Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > web cam for G3 iBook 700

web cam for G3 iBook 700
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2007, 05:08 PM

Hi

I'm trying to get a web cam to workon my dad's 700MHz iBook G3. We've tried a cheap and cheerful cam that was lying around, which waqs no good so we found a Microsoft cam that is Vista certified (which "should" make it uvc and thus OSX friendly, but the colours are shot away (the are like htis on my wifes G4 Powerbook too.

Got an old version of skype fired up on the iBook, and managed to get the wonky MS cam to show up using ichat but not skype.

Is it going to be a problem running video on a Mac as old as this and does anyone have a cam they can recommend?

ta

Andrew

Cold Warrior
Dec 26, 2007, 05:29 PM

I bought a $25 logitech quickcam express from wal-mart the other day, and it works great with the macam app and the .component (placed inside /Library/Quicktime to enable other applications to use the camera. It worked with my version of Skype (2.7.x beta).

Anyway, give it a shot with your web cam, and if it doesn't work, consider the logitech as a cheap alternative.

macam 0.9.1 - MacUpdate

Caveats: you didn't mention what version of OS X you're running. I also don't know if that old machine can handle video chat.

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2007, 04:20 AM

Hiya

Thanks. Got Maccam and it works but all the colours are inverted. I need a newer version of skype to handle the video, which needs more memory than installedso I'm going ot have to work my way up the chain on this one addressing each problem as I go. Deep breath...

iMan G5
Dec 27, 2007, 10:43 AM

The Xbox 360 Camera works out of the box people have said.

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by iMan G5 View Post
The Xbox 360 Camera works out of the box people have said.
The Xbox camera requires usb 2.0.

Forum Links
Forum Rules