Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > XP in "classic" mode on macintels?

XP in "classic" mode on macintels?
Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 03:47 AM

I just had a weird idea. I think that someone around here is knowledgeable enough to answer it, as well. Okay, do you all think that it would be possible, on a macintel (mactel, whatever you want to call it), to run windows programs in a "classic" sort of arrangement? Would you use it? I sure as heck would. It would great to use programs for either platform inside of OSX.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2006, 04:12 AM

You might be interested in Darwine.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 20, 2006, 08:07 AM

Classic is more of a vmware or virtualPC in a sense- it loads the whole environment, boots a whole OS, and then hides the gui of that OS unless a particular app is in use (menu bar with colored apple, anyone?)

Darwine is similar, but has the advantage of not loading a whole installation of Windows to run one application.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2006, 10:21 AM

I might give Darwine a go myself. I had only heard of it recently, so thought it was only for Intel Macs, but now I have had a look at that site, it looks like its an OS X thing rather than an Intel Mac thing.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice
I might give Darwine a go myself. I had only heard of it recently, so thought it was only for Intel Macs, but now I have had a look at that site, it looks like its an OS X thing rather than an Intel Mac thing.
Right now it's only useful on Intel Macs. The guy who's working on the emulation part claims that he is going to resume work on it in June so that it will be useful on PPC also.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Right now it's only useful on Intel Macs. The guy who's working on the emulation part claims that he is going to resume work on it in June so that it will be useful on PPC also.
I'm wondering why they would bother on a PPC version considering the hardware is "dead"

I'm not saying my PPC computer is worthless, but in 2-3 years, a majority of the movers and shakers will be on Intel Macs... I just find it interesting...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2006, 02:39 PM

Well, it was originally intended as a PPC project, and the hardware won't actually be dead for another several years.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2006, 02:47 PM

Since I have an iMac G5, you won't hear me complaining about it should they finish the PPC support.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I'm wondering why they would bother on a PPC version considering the hardware is "dead"

I'm not saying my PPC computer is worthless, but in 2-3 years, a majority of the movers and shakers will be on Intel Macs... I just find it interesting...

Open Sourcers love to run stuff on older hardware. Look at Linux, it will run on damn near everything!

Forum Links
Forum Rules