Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to create "Rich Email"?

How to create "Rich Email"?
morps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2000, 11:19 AM

How can I create emails that are completely HTML based. Specifically, creating emails like the ones Apple zaps out full with graphics, etc. I'm using Entourage from Office 2001, but I would suspect I'd need to author the HTML in another app.

Any thoughts?

iMacMike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2000, 01:36 PM

Outlook Express and Entourage do not support HTML mail, only HTML text (bold, italic, font, and size). The only decent mailer I've found that will do full HTML (ie tables, Javascript, imbedded graphics) mail is Netscape Communicator. I've easily created emails similar to Apple's and others using it. The only other way would be to send the HTML file and graphics as attachments, or using online links in your IMG SRC= tags.
--
"I work, I play, iMac!"

morps  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2000, 02:11 PM

Great. I'll give this a try. Strange that Microsoft hasn't included this feature yet.

TT Esq
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2000, 04:29 AM

In my opinion, it's one of the biggest drawbacks of OE.

I use OE for it's clean user interface as well as it's handling of multiple accounts, which I don't think that the other e-mail programs do quite so well yet. However, I think that it is the biggest pain that you can't put a clickable link in OE! Even AOL IM allows you to put in clickable links!

This is really a pain when you have a really long link, like a search result, or something like that, that takes four lines or so and looks like jibberish. Instead, you should be able to just put "click here" and that's all that there is to it.

So, Microsoft, how about it?

machappy
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2000, 04:40 PM

in some circles HTML mail is taboo. over weight and carrier of nasty script viruses (PC).
I turn off the ability to view HTML mail in entourage because I'm in that circle.
Do the net a favor and don't send these bloat mails, it makes you look like some purple text typing AOL newbie.

Ogden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2000, 03:52 AM

A great work-around for creating Rich Email is to table it out in Microsoft Word, save it as an HTML document, and then copy the source code into an Outlook Express email. It's a snap.

I run a rather large email list in my church (over 1000 recipients) and that is how we do it. It comes out clean and well done that way. Give it a shot!
<><
---- ogden ----

Forum Links
Forum Rules