Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > add songs to loaded ipod outside of itunes?

add songs to loaded ipod outside of itunes?
dav
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 09:10 AM

i have an ipod with songs loaded using itunes from my home mac.

is there any way to add songs to the ipod from a windows machine at work, and have them playable on the ipod without losing the existing songs (and their playability)? and if this is possible, what would happen to those added songs once i sync again with the home mac?

thanks in advance for any advice.
one post closer to five stars

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2006, 10:20 AM

In a nutshell, not to the best of my knowlege. Sorry Dav. Each iPod synchs with one PC/Mac only.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 11:23 AM

Well, you could treat 'em like data: drag the song files onto the iPod in Windows Explorer, then when you get home, drag 'em from the iPod in the Finder into iTunes. Then delete from the iPod (in the Finder again) and sync.

They wouldn't be playable on the iPod until after you do your thing on the Mac, but it'd still work in the long run.

Of course, there are several Mac apps for moving stuff back and forth between your iPod and any ol' iTunes library (iPodRip, senuti, more whose names escape me). Somebody's probably figured it out on Windows as well..

Forum Links
Forum Rules