Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Billy Lane of Biker build off fame, charged with DUI manslaughter

Billy Lane of Biker build off fame, charged with DUI manslaughter (Page 2)
climber
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by zro
It's more difficult to discern anything after 8 drinks. Everyone knows that alcohol impairs judgement. In fact, that's one of the first things it does.

I doubt your claims. If this Lane guy had merely fallen asleep there wouldn't be one of you hoping for him to burn in hell (nice christian sentiment, btw) or calling him an asshole.

Why not save that stuff for the people who do intend to harm others, instead? There's more of them than you think. Wasting such hate on an accident is fruitless.
Well you forget one important fact his drivers license was suspended. He should not have even been behind the wheel regardless of the drinking. He is just a stupid a**hole that thinks he can do whatever he damn well feels like. He apparently was not going to let the first judge cramp his style. Hopefully the next judge will make the point a little stronger.

climber
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 02:56 AM

I suppose it really could be an accident. The alcohol accidently fell down his throat. He accidently fell into a truck. The keys accidently fell into the ignition and turned on, and then he accidently started to drive like a lunatic.

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 03:02 AM

So how are things in Bliss?

climber
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by zro
So how are things in Bliss?
You know, for the life of me I can not understand why anyone would characterize drinking and driving head on into another motorist as just another "accident"...that is unless of course they are really justifying their own behavior.

Feeling a bit guilty for something?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by zro
I doubt your claims. If this Lane guy had merely fallen asleep there wouldn't be one of you hoping for him to burn in hell (nice christian sentiment, btw) or calling him an asshole.

Why not save that stuff for the people who do intend to harm others, instead? There's more of them than you think. Wasting such hate on an accident is fruitless.
I'm not sure if your post if directed towards me or another poster but I'll jump in. I don't want him to burn in hell, I have not called him any profanity and I think having him pay for his acts is not unchristian. I don't hate him and I don't wish him any ill will. what I do HATE is the fact that people decide to get behind the will after drinking too much because they think they can handle their booze and in the end hurt someone else. If they hurth themselves that's poetic justice but the is infrequent. drunk drivers typically ruin someone else's family.
Michael

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by climber
You know, for the life of me I can not understand why anyone would characterize drinking and driving head on into another motorist as just another "accident"...that is unless of course they are really justifying their own behavior.

Feeling a bit guilty for something?
Not at all. I'm just not one prone to feeling superior. I realize that accidents (here, control click this- accident -and choose "Look up in Dictionary" from the contextual menu) can happen to and be caused by anybody, whatever the root cause. Choose unwisely (ie., make a mistake) and yours or someone else's world will be upside down or gone. We're all capable of making choices that can cause this. So don't act so superior.

As far as him (Lane) paying for what he's done, absolutely. Not once have I said anything to indicate I don't believe that or that he's an idiot more concerned with convenience than behaving himself. I'm just not down for witch hunts.

Someone has to think different, don't they?

climber
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by zro
Not at all. I'm just not one prone to feeling superior. I realize that accidents (here, control click this- accident -and choose "Look up in Dictionary" from the contextual menu) can happen to and be caused by anybody, whatever the root cause. Choose unwisely (ie., make a mistake) and yours or someone else's world will be upside down or gone. We're all capable of making choices that can cause this. So don't act so superior.

As far as him (Lane) paying for what he's done, absolutely. Not once have I said anything to indicate I don't believe that or that he's an idiot more concerned with convenience than behaving himself. I'm just not down for witch hunts.

Perhaps you should take your own advice ( I looked it up). Accident denotes "unexpectedly and unintentionally. How did this idiot unexpectedly or unintentionally get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle he had no legal right to operate regardless of the fact he was drunk.

It is simple, they don't put people in jail or prison for an accident. They reserve that for negligent homicide, which is apparently what he did. Having his truck kill another person because he was drunk is certainly foreseeable, and thus preventable, and thus not an accident. If you don't get that, you are truly clueless.

It is not about acting superior, it is about taking responsibility for you own actions. I guess you have a problem with that.

Also in case you did not know there is a trend in the industry (Police and Trauma Centers) to call them Motor Vehicle Collisions (MVC's) and not Motor Vehicle Accidents (MVA's). This is in part because wise guy attorneys were able to use the old term to get their scum-bag clients out of jail. "Well the police said it was an accident, see right here on his report". So for that reason the correct use of language is important.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by zro

Of course we are all capable of unwise choices that can have a tragic effect on other people's lives or our own. In the most technical sense this was indeed an accident, since I doubt he left the house intending to kill someone.

However, we have to be judgemental of actions like this because they are so irresponsible and dangerous. By taking the attitude that we shouldn't be too angry or judgemental about him trivializes what he was responsible for doing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules