Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WWDC 2011 Keynote Thread

WWDC 2011 Keynote Thread
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 01:18 PM

Anyone want to join me in this spiffy new thread I've created for the event? The forums actually work 20% of the time right now!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

andi*pandi
Jun 6, 2011, 01:33 PM

airdrop sounds like dropbox.

new lion stuff sounds very ios-ish. What will the poor schlubs without trackpads do with swiping?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 01:38 PM

Lion will only be available in the Mac App Store. I think this is a stupid idea.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 02:02 PM

I'm wondering if they're just being low key about a retail option. Maybe you'll be able to order a DVD copy from an Apple Store.

iOS 5 Notifications look pretty nice.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 02:05 PM

4GB download AND App Store only? Idiotic dumb ass Steve move.
Hope I can make an image once and use it again.

not loving the Lion here... not this iOS shit anyway.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 02:08 PM

$29 is nice. I was thinking this morning that Lion would probably be $29 because Snow Leopard was so successful at that price.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 02:09 PM

What the? Why are they putting the split iPad keyboard in the middle of the screen?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2011, 02:11 PM

No need to tether iOS to a computer for setup and updates anymore.

Nice

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 02:11 PM

Finally computer independent setup and OTA OS updates for iOS 5. Delta updates on both iOS and Lion are nice improvements.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 02:21 PM

Rumors were false: iOS 5 will be 3GS compatible. Thank you for not be douchie there, Apple.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 02:50 PM

Free iCloud = Substantially expanded MobileMe - can it really been free? Is Apple finally being truly generous? I'd be amazed if there aren't any catches there.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 02:56 PM

11:55 am iTunes match - $24.99 a year
11:55 am iTunes matched songs upgraded to 256kbps AAC DRM-free

Woot!!!

-t

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 02:59 PM

iTunes Match: $25 a yr to store your ripped music in the iCloud.

Certainly a better deal than $99 for MobileMe, but not a buy for me. I've got one MacBook and one iPhone, so this syncing isn't worth it for me. If I had a bunch of kids with their own iDevices, then it would look pretty good.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2011, 02:59 PM

Now the $25 price point that people were saying iCloud would cost. Its for iTunes Match, not iCloud. It matches CD's you've ripped into your iTunes to songs on the iTunes Store, if it isn't there it uses your copy. Matches are upgraded to 256k AAC with no DRM.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 03:01 PM

But what about music streaming from the iCloud ?

W/o it, it's just half-assed.

-t

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2011, 03:06 PM

apple.com just updated

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 03:08 PM

I guess Apple isn't interested in music streaming.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 03:13 PM

I'm ok with that once i get my 1TB iPhone.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 03:14 PM

Btw, cloud buttons already appear in iOS 4.3 App Store and iTunes.

-t

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 03:15 PM

I can't get my iPhone's contacts to synch with MobileMe properly. I have trouble believing they're actually going to get much more complex synching to work right.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2011, 03:21 PM

I am wondering what paid up MoblieMe users will get for their $99, apart from more storage than the basic 5GB for free that iCloud provides.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 03:27 PM

I don't get it.

What do you really get for $25 bucks? The ability to sync music you own to your phone? Why not just sync it? Why can't you stream it? Who is this going to appeal to? Without streaming it seems completely pointless.

I'm also nervous about something like iPhoto cloud sharing. How is that going to work exactly? I keep my photos meticulously organized. Is my iPhoto library going to be junked up every time my wife takes a picture of shirt she likes to email it to a friend? What about when I take 10 pictures of my kid to get the one I really like. Will all 10 get uploaded right away? What happens if I delete one, do they all get deleted or do I have to sort them on three different devices? What if I won't want the last 1,000 pictures on my phone. How much space would that waste?

A lot of questions. Apple has yet to prove that they can do this sort of thing flawlessly, so until I see it in action I'm going to remain skeptical.

Most of the iOS 5 stuff is pretty great though. love the new camera stuff. I'm sure the Camera+ guys are PISSED OFF though.

Lion for $29 is great, but no disc is weird. Do you have to burn your own emergency startup disc? I'm assuming you can. But how do I explain to my mom that she needs to burn her own emergency startup disc? It seems troublesome.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

andi*pandi
Jun 6, 2011, 03:35 PM

I don't want everything in the cloud. Just certain things.

Am also curious as to what the mobileme users get. Their money back?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2011, 03:36 PM

So if I do iTunes Match, are my local files updated as well? Because this sounds like an amazingly cheap way to get rid of my lingering MP3s
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Lion for $29 is great, but no disc is weird. Do you have to burn your own emergency startup disc? I'm assuming you can. But how do I explain to my mom that she needs to burn her own emergency startup disc? It seems troublesome.
Lion creates an emergency repair volume (apparently it's a special bootable inline disk image) from which the OS can be reinstalled.

But they're going to have to allow technically inclined users to burn themselves an install DVD, or else you won't be able to install Lion on a newly formatted drive.

cjrivera
Professional Poster

"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane

$25? For my family, that's a huge bargain. I guess I won't be using Pandora as much anymore, not when I'll have access to the thousands of songs we'll have in iCloud.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
So if I do iTunes Match, are my local files updated as well? Because this sounds like an amazingly cheap way to get rid of my lingering MP3s
From what I understand, yes.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
$25? For my family, that's a huge bargain. I guess I won't be using Pandora as much anymore, not when I'll have access to the thousands of songs we'll have in iCloud.
Except that it doesn't stream anything. It just allows you to download it to your device.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 03:42 PM

So we've come full circle - iTools has truly gone free again?

As for streaming, once the service goes live Apple will probably announce that in addition to the iTunes matching service, streaming of your library will cost $99 a year.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2011, 03:45 PM

So, does the new iMessage app replace Messages and handle iOS messaging, SMS and MMS, or will there be 2 messaging apps now?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 03:53 PM

Except that it doesn't stream anything. It just allows you to download it to your device.
Doesn't matter, I have tons of space on all my devices. Let's see... I have 22GB free on my phone and 47GB free on my iPad 2.
- Thomas Paine

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
So, does the new iMessage app replace Messages and handle iOS messaging, SMS and MMS, or will there be 2 messaging apps now?
It seems to be two separate messaging platforms, like Blackberry Messaging is separate from text messaging.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Lion will only be available in the Mac App Store. I think this is a stupid idea.

Yeah, I wonder how Lion will be reinstalled in the event that the OS becomes un-bootable?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Doesn't matter, I have tons of space on all my devices. Let's see... I have 22GB free on my phone and 47GB free on my iPad 2.
...and now you'll be able to get the songs on your computer onto your iPhone and iPad!

This changes everything.

andi*pandi
Jun 6, 2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
I guess I have a year to get a computer running Lion. :/ Upside, they're not migrating all the .mac email addy's to @icloud.com or something.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 04:02 PM

Why do you have to run Lion?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 04:04 PM

I guess all of the people hosting sites on MobileMe are SOL?

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Yeah, I wonder how Lion will be reinstalled in the event that the OS becomes un-bootable?
Previously referenced

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 04:05 PM

It seems to me that a lot of this stuff appeals to people who practically never sync their phones. Ever. Which (in my world) is a surprisingly large number of people.

For people who sync regularly and organize their stuff, the iCloud music locker thing is pretty much pointless.
( Last edited by ort888; Jun 6, 2011 at 04:12 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
thanks

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 04:15 PM

...and now you'll be able to get the songs on your computer onto your iPhone and iPad!

This changes everything.
More like get songs from all the different devices we have scattered all over the damned place.

"Did you download the new Incubus?"
"Yeah, it's on my phone or my iPad."
"Which one?"
"I dunno."
- Thomas Paine

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 04:23 PM

What's the iOS interface going to be like for accessing the music on your iCloud?

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2011, 04:26 PM

Lion creates an emergency repair volume (apparently it's a special bootable inline disk image) from which the OS can be reinstalled.

But they're going to have to allow technically inclined users to burn themselves an install DVD, or else you won't be able to install Lion on a newly formatted drive.
I wonder what kind of grief that is going to cause us Hackintosh folks....

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 04:35 PM

What's the iOS interface going to be like for accessing the music on your iCloud?
It will probably be done through the iTunes app, you'll just download your own songs for free in the same manner you would have downloaded them normally. Probably just a special tab for music you own.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 04:36 PM

I guess all of the people hosting sites on MobileMe are SOL?
I think ths will be part of the iCloud as well.

Or do you think Apple just killed iWeb ?

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 04:40 PM

The one thing that Jobs didn't get into was the whole security/privacy/legal thing too... For instance, what if some worker drone sends a spreadsheet full of Social Security numbers into iCloud because she wants to get them onto her iPad?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 04:45 PM

So the 30G of music that John Doe downloaded illegally is just going to magically be accepted by Apple? Music laundering?

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 04:47 PM

The one thing that Jobs didn't get into was the whole security/privacy/legal thing too... For instance, what if some worker drone sends a spreadsheet full of Social Security numbers into iCloud because she wants to get them onto her iPad?
Well, if said hypothetical worker puts that file in a public folder, she deserves to get flogged naked in the town square. But does iCloud automatically and necessarily make file access any more public than it currently is? I don't think it should, but perhaps you're more up to date on this facet of the announcement.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
So the 30G of music that John Doe downloaded illegally is just going to magically be accepted by Apple? Music laundering?
That's a good point... Also, what happens if I just create a blank MP3 file the same length as a real track I wanted to steal and tagged it with that track's info, could I trick iTunes into downloading that track even though I didn't ever own it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules