Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do you use your powerbook on the bed or sofa?

Do you use your powerbook on the bed or sofa?
kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2005, 04:22 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you use your powerbook on the bed, or on the sofa. Or do you only use the powerbook on a desk or table. How has your experiences been, any over heating or issues like that?

Has the heat contributed to case warping?

Thanks!

GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 04:47 PM

I almost exclusively use my PB on the couch on in bed. The couch isn't so bad, since it's leather, but I try to keep it on a hard back book when in bed, just to keep the blankets and such from bunching up around the air intakes and exhaust.

Heat isn't too much of a problem, no warping issues.

ImpulseResponse

solero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 04:53 PM

Everywhere... except the most obvious places

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 17, 2005, 05:34 PM

which would be ? i use my powerbook any where i can when i need to use it.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

trip
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 05:36 PM

I read somewhere that male laptop users working off the couch and the bed damage their ability to produce sperm due to the increased temperature and pinching legs together in order to position the laptop.

just a word of warning....
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

solero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 06:51 PM

hmmm that's how i'm sitting right now...

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2005, 06:59 PM

iLap by RainDesign is where its at
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by trip
I read somewhere that male laptop users working off the couch and the bed damage their ability to produce sperm due to the increased temperature and pinching legs together in order to position the laptop.

I wouldn't worry about it. The chances you could do yourself any permanent damage are minimal, unless you're using the powerbook naked, and for prolonged periods of time. I use mine on the couch pretty regularly, and somehow managed to have two kids without much trouble...
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

jdiddy
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 07:31 PM

Yup both. I'm lying down on my bed as I type this.

brapper
Professional Poster
May 17, 2005, 09:36 PM

Get a PB 17inch, you can sit with your legs spread apart to keep your testicles happy..

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2005, 09:54 PM

Hi,

Are you guys using them on your knees on the couch? Or are you guys using them on the fabric of the bed/couch? I was wondering about the second, as in lying on your bed on your stomach and having the laptop lay on the fabric in front of you.

Any of you have problems with that?

vinster
Senior User
May 17, 2005, 10:06 PM

I made a tray for my powerbook from cardboard, old CDs a thick plastic bag and tape. It allows me to use the computer on soft surfaces such as a mattress or carpet without covering the vents. The tray also takes all of the stress away from the little rubber feet so I don't have to worry about them coming off.

sgi02
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by trip

Great , I can save some $$$ on condoms the next time im out

Cheetah223
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by vinster
I made a tray for my powerbook from cardboard, old CDs a thick plastic bag and tape. It allows me to use the computer on soft surfaces such as a mattress or carpet without covering the vents. The tray also takes all of the stress away from the little rubber feet so I don't have to worry about them coming off.
I like that idea..Something that's not huge and obnoxious like the iLap, but it does the job just the same. Heck..A sheet of plexiglass with some rubber molding around the edges would be nice.
Have:
30GB 5G iPod
Want:
15" 2.16GHz MBP - 20" Cinema Display

vinster
Senior User
May 17, 2005, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cheetah223
I like that idea..Something that's not huge and obnoxious like the iLap, but it does the job just the same. Heck..A sheet of plexiglass with some rubber molding around the edges would be nice.
I'm very happy with my homemade tray. The cardboard and CDs give it the right amount of stiffness and wrapping everything in plastic and tape ensures there are no sharp edges. The key is covering the outside surface with lots of clear wrapping tape. The tape gives it enough grip on surfaces and also keeps the tray from absorbing too much heat.

romeosc
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 10:41 PM

I have a computer table that swings out over the recliner so I can use at any angle
(Link to Pic below)

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/show_p...p?picid=288868

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2005, 11:15 PM

I have 12 inches in my lap right now, and it's keeping me warm and happy.

And I hope to God it's killing each and every little swimmer I have. They're nothing but trouble.

.tony. .riot.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 11:36 PM

Since I don't have wireless yet because I just got my PB yesterday, if I need to use the Internet use it on the desk or on the table in front of the computer. If I don't need Internet because I'm working on a design or something, I even take it with me to the bathoom.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 02:56 AM

I use my 17 on the couch lots of time (such as right now). I'd suggest getting some kind of temperature sensor (none for Dashboard yet but the Konfabulator widget Temperature Text works well) so you can see how hot things are getting.
If it start to feel warm, just raise it up so air can circulate underneath some, especially if its on fabric. And a 12 will fill warmer than a 15 which feels warmer than a 17 since the larger the PB, the more size it has to give off heat.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 09:03 AM

hi,

after you raise (and for how long?), do you put it back down on the fabric, or do you find a harder surface to put it on?

itguy05
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 09:51 AM

Yes and I never worry about it - from my post in another thread:

I have the 15" 1.67 too and I don't get why everyone harps on the heat thing. Yes, it gets warm. But, the thing is ALUMINUM which has a very high heat transfer rating. They make pots and pans out of it because Al conducts heat so well. Most other laptops are plastic or rubber coated metal so they will appear to be cooler. We notice it with the PB much more because that aluminum is transferring the heat to the outside where the plastic will tend to keep it inside and not transfer as much to us.

I've had my PB since Tiget came out - got it at the launch party with th 10% off scratch off and I regularly use it on my lap wearing shorts and it's fine. After a couple hours it gets warm on the bottom, but not burning or anything like that.

I also wouldn't worry too much about the heat causing component failures - computers today run HOT. It's a fact of life. Components are designed taking this into account (think car computers - a much harsher environment than a laptop) and the heat probably won't affect things much. And even then it is probably something small like: this computer runs so hot you only can get 7 years before the CPU fries and if it were packed in ice you'd get 7.5 years. Who cares as you probably won't keep it 5 years let alone 7.

Enjoy your PB - it is an AWESOME machine!

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2005, 10:49 AM

I have my PB 12" now for 2 years, I ONLY use it in my bed so there is no space for ventilation at all, yeah it gets warm, but you can always touch it and there is no case warping at all

amazing
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 07:45 AM

Take a look at this well-thought-out tray:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...sp?T1=141+0367

wilsonng
Senior User
May 19, 2005, 01:18 PM

When I'm on the bed or on the sofa, I used the iLap. It's also works easily as a desktop stand as well.

http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html
( Last edited by wilsonng; May 19, 2005 at 01:33 PM. )

Link
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 01:30 PM

I'm not much of a 'stand' person, never have been. So far, I usually keep it on my lap when sitting on the sofa or my bed, tend to balance it on one leg when it gets too warm for my liking, when I actually set it down it's either on a table or put to sleep *nod*
Aloha

jabackes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2005, 01:33 PM

mine goes whereever... i'll admit there have been times when i needed to use the loo... i know sounds bad.. but hey, its just my lap anyway, and its my own machine... and i clean it regularly... but thats me... all over the house, floor, desk, table, lap, etc. i used to use my iBook exclusively on my lap/belly when in school...

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 01:35 PM

The 15" is ok on my knees (even now).

I had/have a great tray, which is best described as a miniature rectangular beanie bag (35cm x 25cm x 6cm) with a wooden tray top velcroed on.

Infinitely adjustable and comfy.

J

ism
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2005, 01:37 PM

Sofa, loo, bed. (In that order)

evilernie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2005, 03:35 PM

I got the iLap for lazy-boy usage, works well.

redheadfred
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2005, 05:02 PM

after coming from a desktop pc, i love the freedom to move around. sitting on the couch is so much better than i imagined it. I usually use a magazine or book when my PB gets too warm. it does seem to happen alot and on this old Ti, the fans are kinda loud, but i just drown them out with music.

the few times i've used it in bed, i've turned it on its side so i can lay on my side too...kinda cool for browsing before going to sleep. and it doesn't heat up the bed and has plenty of air to cool off!

skelotar
Forum Regular
May 23, 2005, 05:25 PM

I use it on the toilet.. but thats just me.
::: r00t ::: - 15" PBook / 1.25 GB/ 1.33Ghz

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2005, 10:11 PM

Barcalounger.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by jdiddy
Yup both. I'm lying down on my bed as I type this.

Me too - I can seem to get more motivated for my stats homework this way.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 24, 2005, 02:57 AM

bed right now. i keep it on a thick binder (1.5inches? maybe a 2 incher) filled with paper.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

davoomac
Jul 26, 2005, 09:00 AM

Been using mine only on the bed.. no desk....
I set it up on a huge book, propping up the back of the PB with an old rubiks cube. i have an electric fan right next to my bed and it faces the powerbook too keepin it nice and cool
13" Macbook-ipad 64GB WIFI-ipod nano 8GB

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2005, 10:07 AM

bed couch floor carpet desk pooper u name it its been there.
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

Forum Links
Forum Rules