Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iChat crashes: need to run in 32-bit mode?

iChat crashes: need to run in 32-bit mode?
ibook_steve
Mar 15, 2010, 02:23 AM

My friend and I finally got video chat working (he got a new iMac), so we tried playing around with the video effects. He had no problem, but whenever I tried to open the video effects in iChat, the program would freeze. I tried reinstalling iChat from the Snow Leopard disk to no avail.

Then I found something about running iChat in 32-bit mode by changing the setting in the Get Info window. This seems to have fixed the problem! This is a little disturbing that there was no indication that this was necessary and only through Googling was I able to figure it out. Any ideas why I was crashing before and why forcing it to run in 32-bit fixes it on my older MBP?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2010, 10:50 AM

You don't happen to have anything like iUSBCam installed? That could mess things up. ( Kind of a long shot, but... )

Do you get any error messages in the Console app when trying to run it in 64-bit?

ibook_steve  (op)
Mar 18, 2010, 11:56 AM

No, nothing special installed. And I can't seem to find the console messages from a few days ago. No big deal.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2010, 06:00 PM

I'm not sure. OS X would refuse to load any non-64 bit extensions if you were running it in 64 bit mode. Perhaps the binary is corrupt? Maybe your hard drive is showing it's first signs of failure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules