Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Iwork questions-thread

Iwork questions-thread
Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2005, 10:08 AM

I hope this thread doesn't get into a debate like we have in the other ones. Just meant it to address questions or difficulties one migth run into.

I'll start off:

- How do you prevent pages to keep an empty line between alinea's?
- Also, how can you make sure that the firstmost alinea doesn't spring in a tab, while the subsequent will?

Right now it looks like this:

Code:
blablablablablablablablablablablabl blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablabl blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablabl blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablabla
while I want it to be like this:

Code:
blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablabl blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablabl blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablabla
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2005, 11:07 AM

use show invisibles to find the extra new lines. Unless I"m missing something I'm not seeing a real problem....
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2005, 11:10 AM

There's no extra line (allready tried that), Pages just automatically inserts a space between alinea's (at least in my case). I haven't found out how to get rid of it yet.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 11:17 AM

it's not an extra line. It's the space after a paragraph, and you can modify the paragraph style so that this is zero.

As for the having the first paragraph not indent but having all subsequent paragraph indent, you have a couple options:

(1) apply two different paragraph styles - one for the first paragraph, and one for all the rest (the first without an indent, the second with one)

OR

(2) apply a style with no indent to all the paragraphs and at a tab to the begining of every paragraph other than the first one...
cpac

Richard Harrison
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2005, 11:49 AM

Hi

Apologies for the repost, but this seems like a better thread for this question, and the oher one seems to have died:

Could someone please test out the subscript and superscript options in Pages, and post a screenshot?

I am interested in seeing if Pages can apply super/subscripts while keeping the line spacing constant. In all other Cocoa apps, the line spacing gets messed up with subscripts. I'm desperately hoping that Apple has fixed this!

Cheers

Rich
What? There's an on switch on the printer?

squilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2005, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Ilja:

- How do you prevent pages to keep an empty line between alinea's?
- Also, how can you make sure that the firstmost alinea doesn't spring in a tab, while the subsequent will?

Right now it looks like this:

Code:
blablablablablablablablablablablabl blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablabl blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablabl blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablabla
while I want it to be like this:

Code:
blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablabl blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablabl blablablablablablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablablablablabla
The basic trick is to modify the style of the paragraph(s) you want to change. To do this, first edit the text to get the appearance you want. Open the Inspector, then pick Text, then the Text tab, then make sure the "before paragraph" and "after paragraph" choices are set to 0.

Also, delete the tabs you don't want.

Then with the cursor in text you've fixed, open the styles drawer (use "Style" icon on tool bar) and control-click the style-name of the selected text (it will be highlighted). This gives you a drop-down menu; pick the option "Redefine style from selection".

That should do it. Creating or re-defining styles this way lets you set things up the way you want. Once you've modified a style, saving the document as a new template (possibly as the default template) is a good idea, so as to make it your default.

Buck_W
Senior User
Jan 25, 2005, 01:07 PM

Does anyone know if Pages enables you to turn the 'white' portion of a graphic object's background transparent so that it (the background of the graphic) blends into the color behind it. For instance, if I was placing a graphic object on to another object with a blue background, is it possible to blend the two so that the white background on the imported graphic becomes transparent, thus allowing the blue to come through?

My apologies if my question is not clear. For those familiar with In InDesign, I would use the "Clipping Path" feature. Does Pages have anything similar to this?

Thanks
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Fritzi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2005, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Richard Harrison:

Could someone please test out the subscript and superscript options in Pages, and post a screenshot?

It works perfectly. No shifting lines etc.

osxisfun
Jan 25, 2005, 02:16 PM

no outline mode?

tell me it ain't so....

zengravy
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2005, 02:32 PM

Anyone know how to set the default zoom to 100% rather than 125%?
--
you cannot enter a place that you never left.

futurehead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Fritzi:
It works perfectly. No shifting lines etc.
Woooohooo!!

Thanks,

Rich

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2005, 04:58 PM

Ok, next question: how to make sure pagenumbering and headers and footers don't appear on the first page?

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 05:57 PM

1. create first page
2. menu insert > section brake
3. new page appears
4. create heading/footer in second "section" and they will not appear in the previous sections (see layout pallet (nr. 2) > tab section for more settings)

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2005, 12:26 PM

Next question:

How to create subheadings with subnumbering, ie:

1. Heading1
1.1 Subheading1
1.2 Subheading2

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Ilja:
Next question:

How to create subheadings with subnumbering, ie:

1. Heading1
1.1 Subheading1
1.2 Subheading2
that is impossible with Pages

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
that is impossible with Pages
It's not impossible, it's just not easy. (you'd have to create unique styles for each sub-group).

If you need to outline, you're better off using an outliner or word.
cpac

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
It's not impossible, it's just not easy. (you'd have to create unique styles for each sub-group).

If you need to outline, you're better off using an outliner or word.
oke you have to tab every heading 2, 3, etc... and than also add all the numbering to the Table of Contents... oke.. not impossible but impossble to do it automated.

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2005, 12:00 AM

Nevermind...

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 04:33 AM

Here's a question for everyone. iWork is my first application where I needed a serial number. My pb is acting up, and I want to do a clean install of everything. Will I encounter any difficulties re-installing it after the clean install of panther?

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 10:49 AM

as long as you've got your serial number you should be fine
cpac

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 12:06 PM

Good, I was just worried once you register it once you can't register it again a la XP

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Jan 27, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by sworthy:
Good, I was just worried once you register it once you can't register it again a la XP
It's not that kind of serial number, thankfully.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

philcozz
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2005, 11:04 PM

Anyone else notice an annoying (at least to me) problem with Pages in that the fonts don't seem to be as strong (font smoothing setting in appearance pane) as other apps.

Click here for a picture of what I mean:

http://snipurl.com/ccrl-YH2ZY

Word is on left, Pages in middle, and Mellel on right.

It's not a HUGE deal, but I much prefer working with darker fonts than what Pages offers.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 11:45 PM

How is a page deleted in Pages?

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 12:31 AM

same way you do it for any other kind of document. Select the text on that page and hit delete. While pages can be added one at a time by the template they are not deleted in any special fashion.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

threestain
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 10:38 AM

Does anyone know how to set the langauge in Pages to British English and to make it stick? It always seems to revert to English (i.e. rubbish American spelling ) I've tried to do it system-wide as well, but no luck so far.

Any help would be cool!

hiddentrack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2005, 03:28 AM

Originally posted by threestain:
Does anyone know how to set the langauge in Pages to British English and to make it stick? It always seems to revert to English (i.e. rubbish American spelling ) I've tried to do it system-wide as well, but no luck so far.

Any help would be cool!
Use the Save as Template function after selecting your language of choice.

~ Hiddentrack

threestain
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 08:46 AM

Cool, thanks. Is there no way to set the language globally in pages? As otherwise I will have to remember to change it every time I use a different template.

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2005, 09:58 AM

It sticks fine for me. Every new document in every Style uses A4 paper & British spelling. Perhaps you should check your installation?

Barney.

threestain
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 09:52 PM

hmmm... will take a look seems to be sticking now, somewhat at least!

also does anyone know how to do the shortcut ^ command +?

its for superscript, and been spending the last ten minutes faffing with it!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2005, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by threestain:
also does anyone know how to do the shortcut ^ command +?
Command-control-plus, it sounds like.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

threestain
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 10:13 PM

excellent! thank you!

manfreds
Feb 3, 2005, 01:27 PM

Can Pages do hyphenation? I heard it can't.
Turn your web browser into a great PDF viewer � with PDF Browser Plugin

osxisfun
Feb 3, 2005, 03:30 PM

does pages use any background cpu when in the background?

(i don't like the fact that word is always using 5%-10% of my cpu even in the background...)

is it a ram hog?

(I am thinking about adding more ram but would rather spend it on booze...)

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 09:46 PM

I just read an explanation for Pages' inability to implement bold and italics with some fonts. I've been wondering about this since I tried Pages out in the store and the B/I menu and keyboard commands failed to work on some documents. Perhaps this explains why Apple didn't provide BIU buttons on the interface?

http://www.macintouch.com/iwork02.html#feb03

realmeatychunks
Feb 5, 2005, 02:54 AM

Hey all,

I was wondering how I can make my equations (which are pdfs) centered in the page while the label i.e. (1) appears aligned with the right margin.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

futurehead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2005, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by realmeatychunks:
Hey all,

I was wondering how I can make my equations (which are pdfs) centered in the page while the label i.e. (1) appears aligned with the right margin.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Using Equation Service templates you can get it to generate a centred equation with the number on the right. Check it out, quite a cool program (requires Tex installation).

On a related note, I have the following problem with Pages:

When inserting an equation "in line", i.e. with the equation sitting in a line of text rather than on its own line, Pages lines up the equation so the bottom of the equation is flush with the bottom of the line. This means that if your equation has a subscript, the rest of the equation is raised above where it should be and looks really ugly.

Any way to solve this?

Rich

p.s. changing the vertical text alignment does not work in this case.

futurehead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2005, 01:44 PM

Using Equation Service templates you can get it to generate a centred equation with the number on the right. Check it out, quite a cool program (requires Tex installation).

Alternatively, you can use tabs. In preferences, set the ruler so that 0 is centred (then you know exactly where to place the centre tab). Click in the ruler to create a tab, then click on the tab a couple of times till it changes to a square. Place your equation on this tab and it will be perfectly centred on the page. Then you can set a right tab to place your number on.

When inserting an equation "in line", i.e. with the equation sitting in a line of text rather than on its own line, Pages lines up the equation so the bottom of the equation is flush with the bottom of the line. This means that if your equation has a subscript, the rest of the equation is raised above where it should be and looks really ugly.

Any way to solve this?

Rich

p.s. changing the vertical text alignment does not work in this case. [/B][/QUOTE]
( Last edited by futurehead; Feb 5, 2005 at 03:30 PM. )

realmeatychunks
Feb 5, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by futurehead:

Any way to solve this?

Rich

p.s. changing the vertical text alignment does not work in this case.
I'll try that out -- I've been using the equation editor but did not know about that feature. Unfortunately, it also means I would have to redo all the formulas if I added one somewhere in the middle (unless I am misunderstanding you).

As for a solution to your problem, you need to adjust the baseline height.

Go to the inspector panel, text, and then more.

You can move the baseline height up and down via 'baseline shift'.

Greg

futurehead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2005, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by realmeatychunks:
I'll try that out -- I've been using the equation editor but did not know about that feature. Unfortunately, it also means I would have to redo all the formulas if I added one somewhere in the middle (unless I am misunderstanding you).

As for a solution to your problem, you need to adjust the baseline height.

Go to the inspector panel, text, and then more.

You can move the baseline height up and down via 'baseline shift'.

Greg
See edited post above for an alternative method.

Thanks for the baseline tip! I had tried this already from the font menu, but it did not work with pdf images. However, using the inspector works as expected. Thanks!

Rich

SynApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2005, 09:33 PM

Wow this thread's really useful... I'll throw in a bunch of questions I have.. hope some of you can help..

1. Is there a way to insert page numbers other than doing so manually for each page?

2. How can I insert a new first page? Every time I add a page it goes after my first one..

3. If I insert a layout break in the middle of a page and than split the top layout in columns, the layout break goes up: the more columns I add, the upper it goes.. Doesn't do that if I create columns in the bottom layout. Is there a workaround to keep the break where it's supposed to be?

I may be dumb..

Mac Mini 1.4GHZ
Apple 20" Cinema Display
iPod 3G - 15GB
iPod Mini - Blue

futurehead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 04:14 AM

Originally posted by SynApple:
Wow this thread's really useful... I'll throw in a bunch of questions I have.. hope some of you can help..

1. Is there a way to insert page numbers other than doing so manually for each page?

There is a menu option to insert a page number. If you add the page number to a header or footer then it will appear on every page automatically.

If you don't want the page number in a header or footer, then you could try making it a master object, so it will appear on every page.

Cheers

Rich

SynApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 07:15 AM

There is a menu option to insert a page number. If you add the page number to a header or footer then it will appear on every page automatically.

If you don't want the page number in a header or footer, then you could try making it a master object, so it will appear on every page.

Cheers

Rich
Awesome... thanks a lot!
Mac Mini 1.4GHZ
Apple 20" Cinema Display
iPod 3G - 15GB
iPod Mini - Blue

realmeatychunks
Feb 6, 2005, 07:04 PM

See edited post above for an alternative method.

Thanks for the baseline tip! I had tried this already from the font menu, but it did not work with pdf images. However, using the inspector works as expected. Thanks!

Rich
Thanks for the tips, Rich.

Greg

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 08:17 PM

Great thread, but can someone fix the topic? "Iwork"? C'mon.

BKMaggert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2005, 11:56 PM

When I import all my AppleWorks documents, all the linespacing/leading is greater than the original Appleworks doc. This makes the pages all wrap different. One page docs end up with 2-3 lines on a second page. Multipage docs end up MANY pages longer and totally screwed up with AppleWorks' "inserted page breaks" all in the wrong spots.

I can understand some Word doc imports needing some 'fixing', but not every single AppleWorks doc to not look exactly like the original on a default import. How can this be so wrong?

Is there a setting in Pages where I can adjust the linespacing/leading back to match the way it was in AppleWorks?
Barry
www.LP.org

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 09:48 PM

No way to get cell borders in table less than "1"--which I assume is 1 point. That is very thick.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2005, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
does pages use any background cpu when in the background?

(i don't like the fact that word is always using 5%-10% of my cpu even in the background...)

is it a ram hog?

(I am thinking about adding more ram but would rather spend it on booze...)
I'm not sure if you already have an answer, but sitting idle with no document open, Pages is currently using 0.00% of the CPU and 33.16 MB of RAM (I have 1 GB and Panther). With one or two documents open, it will again drop to 0.00% CPU a few seconds after not becoming the frontmost app. Right now I have two dummy pages open using some of the supplied templates, and it is again using 0.00% CPU, 5 threads, and 73 MB of RAM. With two blank, unsaved documents, it's the same except 57 MB of RAM.

Word, on the same system, compares at a constant 8-10% of the CPU even in the background, 4 threads, and 70.83 MB of RAM while two blank, unsaved documents are open.

So based on very quick and dirty, anecdotal evidence, Pages seems to behave a lot better than Word.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2005, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
No way to get cell borders in table less than "1"--which I assume is 1 point. That is very thick.
I can't find any way to do this either. I agree that it is thick. I resorted to making them grey or invisible to lessen the impact.

Hope version 1.1 is on the way with the tons of feedback I have sent. They must be getting sick of my requests.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2005, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Jonesy:
Hope version 1.1 is on the way with the tons of feedback I have sent. They must be getting sick of my requests.
I doubt any company gets sick of well thought out requests, no matter the quantity sent. Keep sending them Jonesy, we all stand to benefit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules