Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Where can I find Mac OS 9.0.4 Boot ROM or otherwise get Sheepshaver running?

Where can I find Mac OS 9.0.4 Boot ROM or otherwise get Sheepshaver running?
Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2010, 07:19 PM

I work at a university, and another coworker and I are trying to get Hypercard running on an Intel Mac (don't ask).

We've got Sheepshaver. We've got some old Macs running Mac OS 9.2.2. We've got a disk image of 9.0.4 that won't work in our old Strawberry red iMac G3, as we can't get it to burn in a way that it will boot to or even recognize in Jaguar or 9.2.2. Sheepshaver requires a Boot ROM in order to function with Mac OS 9. All of the ones I can find are either too new, or otherwise don't work. Pulling it off of the image of 9.0.4 that I have doesn't work. Tomeviewer doesn't work for us. It just won't expand. Can someone point me in the direction of one I can use, or an alternative method of getting Hypercard running on a modern Mac?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2010, 07:43 PM

Welcome back! Long time no see.

Does Sheepshaver support 9.2.2? I have a 9.x for a G4 Quicksilver somewhere... I'll see if I can find it.
Are you trying to use the right version of Stuffit for Tome Viewer?

Edit: It's a 9.2 disc.
ROM info: 8.3.1, Mac OS CPU Software Z-4.0
( Last edited by seanc; Jun 10, 2010 at 07:55 PM. )

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2010, 07:50 PM

Indeed. I pop in when I'm in deep you-know-what and I'm at the end of my rope.

I did not realize that Stuffit was required. It must have been whatever odd version happened to be installed.

Sheepshaver does not support 9.2.2. Does that mean I can't scavenge a Boot ROM from such a machine? I believe it only supports up to 9.0.4, but that's good enough for Hypercard.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2010, 07:53 PM

The Unarchiver should work for you actually, it did for me. Bit of a leaner solution than Stuffit.

See above for ROM info, won't Hypercard run on 7.5.3? You might have luck with Basilisk (if it runs on Intel Macs).

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2010, 07:54 PM

I have almost no experience with MAc OS 9 to begin with. I work on Mac OS X for a living, but 9 is just nuts to me.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2010, 07:55 PM

What version is on the 9.0.4 CD? Get info in Finder...

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2010, 08:19 PM

It won't recognize the disk. I burn the ISO, and it won't recognize it. I tried half a dozen discs and it keeps calling them DOS formatted when it is CDFS.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2010, 08:24 PM

Double click the ISO and it will mount in the Finder. If it doesn't, your ISO is corrupt.

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2010, 08:26 PM

It mounts up in 10.6 just fine and the burned disc works, but if I burn it and try to boot the little iMac, it doesn't recognize it at all.
( Last edited by Tuoder; Jun 10, 2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: m)

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2010, 08:59 PM

You don't need to boot the iMac from the disc. With the Classic Mac OS, you can install a new OS while booted on the target drive. Just put the disc in while it's already booted and see if you can run the installer.
Vandelay Industries

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2010, 09:10 PM

I can't boot on a target drive. This is the last iMac that didn't have Firewire.
( Last edited by Tuoder; Jun 10, 2010 at 11:32 PM. )

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2010, 11:35 PM

Let it be known that reader50 is a saint.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2010, 11:50 PM

I'm not talking about Target Disk Mode. I meant when the iMac is booted on from its hard drive, run the installer. You can install a new OS onto the boot volume. That was a cool thing about the Classis Mac OS. You can have multiple OS installs on the same volume.
Vandelay Industries

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2010, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
I'm not talking about Target Disk Mode. I meant when the iMac is booted on from its hard drive, run the installer. You can install a new OS onto the boot volume. That was a cool thing about the Classis Mac OS. You can have multiple OS installs on the same volume.
The old iMac G3 doesn't recognize the disk at all.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2010, 12:04 AM

Ah. Another thing you could have tried is just copied the contents of the disc image onto a USB drive and connected that to the iMac. Then run the installer from the USB drive.
Vandelay Industries

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2010, 10:43 AM

Ah. Another thing you could have tried is just copied the contents of the disc image onto a USB drive and connected that to the iMac. Then run the installer from the USB drive.
I had not thought of that. It's quite odd that Apple had a feature to install their OS from inside an instance of their OS onto another partition. I wonder why it isn't present in Mac OS X. I'm aware of a way to do it, though I've not tried it. Perhaps it is for the sake of simplicity, or they saw no need to develop a feature that would be rarely used.

Anyhow, seanc also appears to be a saint. I'll be submitting you both the the iPope as suggestions for canonization.

I've managed to get it running with most of the actual work done for me already by either seanc or whomever he got it from. reader50 was helpful as well.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2010, 12:40 PM

It doesn't have to be on another partition. You can have multiple installs of the Classic OS on the same partition. The Classic OS was entirely contained in a single folder that could be named anything. OS X is spread across multiple folders on the root of the hard drive with fixed names. They probably figured it wasn't worth trying to maintain that feature on OS X.
Vandelay Industries

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2010, 05:33 PM

It doesn't have to be on another partition. You can have multiple installs of the Classic OS on the same partition. The Classic OS was entirely contained in a single folder that could be named anything. OS X is spread across multiple folders on the root of the hard drive with fixed names. They probably figured it wasn't worth trying to maintain that feature on OS X.
If I had to guess, I'd say it was part of some BSD or *nix spec somewhere. Thanks for your help.

Thanks to everyone, I've now got Hypercard running on Sheepshaver in 10.6.3.

Forum Links
Forum Rules