Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Which display for my Mac Pro?

Which display for my Mac Pro?
laieboy
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2011, 05:35 AM

Looking to replace my monitor with a larger display. Currently I have a 20" Apple Cinema Display hooked up to my Mac Pro. I would like to upgrade to a 24" display. The Apple version is too expensive so I'm looking at other brands. Don't want to spend more than $300. I'm also open to purchasing a used Apple display. Any suggestions?
Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual-Quad Core • iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz i7 Quad Core

TheWoodHouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2011, 10:56 AM

Head on over to ebay & search for 20" cinema display - there's one there for $275 - but get them to do a pixel check first... :-)

Otherwise a singular display that is nice: Dell U2410 - again on ebay - but you're pushing the price up to around $500...

Displays for $300 will (more than likely) be pretty average in quality.

Go with a used apple product.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2011, 05:26 PM

Displays do wear out over time; a used Apple 20" makes no sense. And the new ACD are all glossy (which many image pros including me find unacceptable) and expensive.

Dell has made so many junk products it is hard to know which ones may be ok.

The Viewsonic VP2365wb display is currently a good value, ~$300. I have been using one with my MBP for a few months now and give it 5 stars at the price. A step up but much more costly would be the NEC 2490.

HTH

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Aug 28, 2011 at 05:46 PM. )

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Displays do wear out over time; a used Apple 20" makes no sense. And the new ACD are all glossy (which many image pros including me find unacceptable) and expensive.

Dell has made so many junk products it is hard to know which ones may be ok.

The Viewsonic VP2365wb display is currently a good value, ~$300. I have been using one with my MBP for a few months now and give it 5 stars at the price. A step up but much more costly would be the NEC 2490.

HTH

-Allen Wicks
Do you feel the Viewsonic VP2365LED is worth the extra price compared to the non-LED version? I'm in need of a new monitor for my 1,1 MacPro as my Samsung 19" CRT is slowly dying. I was considering the HPZR24W but this Viewsonic looks nice. Thanks.
( Last edited by cgc; Aug 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2011, 03:00 PM

Right now Amazon has one VP2365LED left at $299. I would buy it - it was 50% higher priced when I bought the VP2365wb, or I would have bought the LED version.

Of course newer better displays are always coming out, but this seems a great deal.

-Allen

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2011, 08:24 AM

That last monitor at Amazon sold but looks like they just changed vendors (and price)...they now have 13 available but for $50 more than yesterday. I'm going to hope my monitor makes it to Black Friday...

reader50
Administrator
Sep 3, 2011, 02:22 AM

I currently see Amazon listing it at $300 with free shipping.

Note that when a product is available from multiple vendors, Amazon seems to display a random one. It's most often the one offered by Amazon directly, but it's often a different store. If you see it at a higher price, click their link for other new choices and look over the list.
( Last edited by reader50; Sep 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: corrected links and price)

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I currently see Amazon listing it at $279 with free shipping.

Note that when a product is available from multiple vendors, Amazon seems to display a random one. It's most often the one offered by Amazon directly, but it's often a different store. If you see it at a higher price, click their link for other new choices and look over the list.
The monitor you cited was the non-LED model, the LED model was back at $299 but they had 4 left.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
The monitor you cited was the non-LED model, the LED model was back at $299 but they had 4 left.
Correction: there are 3 left; 1 is coming to me

reader50
Administrator
Sep 3, 2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Oops. I copied the model number from SierraDragon's post into Amazon search, and didn't read closely enough.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Oops. I copied the model number from SierraDragon's post into Amazon search, and didn't read closely enough.
Go stand in the corner] with your hands up.

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2011, 02:33 AM

If you can stretch your budget, the NEC 2490 WUXI2 is a fantastic screen.

kittonian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2011, 06:44 PM

I have tried so many different displays over the years and can honestly tell you that Apple makes the nicest ones without question. I have a 23" and a 20" Cinema display and am completely satisfied. If you are going to purchase a used model make sure you do a pixel check as a lot of people love to sell displays because there are stuck or bad pixels. If you get a good one (or a new one) and take good care of it, you should have many many years of problem free viewing.
Joshua Aaron
President/CEO
Mac Genius - Apple Macintosh & IT Consulting
http://www.macgenius.com

laieboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2011, 08:53 PM

I picked up a used 23" Cinema Display and I couldn't be much happier!
Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual-Quad Core • iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz i7 Quad Core

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2011, 07:20 PM

I got my ViewSonic VP2365-LED yesterday but it took 2.5hrs to drive home (stupid rain in the DC metro area) so I just hooked it up. HOLY COW, what an amazing monitor! Crisp, bright (I turned brightness down to 21 out of 100), and with lots of space. I wanted 1920x1200 but this is plenty of space...especially after running 1280x1024 forever.

Excellent monitor, very happy.

Glad I bought Moom a month ago to manage windows with hotkeys, works like a champ and helps keep the clutter to a minimum.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2011, 01:10 PM

Any Dell Ultrasharp panel is great. A used LCD monitor is a very bad idea. A U2311 or U2410 can be found at reasonable prices. They are all IPS panels.
But only buy Ultrasharps from Dell, the rest is mediocre. But the Ultrasharps are by far the best value if you want a quality IPS panel. There's also a 24" Ultrasharp with LED backlight but I'd stay away from that. LED still sucks for color accuracy.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules