Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X v10.8 - Mountain Lion

OS X v10.8 - Mountain Lion (Page 6)
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2012, 05:50 PM

anyone else the teeniest bit annoyed that Notification Center is the furthest right button on the menubar? I'm so used to Spotlight be there

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2012, 08:54 PM

Hey, Mountain Lion got released! Now I can talk about it.

Here are some useful options added to Mountain Lion for people who hated many of Lion's "improvements":

1. Save As is back. Hold down the Option key while clicking on the File menu, and you will see it. All who were claiming that bringing Save As back would be a Luddite move toward the past and would impede the inexorable march of progress can start backpedaling now.

2. There is a new option called "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" in the General System Preferences that will protect you from accidental changes to your documents due to the autosave feature. Very handy.

3. In the Mission Control pref pane, there's a check box labeled "Group windows by application." If you turn this off, you get the old-school Exposé behavior back.

4. In the Finder sidebar, the "Devices" group is still shoved to the bottom by default — but if you dislike this, you can now drag it back up to the top.

To my mind, things like AirPlay are not the biggest new features in Mountain Lion. The biggest feature, by far, in Mountain Lion is the fixing of the irritating aspects of Lion's changes.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2012, 11:47 PM

I'm wondering why, with Mountain Lion bringing us closer to iOS, the OS X team hasn't allowed Mail and Messages to run as background services yet. I was hoping that Notification Center would behave like it does with iOS, but it breaks completely if the corresponding apps haven't been launched.

Maybe this will come in a point update?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2012, 06:01 AM

Perhaps, but it's really important to be able to turn off such processes on a production machine. The "quit" metaphor works well, predictably, and reliably for this.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2012, 07:26 AM

I upgraded to Mountain Lion as it was released here in the UK.

I have a problem, mentioned in Apple support.

The best way to describe it, is open windows "Jitter" / shake violently for around half a second, when moved.

I have Desktop as a hot corner, and when activated the windows close, bounce off the corner a few times, minimised, then close fully.

Same with several open windows when mission control used.

Any minimised windows, jerk their way up the screen.

I've done PRAM reset, loaded in Safe mode, when the effect was lessened, loaded startup item one by one, no jitter.

So according to other info, it's probably a kernel extension ?

Any help appreciated.

Also, when I scroll, such as this window, it jitters like mad.

EXTRA:
After an hour long conversation with Applecare (UK) and several options of booting etc, I have now been booked into my local Apple Store to have my iMac looked over to trace the fault.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Ham Sandwich
Jul 30, 2012, 07:28 AM

Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Let's say that I do bypass by Command-N... then I copy and paste the text. As soon as I hit Command-S, TextEdit goes into "Weird Mode #1," as described below, and the only way out is to Force Quit TextEdit!

Weird Mode #1 has the following properties:
[1] If I hit Command-S to save the document, TextEdit locks me out of being able to use the menubar or make edits to the document for about a minute. TextEdit just sits there, doesn't use any CPU power, it just refuses to respond until after that minute has passed.
I just tried this, and it works just fine.

Opened Textedit.
Hit Cmd-N
Typed some crap. Selected all, copied, and pasted.
Hit Cmd-S to save.

I immediately get the save dialog, which defaults to iCloud storage. No delay, no freeze, no weirdness whatsoever.

The menu bar lets me create new documents as I wish, same as always.

FWIW, this is an early 2011 Thunderbolt 13" MacBook Pro, upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion last year, and now upgraded to Mountain Lion.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2012, 08:40 AM

I could not duplicate any weirdness either.

How much text are you pasting? Is it enough that auto-save would take some time to do its work? Is it saving to a network, or a nearly full hard disk? Those are the only things I can think of that might cause the delay.

Beyond that, I would ask the standard question. Does it do the same thing in another user account? Did you try deleting the preference plist?

Ham Sandwich
Jul 30, 2012, 10:53 AM

Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Is it saving to a network, or a nearly full hard disk?
Well since the Save As... dialogue box never appears, I couldn't tell you where TextEdit is trying to save it. I have almost 90 GB of free space.
The Save dialog appears instantaneously here, and it defaults to iCloud.

Are your iCloud login and password entered and working?

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Perhaps, but it's really important to be able to turn off such processes on a production machine. The "quit" metaphor works well, predictably, and reliably for this.
True, but I think that in this case I'd prefer default functionality that mirrors iOS, with a "silent" toggle that will kill background notifications either manually or based on a schedule. More things to go wrong there, of course, so I know where you're coming from.

Still, if they're going to make their apps and basic feature set mirror iOS, it seems backwards to me to omit these types of things. If my apps look the same, I expect them to behave the same. When they don't, confusion ensues.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 30, 2012, 03:26 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2012, 03:33 PM

If you are hitting "save" and the save box defaults to iCloud document storage, then yes, you ARE trying to log into iCloud.

Look, something's hanging on your machine, and it's not on ours. We're trying to help you figure out what.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 31, 2012, 07:30 AM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2012, 08:10 AM

Well, there you go.

Are your iCloud login and password entered correctly?

Do you have a third-party firewall or Little Snitch running?

Do the other iCloud services work for you?

Ham Sandwich
Jul 31, 2012, 09:23 AM

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
anyone else the teeniest bit annoyed that Notification Center is the furthest right button on the menubar? I'm so used to Spotlight be there
Cmd-space your way to spotlight. dragging your cursor all the way to the corner is such a chore anyway.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2012, 11:01 AM

But I don't get an iCloud login screen at any point from when I startup my computer to when I'm using TextEdit, so I don't have to enter any of my info.
I don't use a Firewall.
Check your iCloud credentials in the system preferences.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 31, 2012, 02:09 PM

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2012, 03:57 PM

Alright, I did that.
And?

Ham Sandwich
Jul 31, 2012, 04:23 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2012, 05:03 PM

Okay. Good luck.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 1, 2012, 03:13 AM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2012, 03:32 AM

Woah. You have Computer Issues.

My suggestion for the iCloud problem (and it IS an iCloud problem) would have been to delete your iCloud credentials in the system preference, close the system preferences, re-open them, and log back into iCloud.

The desktop thing...if you have more issues like that (and from your past posts, it sounds like you're prone to weird little "voodoo" issues), I would try the following:

- Delete the caches in your home folder Library.

- repair the disk structure from the recovery partition.

- in the Finder, get info on your home folder, and at the bottom, under permissions, click on the tool icon and select "apply permissions to all enclosed items".

I have also seen some really freakish issues caused by defective RAM. But that involved random crashing of applications, also. He replaced the RAM, and the crashing stopped. But iTunes would still fail to recognize his iPod. Turned out that the defective RAM had also corrupted his OS reinstall. Reinstalled with fresh RAM, and all was well.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 1, 2012, 08:51 AM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2012, 11:30 AM

How exactly did you copy back your data to the fresh system?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2012, 11:38 AM

Woah. You have Computer Issues.
My suggestion for the iCloud problem (and it IS an iCloud problem) would have been to delete your iCloud credentials in the system preference, close the system preferences, re-open them, and log back into iCloud.
I'm still new to iCloud (never used it before, never uses MobileMe), so how do I do this?
How about going into system preferences, selecting the iCloud pane, and logging out?

The desktop thing...if you have more issues like that (and from your past posts, it sounds like you're prone to weird little "voodoo" issues), I would try the following:
- Delete the caches in your home folder Library.
- repair the disk structure from the recovery partition.
How do I do these, and which caches specifically should I delete?
How did you delete the desktop preference file?

In the same Library director, there is a Caches folder. This is irrelevant now, though, since you've fixed the problem by deleting the preference file.

Repairing the disk structure from the recovery partition is the same thing as running fsck -y from the terminal, except without the potential to mess up a running system. This is how you should repair your disk.

still, I have to ask: are you I the habit of doing stuff from the command line by copying and pasting commands off Internet sites, rather than through the graphical utilities Apple provides?

Jens Peter
Senior User
Aug 1, 2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
Cmd-space your way to spotlight. dragging your cursor all the way to the corner is such a chore anyway.
It just looks wrong. I use cmd+space all the time, and have since 10.4, but I can't get used to it either.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 1, 2012, 02:59 PM

Ham Sandwich
Aug 4, 2012, 02:45 PM

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2012, 02:55 PM

When I hit Command-N in TextEdit, the iCloud splash screen first shows up... then goes away and a new document opens.
Hey question: Is there any way I can share just a few my text documents (in my iCloud) with friends who just happen to use Windows?
I'd like to do the same with Calendars... but if I can't easily let my Windows friends see it then would you folks recommend Google Calendar instead?
The easiest way to share your documents with friends is to email it to them. Drag and drop to an email message. iCloud is meant as personal storage. With DropBox you could put files into your public folder and send links to your friends.

With calendars, you can export from the File menu and email that to someone. Or you can email individual events.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2012, 02:57 PM

I can see Apple didn't bother to spend one second debugging all the drag-drop and crash bugs with Preview. I still can't get used to this auto-save; I have to remember to make a duplicate manually before editing, or else, if I screw up, I can't always revert (sometimes I can - I used to hit Command-W and then Command-D for "Don't Save").
Gosh, I miss the days of OS X 10.6, where I just knew how applications worked and they were common sense. Now everything requires an instruction manual and I still can't do a lot of obvious basic stuff (see my iCloud thread), I've never felt so confused.
I do heavy drag and drop editing in Preview and it doesn't crash for me.

As for auto-save, you don't have to make a duplicate before editing, or else. If you decide to discard the edits you've made, just Revert from the File menu to the last saved version. It's the same as Close and Don't Save.

These are big changes, but I'm getting used to them and I think that in the long term we will see that they are good.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2012, 05:13 PM

I can see Apple didn't bother to spend one second debugging all the drag-drop and crash bugs with Preview. I still can't get used to this auto-save; I have to remember to make a duplicate manually before editing, or else, if I screw up, I can't always revert (sometimes I can - I used to hit Command-W and then Command-D for "Don't Save").
Turn on "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" in the General preference pane.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2012, 06:51 PM

I can see Apple didn't bother to spend one second debugging all the drag-drop and crash bugs with Preview.
Remove and reseat your RAM, or outright replace it.

You've been complaining about weird issues for a while now that people simply aren't seeing.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 5, 2012, 07:26 AM

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2012, 07:34 AM

Wow, I honestly never saw that option in General Preferences. Fine but Command-D doesn't work on the "Revert Changes" dialogue.
It's Command-Delete now.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 5, 2012, 09:26 AM

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2012, 02:54 PM

But what if my schedule changes after I emailed them? I would rather have them see my schedule as I update it...
Then you Share the calendar (File > Share Calendar). They'll see your live calendar with changes as you make them.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2012, 05:36 PM

Command-Delete doesn't do anything. The dialog just sits there:
"Do you want to save the changes made to the document [title name]?"
Revert Changes (Command-Delete doesn't respond to this) - Cancel - Save
Whoops, you're right. Sorry about that.

However, if Full Keyboard Access is on, the Revert button seems to be the button that's initially selected, so you can hit Space to revert quickly.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Whoops, you're right. Sorry about that.
It's cmd-shift-delete -- the same shortcut as Finder > Empty Trash

Ham Sandwich
Aug 6, 2012, 07:08 AM

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2012, 11:57 AM

Command-Shift-Delete doesn't work either. The "Revert Changes" dialogue just sits there. This works only on a brand new document, not a correction or modification.
That's correct. Cmd-shift-delete is a shortcut for the Delete button:

If you're trying to revert an existing document, the Revert button is the default so Return or Enter will select that:

And I use Command-Option-Shift-Delete to empty the trash.
The keyboard shortcut is Cmd-shift-delete. Adding option is unnecessary, but it still works.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 6, 2012, 01:16 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
The keyboard shortcut is Cmd-shift-delete. Adding option is unnecessary, but it still works.

Option will force deletion of locked files without asking.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2012, 01:25 PM

Add some kind of annotation to a PDF... say, an arrow pointing to something, in the PDF.
Save and close the document.
Email it to someone, say, on a PC.
The arrow is gone! But you can still see it on your Mac.
I did test this, and the arrow displayed on the Mac and PC.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 7, 2012, 09:31 AM

Ham Sandwich
Aug 14, 2012, 08:07 AM

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2012, 11:12 AM

People say this works: https://github.com/davekeck/DisableExtremeScrollAcceleration

Ham Sandwich
Aug 14, 2012, 05:23 PM

HamSandwich
Aug 15, 2012, 03:06 AM

Hey!
I read along here for a while until I finally got the opportunity to switch to Mountain Lion myself. To me, one question remains I had hoped someone could answer. I always thought they had modified Finder views a bit so everything would look more structured; now there is this 'All my files' in the sidebar - I don't know how to use this and it looks very well sorted, but entirely different than any other 'view' (I mean this, just to be really clear).

I thought 'all my files' means all files from the hard drive; is that wrong? That's a bit much. Or is it only about the files in this very folder? I disabled this option for now, and now I'm on another computer for a few days, so I can't try. Any thoughts?

Looked cool at first for sure.
Greetings, Pete

Forum Links
Forum Rules