Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iTunes iPod Sync Issue, I'm stumped!

iTunes iPod Sync Issue, I'm stumped!
DrSnafu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 01:01 AM

Ok peoples, prepare to be stumped.

I'm currently having an issue where neither a 5g iPod video nor a 2g iPod Shuffle will sync properly.

It's pretty complicated so i'll list the main points below:
- 5g iPod video syncs content, but i get the error "The iPod "iPod" cannot be updated. An unknown error occurred (-50)." when i try to change the options.
- Brand new ipod shuffle gets the same error ALL THE TIME. I cant add music or change the options
- Every other ipod management program i've tried works fine [winamp, yamipod, anapod etc] and can get music on and off both ipods with no complaints.
- I've plugged both ipods into other computers [mac and pc] and they work fine [even in itunes]
- If i transfer music onto the shuffle with another program it's cool, but the next time i plug it in, itunes starts up automatically and 'updates' the ipod [wipes it clean]. I can't turn the 'start up itunes automatically' option off, because of point 2.

Before you reply, I've scoured the internet and tried the following things:
- Restart
- Restore
- Reinstall Itunes [latest version of course]
- Install the latest firmware on both pods
- Try updating under a different user account
- Use different cable
- Use different usb port [i've got about 8]
- Run disk diagnosis on both ipods

Here's my setup:
- WinXP 64bit pro
- Athlon 64 3500+
- NVidia Nforce4 Mobo

As far as I can tell, it's some kind of incomparability issue between iTunes and the USB controller on my mobo, or my version of Windows [which isn't that widely used].

I could just use another program to sync my music, but i want to transfer all my itunes smart playlists as well.

I'm not far off reinstalling windows at this point...

If anyone here can solve this bitch of an issue, I will sing your praises to whichever deity you favour every night for the rest of my life.

cheers

-ab

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2007, 07:56 AM

I've got the same problem (i.e. "The iPod "iPod" cannot be updated. An unknown error occurred (-50).") with my 5G 60GB iPod on OS 10.4.8.

This mightn't make you feel any better, but it'll get you a bump and some support in trying to get an answer

nextlevel
Jan 18, 2007, 08:53 AM

Not a pro on this stuff but I was getting the same thing. It still seemed to be updating but would get that error and then lock up. IPOD Photo - thought it was the photos but erased them still same thing turned out to be one corrupt song; it couldn't get past Bobby Brown from 1991 - he was messing things up even then. I don't think that will help the brand new ipod issue but perhaps it can't get started.HTH

m

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2007, 11:13 AM

try doing a complete restore on both ipods through itunes and report back...

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2008, 09:41 AM

Same problem here: 160 GB Classic iPod gives me error -50:

"The iPod 'XXXX' cannot be synced. Un unknown error occurred (-50)".

It has to do with the photos: when I let them not sync, everything is ok, but as soon as I want to put them on the iPod 9with or without full resolution, with or without first deleting all pics from the iPod, it gives this error and partly put some pics on the iPod.
Frustrating.

Forum Links
Forum Rules