Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > partitioning 100GB?

partitioning 100GB?
dav
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2001, 09:29 AM

would like a little help/advice on partitioning my new 100GB drive - here are the details...

450Mhz G4 Cube
576MB RAM
100GB HD
20GB HD (original) to be used as external firewire drive (recommend a good quiet external firewire case/kit?)

i would like to go full blown OS X, though there still may be occasions i need to boot into OS 9 - but i think i could install OS 9 on the external for those times, and not use a partition(advantages/disadvantages?). i'll probably store quite a bit of music (aiff & mp3), and would like to do some video capture/editing (iMovie). to round it out, i do some freelance graphic design work at home (photoshop/illustrator/coreldraw/quark/indesign/etc.), and have a fair amount of files, and clipart (the clipart might fill the 20GB)

enough info? can you help?
thanks.
one post closer to five stars

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2001, 09:46 AM

Do backup of your home folder on your firewire disk it's better

one partition for OSX and apps and personal files (85GB)
one for os9 (faster than your firewire disk) (5GB)
one for mp3 (10GB)

make them in that order (OSX, OS9, MP3)

I'd do it that way

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2001, 03:44 PM

I just did the same thing last month - 100gig HD in my Cube. I went for a 50/50 split for the time being. At least until ATi updates their XclaimTV software to OSX. Afterwards, I'd probably go for a 80/20 split (80gig to OSX). In both cases I'd put OSX on the 1st partition.

However, it is possible to install OS9 and OSX on the same drive without parititioning. That's what I did with my iMac 40gig HD. You can still boot into OS9 for full compatibility - not just running OS9 at the same time as X..........joe

dav  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2001, 03:54 PM

is there an advantage to having a partition for music, as opposed to just a folder. i.e., if i go over my partition for audio, i would then be storing audio files in two partitions. my audio capacity could vary, it's hard to pre-judge the space.
one post closer to five stars

Leonis
Senior User
Dec 26, 2001, 04:19 PM

Off topic

How much did you guys pay for the 100GB hard drive? I am thinking about getting one.
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

malson
Senior User
Dec 26, 2001, 04:27 PM

I paid $119 for mine. I got it at Sam's Club for $219 when they had a $100 rebate offer. It's a Western Digital 7200 RPM drive. Not too shabby...
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2001, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by dav:
<STRONG>is there an advantage to having a partition for music, as opposed to just a folder. i.e., if i go over my partition for audio, i would then be storing audio files in two partitions. my audio capacity could vary, it's hard to pre-judge the space.</STRONG>
The good thing about that is that you can erase the OSX partition without touching the music part, saving time wasting backups!

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2001, 08:02 PM

I use a 10 G partition as a scratch drive. This can be defragmented quickly before starting a project thereby vastly increase disc access. This is good for programs as Photoshop and others.

ali
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2001, 08:14 PM

I've got a Cube also, and was thinking about upgrading to a 100GB HD (7200) also.

My main concern is noise and heat...
Any problems with excessive noise or heat with a 7200 rpm HD? (Especially since noise is one of the big benefits of a Cube)
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Cipher13
Dec 26, 2001, 08:33 PM

Concerned with noise? Get a Seagate Barracuda IV. Quietest drives I ever heard (or, didn't hear...).

Nice and cool too.

There won't be a heat problem.

I'm a big partition fan (I don't have any partitions right now, but that's cause I have 4 HD's instead).

I'd say have a docs partition, OSX and apps partition, OS9 partition and a scratch partition. That way you have great flexibility with formatting and backing up.

Also put a copy of OS9.22 on the OSX partition for Classic; 9.1 for the main system; and a backup 9.1 (stripped) on each other partition.

Security measures.

In total I have 7 bootable systems spread over 4 drives...

Forum Links
Forum Rules