Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > TV shows on iMac

TV shows on iMac
TubaMuffins
Senior User
Jan 1, 2006, 08:06 PM

This is more of a rant unless someone has a solution. I just bought a 17-inch imac with frontrow and i began ripping my TV DVDs hoping I could watch them using front row, well I can but they aren't organized under the TV shows section, they are under Movies. Bummer.
( Last edited by TubaMuffins; Jan 1, 2006 at 08:19 PM. )

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2006, 08:13 PM

i know. your given the option of turning them into music videos but not tv shows. its anoying

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2006, 11:05 PM

Hey...
Here's what you gotta do.
Open iTunes and right click on the video file you want to change.

Click on GET INFO-->Choose the OPTIONS Tab-->VIDEO KIND: Choose the type of video it is, either a Music Video or Movie.

That is a better way to organize your videos. Whenever you open front row it will be arranged in the right groups.

Hope it helped....

TubaMuffins  (op)
Senior User
Mar 22, 2006, 06:43 PM

found it in case anyone else was interested. get a program called Lostify, does exactly what you need. Cheers

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by TubaMuffins
found it in case anyone else was interested. get a program called Lostify, does exactly what you need. Cheers
Thanks for the tip! I was wondering how to do this.

applesnapple
Mar 24, 2006, 08:14 PM

what program would you suggest for ripping my dvds onto my imac's harddrive? and about how much space does an average dvd movie take on the harddrive if it is at a decent quality(enough to stream to a tv, but not necessarily perfect)

TubaMuffins  (op)
Senior User
Mar 24, 2006, 11:45 PM

MacTheRipper is a great program, a DVD is anywhere up to 8.5GB for the raw video. If you want it in quicktime format, try Handbrake where a full lenght movie comes in at just under a gig. I feel obliged to also say that one should only do this if they own the DVDs though.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2006, 01:22 AM

owning the dvds doesnt make the process any less illegal, with that said handbrake is the best option to leave copys on your hard drive for later viewing. although mactheripper has the best quality, it takes up way too much space. with handbrake you could control the quality, format, bitrate...almost anything so that you could salvage hd space at the slight sacrifice of quality (hardly noticeable if done right).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

madflava54
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2006, 03:04 PM

I found ffmpegx really usefull, (after ripping with yade or mactheripper) because it can pretty much change anything to anything. avi, vob, mpeg, mov etc, even got presets for my psp. This software is also free... which is always good

applesnapple
Mar 30, 2006, 11:49 PM

i have a windows xp media center pc and i was wondering if there would be any way to watch those recorded tv shows on the imac, preferrably through front row. I think the files are recorded in like dvr-ms, which is kinda weird.

Forum Links
Forum Rules