Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Melting Magsafe?

Melting Magsafe?
Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 01:57 PM

MagSafe no more?

No, it's not the return of the "Flaming PowerBook 5300," but Rogier Mulder -- an early MacBook Pro adopter -- recently returned home to find that the MagSafe power connector on his new MacBook Pro had apparently caught ablaze and melted.

"When I came home today, I found that the magsafe connector was melted," Mulder wrote, also posting photos of the damage on his Flickr account. "Thank god the cats disconnected the Macbook pro during the day (they were probably chasing each other and tripped over the wire)."

Apple was reportedly quick to replace Mulder's MacBook Pro, but in doing so also asked him to remove the photos of the damaged MacBook Pro and MagSafe connector he had published online.

"I am sorry if you do not see the image(s) you might have expected to see," Mulder later wrote on his Flickr account. "The reason for this is that Apple, after dealing with this issue, kindly requested me to remove the pictures at least until their engineers had a change to investigate this issue. Since Apple support has been very helpful and already is getting me a new Macbook asap, I'm happy to answer their request."

For those interest in viewing the damage, Wired's Leander Kahney has reposted the images.

I got that from appleinsider.com

http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofm...try_id=1437672

Right there is the link to the reposted pics. Has this happened to anyone here?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 02:05 PM

There's already a few threads about this already - just do a search on magsafe.

One incident doesn't make for a design issue and so far as I can tell all of these threads are reporting the same incident. It is disconcerting nonetheless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules