Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > jpeg file creation question

jpeg file creation question
dav
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 08:54 AM

i use a mac in a windows environment and create jpegs of illustrations which are used in documents.
when saving as a jpeg, an additional file is created visible only to the windows machines on the network. for example i'll save a file as "test.jpg" in a folder on the network. "test.jpg" will be the only file visible to me on my mac, however the windows pcs will see a grayed out file "._test.jpg" as well as the "test.jpg" file. i believe this is created by the mac os, as different applications produce the same result (._xxx.jpg). has anyone else seen these types of file, and have an understanding of why they're there/how to remove them?

thanks.

mac is running os x 10.3.5
pc's are running windows xp

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 12:59 AM

what are you making the jpgs with?

yfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2004, 03:56 AM

The reason its creating these files is because the HFS information for the file is being generated by the Mac OS but since it is not supported by Windows, it will create that hidden file to include that information. Its not a big deal but it just stores things like resource fork, type & creator codes, etc.

They are safe to delete and you don't really need them on a PC. If you don't want to see them just go to folder options and choose to hide hidden files.
G5 1.8 DP Rev. A
2.5gb MIXED ram(Crucial/Elixir/Kingston)
2x74 gb WD
5200 FX

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 09:21 PM

You often will see these files if you bring a mac floppy to a pc. I work at an office that does this on a daily basis... so dinosaurish..!

Forum Links
Forum Rules