Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WMP 11, if ya can't beat'em then copy'em

WMP 11, if ya can't beat'em then copy'em
Gator Lager
Senior User
Oct 31, 2006, 09:40 AM

wow the original thinking at microsoft sometimes scares me.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/re...rss.technology

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 09:45 AM

Microsoft even includes a feature that lets you scroll through your music files by album cover -- exactly like iTunes 7.
Uh, since Apple bought a company to do that feature (if its like coverflow) I hope they sue.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 10:37 AM

Just because Apple bought the company that made the software does not mean that company or Apple has a patent for it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 10:40 AM

Mmm... I think my logic here is why would Apple buy it if they couldn't just steal it (a lå Konfabulator)?

zerroeffect
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2006, 11:16 AM

Did MS actually put coverflow into Media Player, or is it just similar enough for comparison?

I'm not sure I see the problem if they aren't directly copying the technology. There are all kinds of crappy knock-offs of every product on the market as it is.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar� View Post
Mmm... I think my logic here is why would Apple buy it if they couldn't just steal it (a lå Konfabulator)?
Maybe to avoid the bad publicity that this always generates.

Maybe the decision to put this feature into iTunes was made very late and having the code speed it up considerably.

And according to the article the new WMP features the same album view as iTunes, but not the cover flow view.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Maybe the decision to put this feature into iTunes was made very late and having the code speed it up considerably.
Seems equally plausible.

zerroeffect
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2006, 11:36 AM

Oh, I see. Album view as in the one that looks like flipping through a jukebox. That's different.

Well, this is my last post on the boards, not that anyone cares. I've reached 100 (my goal). Thanks for the memories. I'm off to the real world and (hopefully) higher productivity.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:41 AM

Odd goal, but good luck.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar� View Post
“A lå”? Any self-respecting Jut knows that it’s “Æ lå”

(I just realised that both æ, ø, and å are easily available on the standard American keyboard layout!)

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:48 AM

I meant to do á, but for some reason I did å instead. Text on my screen is so small I can barely see the difference.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2006, 12:07 PM

Can anyone say we weren't expecting Windows Media Player to copy iTunes? I mean really how surprising is this. I bet Apple expected it, and I doubt they'll sue MS. Can we say threat to pull out office?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Can anyone say we weren't expecting Windows Media Player to copy iTunes? I mean really how surprising is this. I bet Apple expected it, and I doubt they'll sue MS. Can we say threat to pull out office?
They went 5 years seemingly avoiding it. Why the change of heart?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
I meant to do á, but for some reason I did å instead. Text on my screen is so small I can barely see the difference.
I take you mean that you meant to do “à la”

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 12:28 PM

Yes. I can take the ribbing since its fancy-ass french I'm forgetting here.

Rumor
Oct 31, 2006, 12:31 PM

Text on my screen is so small I can barely see the difference.
Have you tried opening your eyes?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 12:33 PM

Oh please. The symbol might be a half a millimeter wide on my screen at best.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2006, 01:49 PM

Actually Apple stole the album view from Media Player 11. The Media Player 11 public betas had it long before iTunes 7 was released.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 03:43 PM

I was about to say the same thing as kmkkid.

I haven't seen anything in Windows Media Player that resembles coverflow, but it has had the 2nd iTunes view (album covers on the left, songs on the right) since I first used the beta.

When I saw iTunes 7 for the first time I thought to myself that Apple copied the view from Microsoft.
Honestly, I hate that view though. I don't like it in iTunes and I don't like it in WMP.

hey!_Zeus
Banned
Oct 31, 2006, 03:57 PM

I like the look of the application better than iTunes metal. Mmmmm black and more dimensional.

But info inside sucks. No separation of information for the eyes to not go cockeyed with.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 03:59 PM

Well I think my question was answered. Thanks, guys.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2006, 10:42 PM

http://winsupersite.com/reviews/wmp11.asp

Paul's review of it is actually a good read. He is quite honest, stating that many people will use it, but it's very much a lame duck release following in the iTunes 7 release shadow, as well as not quite getting it. I find it really odd for example the Zune won't even sync using WMP11.

It's a nice improvement over its predecessors, albeit with one that continues to ignore Apple's market realities.
<This space under renovation>

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 12:26 AM

What I don't get was all the MS-fanboy comments on that site. It was just disproportionate to how many MS-fanboys I actually imagine exists. Or Computer Stockholm Syndrome Cases as I've taken to call them.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Drakino View Post
http://winsupersite.com/reviews/wmp11.asp

Paul's review of it is actually a good read. He is quite honest, stating that many people will use it, but it's very much a lame duck release following in the iTunes 7 release shadow, as well as not quite getting it. I find it really odd for example the Zune won't even sync using WMP11.
I generally like Paul. He doesn't back off of his criticism, and he's usually pretty fair (IMHO). At times he seems to be only a few steps away from Machood.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 12:50 AM

Paul's conclusions from his WMP 11 Review

While I enjoy the Windows Media Player 11 look and feel, and appreciate the steady evolutionary improvements that Microsoft has made to this product, I feel that the software giant needs to face reality. Windows Media Player 11 lives in a world dominated by Apple's iTunes and iPod, and this product does nothing to embrace either of those de facto standards or offer customers compelling reasons why they should switch. Sure, WMP 11 is better than its predecessor. But its missing numerous necessary features, such as integrated support for podcasts and a decent tag editor. I won't be switching to WMP 11, and recommend that most users simply use iTunes, whether they have an iPod or not. On the other hand, WMP 11, like Internet Explorer (IE) 7 (see my review), is a solid offering and will likely be quite satisfactory for many, many people. If you're currently using an earlier WMP version, or a Windows Media-based portable player, you should upgrade to WMP 11 immediately. It's a nice improvement over its predecessors, albeit with one that continues to ignore Apple's market realities.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 05:34 AM

In this case, whatever MS does is irrelevant. They might just as well release a bit for bit copy of iTunes and it would help their marketshare as much as it would help Apple to change OS X to a carbon copy of Windows.

iTunes isn't even that amazingly good. It is good, but it is still very limitied in many ways and its video integration is crap.

The iPod syncing and iTS aside.. there have been only cosmetic or minor upgrades to iTunes - some of those minor upgrades, were very important, like gapless playback - took Apple many years to implement.

Point being, iTunes isn't that great and MS is yet again failing to understand its success. Making WiMP look more like iTunes is nice and al,l but it is not going to help WiMP gain any marketshare, which is the only thing MS is concerned about.

I think a name change would be more important. WiMP?

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2006, 07:50 AM

i am amazed, but not surprised. it seems all ms does is copy, burn, and flood the market with cheap imitations of all the good stuff.

after all, look what they did for hotmail. it was good before they took over, and now it is crap.

hayesk
Nov 3, 2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
Actually Apple stole the album view from Media Player 11. The Media Player 11 public betas had it long before iTunes 7 was released.
Uhm.. no. Apple's album view is Coverflow, which was available as a separate Mac product long before WMP 11 public betas were available. Apple just bought it and integrated it into iTunes.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Uhm.. no. Apple's album view is Coverflow, which was available as a separate Mac product long before WMP 11 public betas were available. Apple just bought it and integrated it into iTunes.
Apple's album view is album view. Coverflow became the coverflow view.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2006, 12:54 AM

I give Konfabulator props for making the idea popular again (and cool looking), but Dashboard is a feature brought over from NeXT.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2006, 12:56 AM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

hayesk
Nov 4, 2006, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Apple's album view is album view. Coverflow became the coverflow view.
Oops, you're right. Apple's Album view reminds me of their RSS feed for iTunes new releases.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
If you read the thread you'd see that the view in question is not coverflow, but just plain album view.

Again Apple copied MS this time, even if it was the next obvious evolutionary step in music software.

Forum Links
Forum Rules