Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is a max RAM bump anytime soon?

Is a max RAM bump anytime soon?
GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 30, 2008, 02:32 PM

Does anyone know if MBP is on the verge of bumping the maximum RAM? I'm not too concerned with proc speed, but I'd love to be able to go further than 4GB of RAM.

Is anyone familiar enough with upcoming architectures & the SO-DIMM market to know if we'll see higher maximum ram in the next update?

ImpulseResponse

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2008, 05:23 PM

Cantiga, the next mobile chipset from Intel, will be released in July and supports 8GB DDR3. The 4GB SODIMMs may not be available initially, but should become available during the machine's viable lifetime. I'd expect Apple to upgrade the MBP about a month after the chipset release based on their past releases.

GSixZero  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2008, 12:55 PM

So August or September for the chip to be in MBP, plus another 4 or 6 months until the 4GB SODIMMs are available and not crazy expensive? Does that work out to early 2009 before 8gb will be possible for less than $500 in RAM costs?

ImpulseResponse

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2008, 02:17 PM

Eh, probably longer than 4-6 months for 4GB SODIMMs it to drop below $60/GB; DDR3 is currently about double that price per gig and not yet available in 512MB chips. I'd guess 4-6 months before we see 4GB DDR3 SODIMMs in significant volume and another 6+ months for prices to come down to $60/GB

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2008, 05:11 PM

I predict the DDR3 prices will drop precipitously once mainstream computer chipsets start supporting it, much like DDR2 prices did. I also predict that DDR2 prices to rise as manufactures retool to make DDR3 instead of DDR2, just like DDR prices are now greater than their low 2 years ago.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

P
Jun 2, 2008, 06:22 PM

Of course, but the question is when. There is usually a dip in demand around early spring - say that manufacturers use that time next year to move to DDR3 in a big way (about time for Nehalem, which has an on-die memory controller for it), and we'd have decent prices about a year from now, or a little more. Matches mduell's prediction as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules