Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple's Dirty Little Secret

Apple's Dirty Little Secret
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 12, 2006, 01:18 PM

I've figured it out. Don't believe me? Here it is...

Apple is going to crush MS. Steve (Jobs that is) will have Bill by the balls in about 5-10 years.

You're not entirely sure how this will pan out? Word of mouth...just like the iPods. When Apple released iPods to the Windows world...it took off in a bang. It didn't take long before everyone got to play with it and make it their next purchase.

The same will happen with the Mac (albeit with a slight twist)...instead of OS X working on PCs, Windows now works on Macs. A few fence sitters will suddenly feel that the right time to switch is *now*. These people will install Windows on the Mac which will rapidly become overcome with trojans, viruses and various malware...before long they'll realize how much better and maintainable OS X is. They'll dread booting back into Windows to play a game or use their Windows apps because of the slowdown and quirkiness of the OS.

These guys will start telling friends how much better OS X is. Since PC people relate better to recent switchers that haven't had time to build a bias towards Macs, they'll find the whole thing intriguing and buy themselves a Mac and go through the same process the first switcher went through (building hate for Windows and building love for OS X.) And this guy will tell his friends.

Now...the change won't happen overnight since computers get replaced every 3-7 years...but Apple is poised to double its market share in the next two years...and gradually increase in the following years.

Ok, I'm exaggerating with the "crush MS" deal...but in 5-10 years, Apple will have 20%+ market share simply because Apple let people compare OS X and Windows easily on one machine.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2006, 01:46 PM

I would agree....

except OS X is not secure. It just hasn't been attacked yet. Key word yet.

We'll find out how sturdy OS X truly is once the script kiddies decide to put any effort into attacking OS X.

Until then, my iBook has had to be formatted more often than my PC. My PC gets formatted 1x per year, not out of need, but to make me clear out any junk as in software I've downloaded and haven't used and been too lazy to download, and unnecessary files. My ibook got formatted 3x during March alone, and not due to shareware/freeware. Due to OS X acting up, or an OS X update hosing my OS.

As much as I love Apple and its products, I want to see Jobs fail because of his cocky/snotty attitude. Best recent occurrence is the uneducated quote regarding Windows using a 20 yr old BIOS when there are newer technologies available.

EFI and BIOS
Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

previous quote taken from http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

The foolishness of that quote alone is why Apple has never had a huge market share.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2006, 02:00 PM

I thought that BIOS quote was awesome. Whatchu complainin' 'bout?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 02:22 PM

Wow, I've used macs for 6 years and never had to reformat. Meanwhile I've reformatted by father's PCs at least 10 times.

And BIOS is twenty years old, that's just fact. I admit the quote exagerates, but I wouldn't call it "foolish."

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by mpancha
Saying this, OS X is, by design, more secure than XP. Its based on Unix for a start, which, as I understand it, is much more secure than whatever crap it is that XP is built on.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
Apr 12, 2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by mpancha
I would agree....

You're right, I've just hacked into your computer and you may have to reformat yet again. But, shhh...don't tell anyone that OS X isn't secure.

jocker
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 04:18 PM

XP is built on dos which is a single user operating system, designed to be used by 1 user only and unconnected to any network. U can see where the security problems come from straight away.

OSX on the other hand was designed from the ground up (rather than the top down, which Windows is) to be a multi user operating system, which is connected to a network, so it has inherently better security through design.

Its as simple as that. Obviously each iteration of windows gets better (I think) but it is still built on a dodgy foundation.
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by jocker
XP is built on dos
Wrong. Windows through Windows ME was built on DOS, but XP is not.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 12, 2006, 04:36 PM

This thread isn't discussing OS X.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules