Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > TiBook, iPod, and LaCie: Getting Externally Stored Music Onto iPod

TiBook, iPod, and LaCie: Getting Externally Stored Music Onto iPod
PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2004, 02:16 AM

I recently moved my music collection onto my external 120 GB LaCie Firewire drive. I'm using an 867Mhz TiBook, which has precisely one firewire port. My question is in regards to updating my iPod without having to copy my entire music collection from the LaCie onto the computer's internal drive.

When I plug my iPod into the back of the LaCie, nothing happens. The computer does not realize the iPod is plugged in. I've tried this using two different Firewire chords, so that does not seem to be the problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
It's the devil's way now.

PookJP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2004, 11:29 AM

No one?

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 04:47 PM

That's strange. I use exactly the same setup (only I have a 160GB LaCie and an iPod mini) and I have no problems whatsoever. Try changing cables on the HD. Try to use the "non working" port to connect te computer and use the port that is connected to the computer right now to plug in the iPod.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2004, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by PookJP:
When I plug my iPod into the back of the LaCie, nothing happens.
That is bad, wrong, and indicates that something is broken.

If the iPod works when you hook it up directly to the Mac, then that's not it.

Is the LaCie recognized when you hook it up to the Mac using that Firewire port?

Sounds like the LaCie might be the problem.

-s*

PookJP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
That is bad, wrong, and indicates that something is broken.

If the iPod works when you hook it up directly to the Mac, then that's not it.

Is the LaCie recognized when you hook it up to the Mac using that Firewire port?

Sounds like the LaCie might be the problem.

-s*

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll try your suggestions and report back when I get home.

maudgonne11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2004, 10:15 PM

Wondering how/if your problem was solved?

I keep all my music on a LaCie external HD and have been connecting my ipod (classic & mini) through the HD to iTunes (via Firewire). Recently, connecting the iPod through LaCie has caused iTunes to crash and my iBook to freeze. The iPod boots up as though it recognizes the conenction but will not show up as mounted on my computer. Firewire cord is fine when it's just the HD connected to the laptop; ipod firewire is fine when it's connected directly to the computer. Apple tech help suggested connecting the ipod directly to the ibook with a USB (only one firewire port on my iBook) but it's so slow. Any suggestions on repairing the ipod-LaCie-iBook firewire connection?

rastatero
Jul 26, 2004, 06:22 PM

I plan on doing a very similiar setup with my ibook, ipod, and an external drive.

If I purchase a USB2 harddrive enclosure would the transfer rate be too slow if I connected the external HD to the ibook via USB2 and the iPod to the ibook via firewire and transfer between the HD and iPod with the iBook as an intermediate.

Exactly how are you guys using your LaCie drives to transfer music onto your iPods? Is the iPod being directly joined to the LaCie?

-- Tony

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2004, 01:20 AM

I don't have a Lacie, but I do have an external.
I manually manage all of the music on my iPods (3, my new Mini, my 3G 40 and my old 2G 10GB model that my g/f uses). I have about 23GB of music and that would eat too much space on my 60GB iBook drive.
Basically, I have my entire drive cloned onto the external (using CCC) with all of the music I own in the iTunes Music folder.
On the regular hard drive, I only keep music and audiobooks I'm listening to as well as recent iTMS purchases.
Since the Mini doesn't hold too many songs anyway, when I want to rotate some of the songs on it, I'll simply open the external and drag the folders containing the music I want into iTunes and then into the Mini.
It may not sound that elegant in type but it's a pretty painless method that works for me.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules