Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Freeverse/Strange Flavour is Awesome

Freeverse/Strange Flavour is Awesome
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 29, 2004, 10:49 AM

Apple should be proud to have such dedicated game developers. Apple should work closely with these guys because they've got a real talent to use Apple's new hardware or software technology.

Most of their games are average. Some of the older games that made to OS X have a weird Carbon feel to them. But the latest crop of games really shine...I'm talking about Toy Sight, the first (and only) game to use iSight as an input method; Big Bang Chess, with excellent Rendezvous use, and iChat and Mail integration.

I think they'll continue to make some really neat networkable games in the future.

Airburst Extreme will be really awesome judging by the number of different game variation and graphics (accelerated using OpenGL?). And Wingnut 2 should be a real piece of eye-candy also.

I think Apple needs to bundle these great games with the iMac (they used to). Freeverse games and Pangea Software games are the best family-oriented games out there, IMO. Freeverse creates some high quality multiplayer games and Pangea makes some great single-player 3D games.

I know Mac OS X already comes with a Chess app but I think everyone should know about ToySight (should come bundled with iSight, IMO), Big Bang Chess and the upcoming Airburst Extreme.

Come on, Apple...cut a deal with Freeverse...and don't be cheap about it. Bundling these great games will add a whole lot more value to iMacs/iSights.

Slightly off-topic: Freeverse also makes Bumpercar, a kid-oriented browser based on Webcore.

I don't think Apple should bundle every Freeverse game ever made...I think that would be a bit expensive for Apple. But they should certainly bundle a couple and advertise Freeverse/Strange Flavour and Pangea games extensively so that people know these great games are out there.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 11:48 AM

Agreed. I'm really happy with the quality and attention Freeverse put into their latest products. They'd make the perfect demo apps at Apple Retail Store and possibly lure more people to buy Macs.

I'd like to send a feedback to Apple about this but not sure where to do this. http://www.apple.com/feedback or http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback doesn't seem like a right place.

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2004, 12:01 PM

There was a bundle of Freeverse card games available for free to .Mac members several months back.

So, Apple is apparently working with them in some manner....

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

Forum Links
Forum Rules