Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Normal battery useage?

Normal battery useage?
Thorzdad
Jun 28, 2020, 10:59 AM

Sorry if this reads like a n00b post from the distant past. I guess is kind of is.

After decades of faithful service, I am finally forced to retire my ancient flip-phone and take-up with my wife's old iPhone 6s. I haven't gotten a SIM for it yet, but I spent some time prepping it. I wiped/reset it, installed the latest iOS version available (13.5.1) and one 3rd-party app (WeatherBug), then meticulously went through the settings to make things as battery-efficient as possible.

Having never owned one of these things, and being used to that old flip-phone lasting weeks on a charge, I'm not sure what to expect with this thing. My wife lives her life out of her phone, so her battery usage isn't going to be a good example for me. She has to charge her phone every night, and sometimes has to hook it up during the day, depending on how much text/mail/voice/facetime she has to do with her office.

Anyway, I put a full charge on the thing last night, disconnected it and just let it sit overnight, to see what the drain would be just sitting and doing mostly nothing. It sat untouched roughly 9-10 hours. When I looked at it this morning, it had dropped from 100% battery to 75% battery. Would this be considered a normal drain for a phone of this age?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 28, 2020, 11:10 AM

That’s probably around “normal” for that phone. Keep in mind that the battery in it is not anywhere new, and the OS is trying to use an older processor to do more stuff, so it’s working harder than it might with a newer processor. It also depends on what else is running - email, messages, etc.

Weather Bug is a good app, but it needs to be either using background refresh or make you wait a bit for up to date data. With background refresh, any app uses a little bit more power.

Today I just went for a 5k+ walk, and my iPhone 8 went from 99% when I started to about 70% At the end. That was for a 45 minute workout running Nike+ Run Club and streaming music to my BT headphones (plus the other basic stuff like phone, email, and so on).

With iPhones, I’ve always simply plugged them in overnight. In fact, going back to my Moto Razrs, I did the same thing. And I plug in my iPad, and charge my Apple Watch overnight too. Neither of them have really low battery levels when I hook them up, and I’ve gotten two full days on my watch without a charge (I packed everything except the watch charger for a weekend outing ).

With me it’s more like keeping my car with at least half a tank of gas. I don’t live in a hurricane-prone area anymore, but it’s still more comfortable for me than worrying about whether or not I can fill up if I really need to.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad  (op)
Jun 28, 2020, 11:48 AM

My wife just reminded me that she had the battery in the phone replaced about a year ago when Apple Stores were running a $99 replacement deal, so it's relatively fresh. I have Background Refresh disabled system-wide. I also have Low-Power Mode enabled. I'll just have to get used to paying attention to recharging more than I used to, I guess.

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2020, 12:30 PM

check if you have search for wifi enabled. If you are always at home or where there are known networks you don't need to have that going on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules