Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook sleeve?

iBook sleeve?
genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2004, 01:23 PM

I just bought a 12" iBook (Apple store had a few of the 900Mhz G3's on closeout at $750). I bought it for school (I have a G4 tower for home use), and love it so far.

I am putting it inside my regular backpack with all my books, but I'm concerned about it being insufficiently protected. What I'd like is a thin sleeve for it with hard sides to protect it while in the bag. I've looked around and see some sleeves, but they have simple nylon sides.

Any thoughts on my conundrum?

Thanks,

-Scott
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

Roy Boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 01:25 PM

try bodyglove. I got one for my powerbook at CompUSA

m_young
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2004, 01:47 PM

what i have isn't exactly a sleeve, but it's not a true case either. It secures on the inside with a strap, and zippers around the iBook. It's made by case logic, and i'm not sure what material it's of... A hard rubber kind of on the outside. I wish it were for a 12 inch though. I think it's made for 15 inch notebooks, but it functions well with my 12.

ou_bobcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 05:07 PM

I suggest a zeroshock. I have one and love it.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 06:44 PM

Yeah, the zero shock is a good choice but I ended up getting a sportfolio bag and it takes care of my powerbook inside a backpack full of books and so far its done its job and then some, the straps come off and it has some zippers for pappers or whatever, heres it is

http://www.marware.com/SportFolio_II.html
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tomkos123
Feb 3, 2004, 07:35 PM

im in exactly the same situation as you with my ibook, carrying it around in a backpack all the time
ive got a sportfolioII and would highly reccommend it!
i started off with one of the tucamo second skin neoprene cases, which i felt after a while just didnt offer enough protection.

Chito
Senior User
Feb 3, 2004, 08:11 PM

zero shock from shinza.com. can't beat it....literally....

ww2junkie42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 08:17 PM

I was on another forum with this question and someone highly recommended this sleeve for a notebook that you are going to put in a backpack. However, it doesn't have any extra pockets and the main compartment won't fit a power cord or anything. It only fits the computer. The link to the website is here (its the "Dash"). It's also only $15

Spire Web Site

Also, here is the link to the other forum(Mac World)

Macworld Forums

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2004, 03:34 AM

Only problem with the "Dash" is that it has no support on the sides like a plastic board or anything like that, getting that is like putting your ibook in a bag before putting it in your backpack, which might reduce scratches but still doesnt protect the ibook from banging backpacks. Thats why I chose the sportfolio II, because it has enough support to keep my PB shock free, and I dont have to worry too much about my screen getting pushed in.

fener
Feb 5, 2004, 02:11 PM

Definitely buy a MacCase. Built for iBook specifications, fits 100%. Has thick pads in such a small sleeve, and nothing would happen to your iBook while inside your bag, even it is stuffed by thick Text books.
And they are silver/aluminum colored!

www.jambags.com or www.macyummies.com

Bought 2 over last 3 months for Powerbook 12" and iBook 12". Perfect!

cryon
Feb 6, 2004, 01:14 PM

Anyone know how i can get a zeroshock sleeve without paying more then twice its price for shippment? I live in Sweden.

castle3
Feb 26, 2004, 01:37 AM

Hey! also try www.booqbags.com
they have bags especially for ibooks and power books .great products. unfortunately i dont have one. But I will soon!
one day you are going to wake up and
live.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2004, 02:32 AM

Castle is right, if I didn't have my sportfolio II, I would sooooo get the booq sleeve. In my opinion its the best lookin sleeve out on the market. Take a look for yourself

http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=22

castle3
Feb 26, 2004, 01:16 PM

Also on the booqbags.com web page, check out the Mamba.XS - for those of you that have to wear your bag Three different ways. Perfect for a Multi-functional person!!
http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=63
one day you are going to wake up and
live.

mac-kerouac
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2004, 05:03 PM

Get a crumpler bag. I have the one called "very busy man." It is big and holds much stuff.

Check out their website, they have good stuff.

Crumpler
iBook G4 12"/640/60/Combo/AE

genevish  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2004, 06:23 PM

Thanks for all the responses. My first choice was for the Zeroshock, but they want an extra $10 for the cheapest shipping option, which just seemed too excessive.

I went with the SportfolioII. I got a Palm case from Marware before, and had a problem with the belt-clip breaking after only a few months. The sent me a replacement right away, no questions asked.

Interestingly, I had a small problem with this order as well. After several weeks I still hadn't gotten an email with a shipping date. I emailed Mike, the General Manager at Marware, and he said there was a problem with the FedEx number I had been assigned and the order never got shipped. He apologized and shipped the bag that day, upping the shipping to second-day air, along with a free keyboard cover for the inconvenience.

Two orders with two problems, yet because of their willingness to make the situation right, I'll still use them again...
Scott Genevish

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2004, 07:30 PM

Here's a tip, with the sportfolio II there are little flaps that protect your 'book from scratches when its inside but in the process of putting the 'book in it seems like the zippers are rubbing on the corners and sides which looked like it scratches the 'book. Till now!!!! all you have to do is flip the little flaps over, kinda like when your weird friends used to flip their eyelids inside out. Flip the flaps over till the inner lining is now out and voila no scratches (not that it ever did indeed scratch).

genevish  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2004, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Here's a tip, with the sportfolio II there are little flaps that protect your 'book from scratches when its inside but in the process of putting the 'book in it seems like the zippers are rubbing on the corners and sides which looked like it scratches the 'book. Till now!!!! all you have to do is flip the little flaps over, kinda like when your weird friends used to flip their eyelids inside out. Flip the flaps over till the inner lining is now out and voila no scratches (not that it ever did indeed scratch).
After looking at it, I see what you mean. Thanks for the tip!
Scott Genevish

teknik
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2004, 02:34 AM

Incase Designs has some cool ones too, they're also available at the Apple retail stores.

jane_winty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2004, 02:35 AM

I got Brain Cell from Tom Bihn for $50 + shipping. They have a size specifically for the ibook.

So far, I'm pretty happy with it. It's a hard case protection, and the ibook "hangs" inside the case.

http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/mer...roduct_Count=5

ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2004, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by jane_winty:
I got Brain Cell from Tom Bihn for $50 + shipping. They have a size specifically for the ibook.

So far, I'm pretty happy with it. It's a hard case protection, and the ibook "hangs" inside the case.

http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/mer...roduct_Count=5
Anybody got a Water Field sleeve? In much older posts that I researched (from about a year ago) they were highly recommended and seemed to be the strong favorite.

Just wondering. . . .:

clarat

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2004, 05:23 AM

I have a Waterfield that I use with my 12" iBook G4 and its great. There really isn't any extra storage or anything like that, but I just wanted something to protect the notebook from the insides of my backpack.

Like a lot of the other sleeves, its fitted for the iBook.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

Forum Links
Forum Rules