Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Recommended all-in-one printer for OS X?

Recommended all-in-one printer for OS X?
eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2007, 12:45 AM

I have seriously lost patience with the HP PSC-750xi that is sitting on my desk. I almost threw it out the front door after I tried to print a single draft of a paper. After 3 restarts, the printer finally decided to print BEFORE the computer even made it completely through the startup process on the third retry.

I'm looking for recommendations for preferably all-in-one printers that I can use either wired or wireless with three other machines. Any recommendations? Someone told me to check out the Canon Pixma MP800. A little on the high side. Target is $200 or less.

mindwaves
Jan 22, 2007, 01:36 AM

I just bought myself a Canon PIXMA MP160 from amazon for $80. Not bad even thought the scan button on the machine doesn't work (I scan via software instead). Fast nice scans. Printer is a bit bulky, but nice. I recommend it after having used 2 HP AIOs before which are not bad themselves.

I print from it wirelessly through Mac OS X Printer Sharing. Works perfectly!

eatinwokout  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2007, 01:37 AM

Is the bundled software Universal?

mindwaves
Jan 22, 2007, 01:56 AM

Actually, some of them appear to be PPC while others Universal.

The main app to scan is Universal.
The OCR app (OminPage) is PPC.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 01:22 PM

I had the Canon MP130 and it was pretty crappy and cheap.

I replaced both that printer and my old Canon i700 photoprinter with the Canon MP600 and I am really impressed with it. It prints better than my old canon 6 colour photo printer and it is an amazing multifunction.

Most multifunction printers have those buttons on the unit to allow you to print direct to email/PDF etc but on a mac they normally never work or when they do use really bad software and do a bad job.

The MP600 does it all flawlessly on a mac. Highly recommended.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2007, 05:21 PM

i have the mp760 and it works like a dream for me...
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Zarqawi's Eye
Baninated
Jan 22, 2007, 06:47 PM

I have a brother 7820N. It is networked through ethernet into my wired/wireless router. Since my laptops connect over wifi, and the printer's software allows printing or scanning over the network, I can print or scan wirelessly from any computer.

it's a black and white laser printer, full-color scanner/fax, with an auto doc tray for auto feeding/loading through the scanner/copier.

Works well for me.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2007, 07:37 PM

HP printers work well with OS X
Signature depreciated.

runninkyle17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2007, 08:30 PM

I picked up an HP Photosmart C3180 when I bought my Macbook Pro. It ended up being free due to the $100 mail-in rebate. It is an all-in-one and so far I really like it. For a $100 printer it is a great deal and I bet you can find it for around $50 on ebay.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2007, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by runninkyle17 View Post
I picked up an HP Photosmart C3180 when I bought my Macbook Pro. It ended up being free due to the $100 mail-in rebate. It is an all-in-one and so far I really like it. For a $100 printer it is a great deal and I bet you can find it for around $50 on ebay.
I have the same printer with my MacBook. I had been using 'psc 2175' (don't no the real name) but the printing software wasn't Universal and it caused it to print wildly.

I like my current printer. One question: how long do the ink cartridges last for this printer?
Signature depreciated.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 22, 2007, 09:30 PM

Canons are great, IMO. The MP...600 (I think) prints double-sided, as well.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2007, 12:32 AM

Just wanted to mention that the Feb. 2007 issue of Consumer Reports has reviews of about 2 dozen AIO's...

There isn't much talk about the bundled software or Macs, but they list specs like cost per page as well as speed and print quality assessments.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2007, 02:03 AM

I like the HP printers, but their software sucks. They try and force a dock item on every restart, and occasionally if my computer has been up for a week or two I'll check my activity monitor and something called 'HP Communications' will be taking 60% of my processor when I'm not actually doing anything.
Other than that I've been happy with it. I'd stay away from Lexmark though.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 04:57 PM

I've gone through a few. I have an HP PSC1510 which I'm ready to throw out the window. I've not had very good luck with HP AIO's, particularly with the front-loading mechanism. Mine doesn't feed paper properly anymore just after a few months of use (you have to force the paper in). I don't use the software that much to really care about it, but as it's unobtrusive it works for me.

One thing I demand of printer drivers and software drivers is that they must come with an uninstall program. It gets annoying to have their "wizard" run every startup asking me to reconfigure their printer if I remove it.

At work I use a Brother MFC-7820N. This is a very good printer, albeit B&W for print-outs. Brother's software could use a little bit more polishing, but it works well with Windows, Mac, and Linux.

I'm eyeing the Canon AIOs for their rear-loading mechanisms. I feel they'll last me the longest, and their MP models have been getting good reviews.

eatinwokout  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2007, 05:03 PM

Generally I prefer to stay away from magazine reviews. Personal assessments of printers in forum discussions such as these carry far more value in my eyes.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
HP printers work well with OS X
Only the lasers. The software for the inkjets and MP's are horrible.

HP's typically have the highest cost per page.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 06:31 PM

Another vote for cannon. And negative for HP. I had an HP as the last two printers, and had numerous problems...mainly with software bugs that froze the printer.

Not one problem with the canon (knock on wood) and the software that comes with it is great.

eatinwokout  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2007, 06:34 PM

Just ordered the PIXMA 600... Hope it works. Thanks for the help guys.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post

HP's typically have the highest cost per page.
It works pretty damn well on my MacBook. Is this common?
Signature depreciated.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
It works pretty damn well on my MacBook. Is this common?
Do a search. Over the past 5 years every OS update breaks a number of HP drivers while all other printer manufacturers are fine.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 24, 2007, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
The color laser at my school's performing arts wing rarely cooperated with the eMacs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules