Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > On compatibility with other large felines

On compatibility with other large felines
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 05:49 PM

What is the current status of building a bundle compatible with old versions of OS X? I recall that in order to make a universal binary I had to give up 10.3 compatibility. I've only recently gained access to a 10.5 machine, and the XCode download description is already getting me confused (2.5 vs 3.0). So which version(s) of XCode can still build apps that run on 10.3 and/or 10.4, and what settings can I use to be compatible with 10.5 and the largest number of older operating systems?

Sorry if this has been asked before; I tried to search. TIA

szymczyk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2008, 03:32 PM

You don't have to give up 10.3 compatibility to build a universal binary. Set the PowerPC version's deployment target (add a build setting named MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET_ppc) to 10.3. If you're writing a C++ program and you want it to run on OS versions prior to 10.3.9, you have to use gcc 3.3 to build the PowerPC version.

Xcode 3 allows you to build apps that will run on 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5. It includes SDKs for these three operating systems as well as the gcc 3.3 and gcc 4 compilers. You'll have to do an optional install to install gcc 3.3 as well as the 10.3 and 10.4 SDKs. If you need older SDKs and gcc compilers, you'll need to install Xcode 2.5.

The Mac OS X Deployment Target build setting determines the minimum version of Mac OS X your program will run on. This assumes you're not using any technologies introduced in later versions of Mac OS X. For example, Core Data code will not run on 10.3 because it was introduced in 10.4.
Mark Szymczyk
Author, Xcode Tools Sensei
http://www.meandmark.com

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 06:19 PM

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules