Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Disk Image through Windows?

Disk Image through Windows?
BreadRecipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2008, 12:05 AM

Is there a way to use, say, Acronis through Boot Camp for making an image of the entire disk in my iMac? Or, since there are restrictions on accessibility of the Mac partitions, will it only backup Boot Camp? And if that's so, is there a good, possibly free, alternative through OS X that will image the entire machine?
/sudo apt-get upgrade checking account balance <enter>...?

www.Failblog.org

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2008, 12:57 AM

Are you talking about Mac disk images or Windows disk images? On the Mac you've got Disk Utility (free) or Toast (not as free) to choose from - those are the major options. On Windows you've got whatever built-in backup app M$ provides or third party ISO utilities.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

hokie17
Aug 20, 2008, 03:28 PM

I'd say use either Time Machine or SuperDuper to backup your Mac partition and use Winclone (a Mac program) to backup your Boot Camp partition.

Winclone is free.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

BreadRecipe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2008, 06:31 PM

So essentially, if my HDD fails, then I'd have to reinstall OS X on a new drive, load a disk image, re-partition and install Windows via Boot Camp, re-install the imaging software, and then reload the Windows image to get my machine where it was... I know of this option. But I know Acronis allows you to back up an entire volume regardless of how many partitions are on it and also regardless of whether or not they're all the same type or not. Except of course for the way Mac writes their partitions... Basically, I want to:

1: Install new HDD
2: Install OS X
3: Load volume image. Not just OS X, but the Boot Camp bit of the volume too
4: Imbibe

www.Failblog.org

hokie17
Aug 20, 2008, 06:36 PM

No, you wouldn't have to reinstall Windows. After you get OS X up, create a Boot Camp partition of the same size that yours was, and choose not to install Windows. After the BC Assistant finishes, you can restore from Winclone.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

BreadRecipe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2008, 06:39 PM

Hmmm... That's pretty good, only one step more than what I know is technically possible. Sucks I have to re-partition, but that's the shortest step of the whole process anyway. Thanks

www.Failblog.org

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by BreadRecipe View Post
Hmmm... That's pretty good, only one step more than what I know is technically possible. Sucks I have to re-partition, but that's the shortest step of the whole process anyway. Thanks
I use a combination of WinClone for BootCamp and SuperDuper for Mac. My BC partition is backed up every Sunday to my main Mac HDD, then that is cloned to an external firewire HDD. If I needed to restore, I clone the external back onto the internal and I'm back in business in less than 2 hours and with no heartache.

zack13532
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2008, 09:50 PM

I think I know what you're trying to do. I've never used Acronis, but a friend has preached it's wonders to me, and I know a little about it. Acronis makes it's own backup with a sector by sector copy as a .tib file. I'm pretty sure you will need their bootable utility, burn that to a disc, boot from it (holding "C"), then do your stuff. Thing is, the disc might not support the mac architecture and won't boot or will run into other problems. Worth a try I guess.

Forum Links
Forum Rules