.

laieboy
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2010, 03:12 AM

I'm getting tired of waiting! I might just head down tomorrow and pick one up from my local bookstore. I've been using my current PowerBook G4 for almost 7 years now. The wait is killing me!!!
Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual-Quad Core • iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz i7 Quad Core

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 06:01 AM

My friend's patience has run out too. She's ordering on Tuesday - new MBPs or not.

She was planning on getting a stock model. So at least she'll be able to return it if Apple does indeed update soon after.

P
Apr 5, 2010, 02:09 PM

This thread is now more than 4 months old...

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 02:44 PM

New rumors. From a Taiwanese newspaper (Google translation). Apparently the new MBPs were scheduled for March and were pushed back because of the Intel Core iX shortage.

According to this rumor we should expect new MBPs along with new a MBA and MB. Expect 8 hours battery life on all MBPs.

New MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air Models Scheduled for Launch This Month? - Mac Rumors
Taiwanese Website says new MacBook Pros/Airs starting production this month | 9 to 5 Mac
Taiwan paper says new MacBooks due this month | Electronista

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 06:21 PM

Can someone who actually speaks Chinese translate that for us? The mangled language on the Babelfished version makes it unclear whether they are saying the new models will be introduced in April or June, and all the articles quoting this have had an unnerving tendency to rely on the machine translated version.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Can someone who actually speaks Chinese translate that for us? The mangled language on the Babelfished version makes it unclear whether they are saying the new models will be introduced in April or June, and all the articles quoting this have had an unnerving tendency to rely on the machine translated version.
Apparently even those fluent in Chinese find the article ambiguous.

From the 9 to 5 Mac link I gave above:

Originally Posted by 9 to 5 Mac
Update: There is some ambiguity as to whether the MacBook Pro will actually ship in April. Even our Chinese readers are having a difficult time understanding the verbiage. As near as we can tell the release will start in April but orders may not catch up to demand until June?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2010, 07:26 AM

Hardmac says today's the day.

Store's not down yet though. I guess we'll know for sure in two hours.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 6, 2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2010, 09:02 AM

Nope.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2010, 09:14 AM

MacBidouille was just looking for an excuse to go out for lunch...

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2010, 09:22 AM

Well that was definitely bull.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 10:53 AM

Booooooooooo

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 11:40 AM

But a good lunch was had by all!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2010, 02:52 AM

They're taking it all back. And now they're sure. This time it's for real. Mon, April 12.

Hardmac.com: Updates on Future MacBook Models

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2010, 11:59 AM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2010, 10:35 AM

I just had my 2008 MBP die on me yesterday. Apparently it needs a new logic board, but I think I'd probably rather put that money toward a new machine. I haven't been following Apple's portable releases very closely recently so I didn't realize they haven't released new MBPs for so long. I really don't want to buy just before a model change, so I guess I'm just going to have to wait it out. I hope it comes soon.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2010, 12:12 PM

Did you have Applecare for the 2008 MBP?

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 02:10 PM

Interesting. I was thinking about selling my MBP 15 and upgrade to a 17 i7. I don't really need one because you can see what I have in my signature, but I want it.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Did you have Applecare for the 2008 MBP?
No, and I'm a couple of months out of the doubled warranty that came with my credit card. This is actually the first time I've had a failure like this on an Apple machine. I've had a lot of hard disks fail over the years, but that's about it.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2010, 02:09 AM

Sounds like it's an early 2008 MBP. Are you sure it's not related to the Nvidia issue? If it is, Apple will replace the board for free.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2010, 06:26 AM

I think that issue is about not getting video, as opposed to refusing to boot at all, which is what mine is doing.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2010, 02:01 AM

MacBook Pro Updates Imminent (Really), Part Numbers Appear

No mention of the 13" MBP though.

The entry-level 15" is $100 more expensive (dedicated GPU?). The high-end 15" is $100 cheaper. The 17" is $200 cheaper.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2010, 12:53 PM

The low end 15" MBP is probably losing the IGP-only option. Remember, they only intro'd the 9400M-only version to deal with the recession.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2010, 03:16 PM

Actually, the low-end is still here. It's just $100 more. Remember, before there was only two 15" models and no 15" below $1999. I'd say the $100 extra might be for the dedicated GPU we're now going to see on the low-end model.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2010, 05:18 PM

It's about damn time.

Now lets seem if this rumor actually pans out. This time.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2010, 05:37 PM

What's the historical price delta between a similarly configured Sony Vaio?
VAIO F Series PC | Sony | SonyStyle USA
I thought it was $500, making the i7 Apple laptop $1500. That would be nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules