Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > any chance to see a fanless emac/imac ever again?

any chance to see a fanless emac/imac ever again?
austeros
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 12:34 AM

i truely hate the fan in my rev b...thought that was the coolest thing ever with the slotloaders.

just wish there was a better (silent) way to cool the hardware.

heres hoping

There's someone in my head but its not me...

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 02:40 AM

The odds are very slim, at least as long as Apple uses the Motorola G4 CPU. It produces too much heat to be cooled fanless.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

MoparSteve
Sep 19, 2002, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
The odds are very slim, at least as long as Apple uses the Motorola G4 CPU. It produces too much heat to be cooled fanless.
How about the Cubes? I believe they were fanless and had G4's. I was hoping the FP iMacs would be fanless, but they're not. The fan does only run when needed, so it will be off if its in sleep mode, unlike my old rev A iMac.

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 08:56 PM

yeah, thats what i figured... just hoping someone would have a better idea then me.

the cubes were initially, but then they needone with the better graphics chip... and they didnt have the powersupply.

with an crt, you would think there would be more room (then the cube) to spread out the heat producers, but i guess not.

There's someone in my head but its not me...

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2002, 09:58 PM

no...never again.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2002, 12:18 PM

Its quite possible. Now that we don't have to deal with a crt anymore, much of the heat issues which warrant the fan in the new imac are alleviated. Lets face it though, processors are getting hotter and hotter. Until motorola decides to start manufacturing g4s (or whatever their next processor will be) at a smaller drilling size, the heat will be far too much to be dealt with without a fan. I have the sincere hope, however that this will happen eventually. The g4s, especially in the power macs are becoming so hot... i think its time for an overhaul. Since building the processors at a smaller size is the most known solution for this, i hope it will happen, but from the consumers perspective, the development and manufacturing prices, and thus total cost may be slightly increased. Another issue in the imac and emac is that the graphics card, the geforce2/3mx tend to generate a decent amount of heat as well, as do the hard drives, and the motherboard itself for that matter. My thought is that we will get a fanless imac somewhere along the line, but i don't know when, or really how for that matter. Its diffucult to cram so much stuff into a small space and then still have room for adequate ventilation. I do believe, however that apple realizes that a fanless machine is a demand for the consumer now - they made it so 3 years ago with their imac DV, and thus will continue tot look into its feasibility.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2002, 02:42 PM

I don't know where you guys are talking about..
my girlfriend has an eMac and well yeah there's a fan in there, but it's a super silent fan, you can only feel it if you put your hand behing the eMac, but you defenitly can't hear it!!
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2002, 03:45 AM

Are you sure it's super-quiet, or do you just live in a noisy area? You should still be able to hear the whirring of the hard drive in there unless there's something dramatically different about later eMacs that I haven't seen yet.

Earlier eMacs emitted a high-pitched whine from their rear-mounted fans.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2002, 03:45 AM

Well, noise levels, unless metered, are subjective, so what might be a "high-pitched" whine to me might be super-quiet computing to you...

Forum Links
Forum Rules