Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > McDonald's CEO dies of heart attack

McDonald's CEO dies of heart attack
CaseCom
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 11:07 AM

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2004, 11:12 AM

I was just about to post this.

Gee, do you think it was because of the FOOD?

He was 60. Damn, that's young.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by starman:
No, it was all the passive smoking he did.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2004, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by starman:
I was just about to post this.

He was 60. Damn, that's young.
I'm voting that it wasn't because of the food. I very much doubt he ever ate anything from McDonald's except for press releases, and the occasional burger every few months isn't going to have any effects on your health.

I mean, come on; the guy was the CEO of an international megacorp. Would you eat McDonald's stuff on any sort of regular basis, if you were in his shows?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2004, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I'm voting that it wasn't because of the food. I very much doubt he ever ate anything from McDonald's except for press releases, and the occasional burger every few months isn't going to have any effects on your health.

I mean, come on; the guy was the CEO of an international megacorp. Would you eat McDonald's stuff on any sort of regular basis, if you were in his shows?
He would probably pound a burger and fries every press opportunity...

and then puke it up in his gold toilet...

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 11:58 AM

My prayers go out to the family and friends of Jim Cantalupo. May he rest in peace.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
He would probably pound a burger and fries every press opportunity...

and then puke it up in his gold toilet...
I would. I gave up fast food a long time ago.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 12:13 PM

i could live on McDonald's food and get even more fit than i am now.

it's all about making educated choices from the menu. they make other things besides Big Macs.
snappy

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2004, 12:27 PM

I feel bad, but the first thing I did when I saw the thread title was laugh out loud. I thought it was a joke. Shame, of course. Good luck to him in the afterlife, and may his empire crumble.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 12:30 PM

Donold, Hamburgler, Grimace, and Birdy.. please accept my sympathies ect.. and do me a favor and eat a Big mac for me for the big guy in the sky!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2004, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:

it's all about making educated choices from the menu. they make other things besides Big Macs.
I just refuse to eat hormone doctored, genetically tampered food, and it's more prolific in the fast food markets. Sure, some of it is unavoidable no matter where you eat, but I'll bypass as much of it as I can.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:

Yes, between the orange drink, pickles, mustard, ketchup, (not to forget the soggy lettuce on the bigmac!) it is possible to get a full day's worth of veggies.

memento
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I just refuse to eat hormone doctored, genetically tampered food, and it's more prolific in the fast food markets. Sure, some of it is unavoidable no matter where you eat, but I'll bypass as much of it as I can.
right beside you, MacNStein
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 12:53 PM

this movie is going to be rather timely.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521/

supposed to come out may 21st.

its a shockumentary type movie about a guy who only eats mcdonalds for 30 days, 3 meals a day. the only other rule about his diet is if the cashier person asks him if he wants to super size it, he HAS to accept. he put on some 30 something pounds and delivered an ass whoopin to his liver.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
this movie is going to be rather timely.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521/

supposed to come out may 21st.

its a shockumentary type movie about a guy who only eats mcdonalds for 30 days, 3 meals a day. the only other rule about his diet is if the cashier person asks him if he wants to super size it, he HAS to accept. he put on some 30 something pounds and delivered an ass whoopin to his liver.

I especially like the part where it says:

Recommendations

If you like this title, we also recommend...

Italian Job, The (2003)
I, ASIMO.

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Nicko:
Yes, between the orange drink, pickles, mustard, ketchup, (not to forget the soggy lettuce on the bigmac!) it is possible to get a full day's worth of veggies.
now you're spreading FUD

why not a juice, tea and a plain bagel or muffin for breakfast?

why can't you order a plain salad or a yogurt parfat for lunch?

a mcgrilled chicken sandwich with no sauce and a plain salad for dinner and you'd be fine for a day

if you're protesting hormones and animal cruelty �_that's another issue altogether.

Look in the mirror as why you are so fat, don't blame Mickey D's.
snappy

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 01:42 PM

I doubt that he died from eating the guff he sold, if he did, he'd have died years ago.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 03:03 PM

That's sad.. I love McDonald's.

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 03:22 PM

Big Mac: The Natural Laxative�

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 03:26 PM

It would be ironic if he did die from overconsumption of the product... but I doubt that it is the case here...

RIP.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 03:39 PM

I think his family should SUE McDonalds.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 19, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I just refuse to eat hormone doctored, genetically tampered food, and it's more prolific in the fast food markets
Well, McD's dropped genetically modified potatoes (which I would argue are vastly healthier to the eater than the heavily pesticide-laden ones they use; I am not referring to environmental impact) after consumer outcry. AFAIK, when McD's dropped them, the manufacturer of those potatoes took them off the market, knowing that if McD's won't take them, nobody will. The biggest human food crop I know of that's genetically altered is soy; there's not too much of that in fast food.

As for beef... ALL the non-organic beef in this country is laden with hormones. It makes no difference whether you're eating at McDonald's or Ruth's Chris.

What IS true is that McD's has been instrumental in lowering the quality of many raw food materials due to extreme price pressure, and this has also lowered the standard of living for the people who produce those products.

McD's also puts preservatives in everything, and artificial colors and flavors in many others. It's up to you to decide whether you wish to consume those additives.

It's the hormones, reduced quality, additives, and the social issues that make me not want to eat at McD's -- I avoid it whenever possible. I also recognize that there are few alternatives that are any better. Pretty much every restaurant large or small, simple or fancy, gets its staples delivered from Sysco or US Foodservice, both of which are big enough to put similar price pressures on producers.

tooki

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 03:53 PM

That's the one thing I notice when I visit the US, the sheer low quality of meats in most places. I get ill after I eat, it's the antibiotics, amongst other stuff, that they inject into animals. I never get this in anyother country.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

bstone
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 03:45 AM

McDonalds' milkshake is one chemical away from styrephome.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 20, 2004, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
As for beef... ALL the non-organic beef in this country is laden with hormones. It makes no difference whether you're eating at McDonald's or Ruth's Chris.

What IS true is that McD's has been instrumental in lowering the quality of many raw food materials due to extreme price pressure, and this has also lowered the standard of living for the people who produce those products.

McD's also puts preservatives in everything, and artificial colors and flavors in many others. It's up to you to decide whether you wish to consume those additives.
Hmm... now I see why McDonald's is so much more expensive in Scandinavia than it seems to be in the US... They actually use close-to-proper raw food materials there... the result is, of course $5+ for a Big Mac... (don't know how much it is in the US, but it always seems cheaper)

Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Apr 20, 2004, 04:50 AM

All this talking about McDonalds is making me hungry... hmm yes i am going to walk to maccas.

-zoom zoom

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 20, 2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
Hmm... now I see why McDonald's is so much more expensive in Scandinavia than it seems to be in the US... They actually use close-to-proper raw food materials there... the result is, of course $5+ for a Big Mac... (don't know how much it is in the US, but it always seems cheaper)
The Economist magazine has a market index called the Big Mac Index, which is exactly what it sounds like: it measures the price of a Big Mac in many different countries. It's curious how big the disparity is between the actual cost of the Big Mac and what it should cost based on the U.S. price (they're $3 here, if I recall correctly... I haven't bought one in years so I may be wrong!).

tooki

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2004, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by bstone:
McDonalds' milkshake is one chemical away from styrephome.
oxygen is one molecule away from ozone, and ozone is lethal to humans. your point?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
oxygen is one molecule away from ozone, and ozone is lethal to humans. your point?
You mean one atom, and you mean 'elemental oxygen,' not just 'oxygen.'

Either way, Jack in the Box has a much better milkshake
( Last edited by itai195; Apr 20, 2004 at 03:15 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules