Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook on its SECOND repair already.

Macbook on its SECOND repair already.
kapkorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 01:35 PM

I ordered my Macbook the day it came out... it never seemed quite right always freezing so I sent it in and they replaced the Logic Board.

Buuut when I get it back it is realllly scratched up on the lid and bottom and I also notice on the bottom a small buldge/crack (it looks like they put a screw in too far and it came thru the bottom of the case) so I dont worry about it for a while.

Then it starts to discolor, finally being annoyed I go into the Apple store, they sent it in for repair again, the guy was really nice though and at least acted like they will fix the crack too. I figured Apple would try to say that I cracked it but so far they havent, however the repair is now on hold so that makes me nervous.

Anyone else had repeat macbook repairs? I have my fingers crossed that they will properly repair it or if it will end up more scratched.
Windows IT guy by day,
Mac\Linux user by night.

My FIRST Mac ever!
Macbook 2.0Ghz 100GB HDD 2GB RAM

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 02:48 PM

Yes,

Repeat repairs that were not only fixed but messed up when my MacBook came back. I sent apple a nice email yesterday about the whole situation. I may have been a little too weird in my writing style though to expect a response.

nickw311
Senior User
Aug 2, 2006, 03:14 PM

I need to send mine in for a second time because mine is discoloring again.
27" iMac C2D

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by nickw311
I need to send mine in for a second time because mine is discoloring again.
You're not the only one.

http://5thirtyone.com/archives/540

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2006, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
Yes,

Repeat repairs that were not only fixed but messed up when my MacBook came back. I sent apple a nice email yesterday about the whole situation. I may have been a little too weird in my writing style though to expect a response.
I'm curious to know what contacts you may have emailed.. I have a few internal addresses. Still contemplating if I should shoot a few emails off to look for answers. I'm thinking if this second shell replacement I have lined up shows the same discoloration, then I might make sure to shoot a message.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2006, 05:00 AM

Does anyone know what causes this discoloration and why it appears to have started with the MacBook and not the seemingly identical iBook line?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ShaunaBlair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Does anyone know what causes this discoloration and why it appears to have started with the MacBook and not the seemingly identical iBook line?
From what I have read on the Apple discussion boards, it is caused by the oils in your hands coming in contact with a certain kind of plastic they used on some of the MacBooks. But, it looks like they have no qualms replacing the discolored parts, so I'd certainly say send it in if you have any discoloration!

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by eatinwokout
I'm curious to know what contacts you may have emailed.. I have a few internal addresses. Still contemplating if I should shoot a few emails off to look for answers. I'm thinking if this second shell replacement I have lined up shows the same discoloration, then I might make sure to shoot a message.
I just straight up emailed "stevejobs"... wasn't really expecting any response to my animated email. However today someone from Apple called me at my work and let me know my laptop would be at my house tomorrow and I should call back when I get it...

kapkorn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 11:28 AM

Well I got it back last night and they replaced the case bottom where they cracked it before and they replaced the discolored parts.

The seams all look nice, they did a good job!
Windows IT guy by day,
Mac\Linux user by night.

My FIRST Mac ever!
Macbook 2.0Ghz 100GB HDD 2GB RAM

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006, 12:10 PM

It's too bad the replacement shell that Apple swapped is discolored now as well. I've lost all interest in owning a clean white MacBook. The machine works, and I love it. But the color and appearance... meh.

ferric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 03:28 PM

So, like everyone else, my replacement top case / bezel is discolored again. What's the consensus here, wait till Apple gets their act together on this or keep replacing till the end of eternity?

Forum Links
Forum Rules