Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPad: Killer App that will get you to open your wallet ?

iPad: Killer App that will get you to open your wallet ? (Page 2)
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
For what device ?
Any computer, I suppose. Maybe even an TV.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Any computer, I suppose. Maybe even an TV.
What's the point ?

Any desktop computer would already have a monitor. Maybe as second monitor ?

At any rate, that seems to be a quite far fetched use, surely not something the average consumer would want / need.

-t

Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 03:53 PM

It'd be nifty if you could use the iPad as a wireless display, and I don't mean through VNC.
Kinda like X11 forwarding?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2010, 04:08 PM

I'm curious, and this an honest question.

For people bitching about no multitasking (on the iPhone, Touch, or iPad), what EXACTLY do you need multitasking for? Please be specific.

For me, I can't think of anything I do on my iPhone where multitasking will be helpful. If I'm in Mail and want to see a link, I click the link and Safari opens. When I'm done, I reopen Mail. What's the big deal? It's not as if apps take a long time to open.

I fail to see where having two or more apps open simultaneously on an iPhone, Touch, or iPad is going to significantly enhance the user experience.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 29, 2010, 04:10 PM

Some people pointed out that something as basic as surfing the web while listening to music is impossible.

How about instant messaging while checking mail?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2010, 04:19 PM

The killer ap for me will be something like slingbox, but without the need for a $250 slingbox.

Let me stream TV from my TiVo to my iPad and I'll be in portable heaven. Or simply let me transfer and watch TiVo shows without dealing with a big hassle.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post

For people bitching about no multitasking (on the iPhone, Touch, or iPad), what EXACTLY do you need multitasking for? Please be specific.

For me, I can't think of anything I do on my iPhone where multitasking will be helpful. If I'm in Mail and want to see a link, I click the link and Safari opens. When I'm done, I reopen Mail. What's the big deal? It's not as if apps take a long time to open.

I fail to see where having two or more apps open simultaneously on an iPhone, Touch, or iPad is going to significantly enhance the user experience.
I was just having this exact discussion. I have several friends who say that the lack of multi-tasking on the iPhone is a big deal breaker and I really just don't get it. It takes 3 seconds to change apps.

I asked this question (what EXACTLY do you multitask on your phone) and the answer I got was that someone was uploading files via FTP, checking a website to make sure they got there, talking via skype and leaving google latitude on so he could be found.

Seems a little extreme to me.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Some people pointed out that something as basic as surfing the web while listening to music is impossible.

How about instant messaging while checking mail?
Really? Surfing the Web while listening to music is possible on the iPhone.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2010, 04:31 PM

Not if you use Pandora or something like it.

Don't get me wrong... I can see a use for multi-tasking on a phone... I just don't think it's a really big deal.

It is, however, a much bigger deal on something like the iPad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 29, 2010, 04:31 PM

The person may have quoted Pandora specifically. This would apply to last.fm as well.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 29, 2010, 05:38 PM

i think, if the rumors are true, that 4.0 will allow us to multitask with applications that deliver music, chat apps, alarms, and tracking apps (for exercise and gps). but nothing beyond that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 29, 2010, 05:39 PM

I haven't noticed any tech sites suggest multi-tasking would be in 4.0 Mostly us.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 29, 2010, 05:42 PM

i must have just heard it so often in here that i wanted them to be "real" rumors.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 29, 2010, 05:44 PM

More like Land of the Easily Confused.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 06:07 PM

What's the point ?

Any desktop computer would already have a monitor.
I can't use my desktop computer on the couch.

Originally Posted by 11011001 View Post
Kinda like X11 forwarding?
Yeah, I suppose.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 06:24 PM

I can't use my desktop computer on the couch.
If by "wireless display" you mean various VNC implementations, then yes, this does already exist for the iPhone.

E.g. the following apps

LogMeIn Ignition
RemoteTap
Mocha VNC
Jaadu VNC

I can recommend RemoteTap, it's really great.

-t

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2010, 07:00 PM

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Nice try, but too late:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...5/#post3931869

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2010, 07:03 PM

To be fair, there are like 4 different iPad threads with way too much overlap.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 07:07 PM

Don't come looking for fairness in the Lounge

You're here at your own peril.

-t

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2010, 07:14 PM

Who cares?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 07:18 PM

Nobody, we're just having fun

-t

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post

I sorta agree with you on that. And the only thing i multitask is music+app, which i can do on the iPhone anyway.

I think on a device of this calibre the vast majority of the target audience will not have a problem with the multi-tasking aspect. The "vocal minority" wont be happy until they can install Windows7/Ubuntu and do everything their desktop can anyway.

All the other manufactures try to cram as much stuff as they can into their netbooks/tablets and complicate the entire purpose of the device...a full fledged OS being one of them, thus appeal to the vocal minority but alienate the entire target audience. So i think from a design perspective, this device is a great testament to what should be left out, and less is more.

BUt yeah...still debating the added value of this device to my current setup.

Cheers

MrsLarry
Senior User
Jan 30, 2010, 12:46 AM

I think people are still trying to figure it out. To my friends who aren't "mac people" they immediately come to me for an explanation, plus all their gripes about it. (don't you just hate that??)

It's just a "gadget" it's not a personal computer, it's not meant to replace your laptop. It's not "just a big iPod" - it's a gadget people. just like any other doodad out there.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 01:00 AM

yes, but from Apple the expectation is that it's supposed to be more than "just another gadget". Apple's tablet should have had a very clear purpose. We shouldn't have to figure out what to do with it. It was clear with the iPod and iPhone. The purpose isn't as clear with the iPad; they tried with the iBook stuff, but they went off message there with all of the video gaming, iWork and picture viewing applications.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2010, 03:30 AM

I remember seeing that McGraw-Hill is in with the iBookstore. If there are a good amount of college textbooks on there, I would rather carry an iPad to school instead of 4 textbooks. I've used Zinio Reader on my MacBook, but being able to read a full page at a time with this would be a lot better.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2010, 08:33 AM

for the record you can totally IM and check email at the same time. Any good IM client like Beejive will push new messages to the phone. And how do you think you'd switch apps if not clicking the home button and finding the app to go back to? Multitasking is more often a limitation of the user and not the product. Granted would it be great if I could respond to txts and emails directly from the alert dialogues? Sure and perhaps that'll come, actually that'd be a great 4.0 feature.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 30, 2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
And how do you think you'd switch apps if not clicking the home button and finding the app to go back to?
You're implying that because you can't think of a good way to do it, there must not be one.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 30, 2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
And how do you think you'd switch apps if not clicking the home button and finding the app to go back to?
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You're implying that because you can't think of a good way to do it, there must not be one.
If I can think of a number of ways to switch between apps and/or start new apps while one is running, then I think there must be several ways to do it. I can envision simple additions to the control set, icons at top or bottom (which could help tell you what's running already, too), or some gesture not already defined/used (my top choice).

Undefined does not equal impossible.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2010, 11:05 AM

OK, I'll give you the Pandora streaming and using another app at the same time. In fact, I would probably do that if I could. I'm sure there are some other very specific examples where multitasking comes in handy, but I don't think for the AVERAGE user that lack of multitasking is a big deal, especially since apps open so quickly.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 30, 2010, 01:56 PM

Bible study and research software.

YouVersion already makes a great app for the iPhone/iPod that allows me to access a huge number of translations. Add notation software and study materials and I would buy an iPad ASAP, as would about 30% of my fellow church members.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2010, 02:40 PM

Yeah, the Bible on iPad will rock. I hope YouVersion goes with the new mail/notes look where horizontal orientation adds a sidebar.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2010, 02:44 PM

If Apple adds third-party app multitasking, it will work the same as Apple's app multitasking: running in the background. We won't see a new way to switch between apps.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 30, 2010, 06:17 PM

I think an app that was designed to be used while driving, for playing music would sell one to me. A big screen like that is great, touch is fine, but something like a really nice touch screen music browser, with OVERSIZED buttons so it works well while driving. Then I would probably hack up my center console in order to get one to fit. Also, an aftermarket add on that allowed front/back fading, and a set of 5 rca outputs. FL, FR, BL, BR, and sub out.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2010, 06:34 PM

If I tell you now that it won't happen, will you refrain from bitching once it doesn't happen ?

-t
turtle, why is it that they WONT put in flash? I haven't seen a good explanation anywhere.

and what gets me to buy one is a note taking app that'll work with a pen/ stylus.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Bible study and research software.

YouVersion already makes a great app for the iPhone/iPod that allows me to access a huge number of translations. Add notation software and study materials and I would buy an iPad ASAP, as would about 30% of my fellow church members.
A study Bible could be much cheaper...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
turtle, why is it that they WONT put in flash? I haven't seen a good explanation anywhere.
This :Daring Fireball: Apple, Adobe, and Flash

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post

and what gets me to buy one is a note taking app that'll work with a pen/ stylus.
Probably because, since Apple can't figure out how to get it to run efficiently on an 8-core Mac Pro, they obviously can't get it to run on a mobile processor

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Probably because, since Apple can't figure out how to get it to run efficiently on an 8-core Mac Pro, they obviously can't get it to run on a mobile processor
Dude, what does that have to do with Apple ?

Apple doesn't have the source code to Flash. They are not in charge of programming it.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 31, 2010, 10:39 AM

A study Bible could be much cheaper...
And exactly which study BIble offers parallel reading of 30+ translations?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2010, 12:46 PM

Apple doesn't have the source code to Flash. They are not in charge of programming it.

-t
And worse, they have no control over what the app does-it could be insecure, it could goober up user settings or settings in the OS, it could do lots of not-good stuff... Apple has chosen to "take a stand" against Flash being so freaking proprietary. Adobe has a thing about opening Flash being an opening for hackers to dive in and take advantage of it. They're not talking to each other well enough to get things worked out so Apple doesn't feel it worthwhile to implement some sort of Flash app for the iPhone OS. I can't say that I blame them.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2010, 12:57 PM

-t
Change it to Adobe then. Someone is responsible!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
And exactly which study BIble offers parallel reading of 30+ translations?
Well.... I see your point. But you don't really need 30+ translations, only really the Hebrew and Greek.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2010, 02:53 PM

Change it to Adobe then. Someone is responsible!
Adobe clearly isn't interested in making Flash a great experience on Macs. They've been slacking for years.

IMO, they've had their chance, and they wasted it. Time to make Flash a thing of the past.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2010, 02:55 PM

But you don't really need 30+ translations, only really the Hebrew and Greek.
Right

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2010, 03:01 PM

Adobe clearly isn't interested in making Flash a great experience on Macs. They've been slacking for years.

IMO, they've had their chance, and they wasted it. Time to make Flash a thing of the past.

-t
I agree. HTML5 FTW!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2010, 04:30 PM

Well.... I see your point. But you don't really need 30+ translations, only really the Hebrew and Greek.
Uh, he's talking about translations to English, like KJV, NKJV, NAB, NLT, etc.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2010, 04:32 PM

I don't like Flash much either, but Apple is blocking access to the GPU, something which Flash on Windows can do.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Apple is blocking access to the GPU.
Apple provides access to the GPU via OpenGL, CoreImage, CoreVideo, QuickTime X, and OpenCL. Why can't Adobe use these?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
If Apple adds third-party app multitasking, it will work the same as Apple's app multitasking: running in the background. We won't see a new way to switch between apps.
I have an idea: what if Apple changed the double-tap Home functionality? Right now, you can activate the phone app, or iPod, and a few other things with it.

If Apple added "switch to previous app," you could toggle between two apps just like a quick cmd-tab will toggle between two apps. That would be enough for quick app switching for most people, including me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules