Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Of hierarchical organisations and OS X

Of hierarchical organisations and OS X
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jan 3, 2007, 08:31 PM

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/01/....ap/index.html

To that end, folders are not the organizing metaphor on these machines, unlike most computers since Apple Computer Inc. launched the first Mac in 1984. The knock on folders is that they force users to remember where they stored their information rather than what they used it for.
Truer words have never been uttered. Actually, I've uttered something close to this many times...but who am I to say such things, right?

Anyways, Apple also has to move in this direction. Static folders, hierarchical file systems, spatial Finders, they're all a thing of the past. 10.5 better be the last OS to encourage this type of organization. We're pushing 1TB storages and some companies have announced 35TB+ by 2010. Is hierarchical organization really still the way to go? Maybe for you but certainly not for Joe Average.

Sure, the option should still exist...in a virtual manner not unlike iTunes playlists and iPhoto albums...but the default way to browse your files has got to change.

The file path is probably the worst type of metadata by which to organize files. It has got to be dropped in favor of other metadata such as date created, date modified, keywords, author, etc. Not for *your* good...but for the good of the general population.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 3, 2007, 10:36 PM

The thing is that the human mind works in an hierarchical fashion. We categorize things by gross characteristics down to fine characteristics, and our brains are wired to do that. Now if we forget where we put something in the first place, having a bunch of metadata is useful; I may forget what I called a document, but I usually remember that I created it some time between last Wednesday and lasts Friday, so I can look for all the documents created then and start narrowing down the possibilities. That's what metadata is all about.

So I agree that having a great way to find stuff is a super idea, but it should not be considered the default way to find stuff. Thinking about putting one's work files in a work folder, and one's school stuff in a school folder means that, if one does forget exactly where it is, one has a lot less area to search before finding it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
Jan 3, 2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
So I agree that having a great way to find stuff is a super idea, but it should not be considered the default way to find stuff. Thinking about putting one's work files in a work folder, and one's school stuff in a school folder means that, if one does forget exactly where it is, one has a lot less area to search before finding it.
This is only true under very many assumptions...three of the more important ones are:

One has good sorting skills.
One actually spends the time to put all files in their correct folders.
One actually understands the organization scheme.

I could talk for hours about these assumptions.

Just because you think the human mind organizes information this way (and it doesn't) doesn't mean it's the correct way to organize information outside the brain.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2007, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The thing is that the human mind works in an hierarchical fashion. We categorize things by gross characteristics down to fine characteristics, and our brains are wired to do that. Now if we forget where we put something in the first place, having a bunch of metadata is useful; I may forget what I called a document, but I usually remember that I created it some time between last Wednesday and lasts Friday, so I can look for all the documents created then and start narrowing down the possibilities. That's what metadata is all about.

What if something fits in 2 or 3 categories, and you don't know which one to file it in? That's really common. I come across that every day in fact.

Something that tagging and search makes VERY easy to deal with :-)

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2007, 12:00 AM

Certainly some things can fit into more than one category. Sometimes this sort of thing gives you a brand new category, and other times you just decide "this is more like these than like those." Of course when you want to find it, you're probably just as likely to remember the category you didn't choose, and that's again where metadata searches come in.

The kind of metadata we're used to using is stuff like file creation date, name, size, and that sort of thing. I think that the point Horsepoo!!!'s quoted article was making was that search tools are getting smart enough to search on OTHER stuff, like words in documents, songs in playlists and that sort of thing. That's a great advance.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 4, 2007, 06:15 AM

maybe the way you organize your files isn't as important as the search capabilities...
I mean, I try to organize my files the best I can (and I spend a lot of time doing this, because I'm a tidy freak), but even so, sometimes I can't find what I'm looking for, that's when the search becomes key!
I use spotlight and it finds *something*, and then I have to look inside the search results...
That's why I think the search *may be* more important, and also the reason for it to evolve.
Today's search is better than two years ago, but not good enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules