Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Should I buy a T68i?

Should I buy a T68i?
qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2003, 10:59 AM

I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm just wondering should I buy a t68i or not. I know they work well with OS X and there are a few programs out there which can use the features of them, so that's a good thing. On the other hand, they've been out quite a while now and I wouldn't want to buy something which is just about to be replaced...does anyone own them, and if so, what are their good points? what are their bad points? I heard the UI is kinda sluggish - is it that bad? Are they generally a good reliable phone?

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 18, 2003, 11:39 AM

You either love or hate the t68i. I think it's a generally OK phone, but it's lacking some modern features (polyphonic rings, 4000+ colors, etc.) There are also quality control and reception issues that SE can't seem to fix. The T610, a much better phone, is replacing the t68i and will be out sometime this summer. They're already available in Europe.

Take a look at the Nokia 3650 -- it's an excellent phone, albeit somewhat larger than the t68i.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
....They're already available in Europe...
They are? In what countries?
we don't have time to stop for gas

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2003, 11:48 AM

Unfortunately the T610 is fugly.

Sure the 68 only has a 256 colour display, but it has no problems with reception. None.

Polyphonic rings is a missing feature if you like that sort of stuff, but frankly the t68i is small, very light and has an amazing battery life. It has a plethora of neat features and you can use it to run applescripts in your Mac.

I recommend it. It is the best SonyEricsson out there.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
They are? In what countries?
Scando.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
May 18, 2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:

Sure the 68 only has a 256 colour display, but it has no problems with reception. None.
Problems with reception up the wazoo here... so I returned it and currently have the Samsung N400 until I get the Sanyo 8100 this week.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2003, 12:05 PM

No problems of any sort for me with the t68i.

Do phonecalls sound or look that much better at 4000 colours instead of 256?

Polyphonic rings are the most annoying thing on earth.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 02:14 AM

when your phone rings it's annoying, mine is on vibrate all the time unless i am asleep then it is set to loud as possible so it will wake me up if anyone calls....

but then again i have an old nokia (3360 i think) I have to wait till march to get a new one, so my contract expires.... anyways.... off to bed, loved the matrix, just dumped my g-friend. life is ****....

P.D.

goodnight...

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2003, 02:27 AM

Polyphonic rings are the most annoying thing on earth. [/B]
What are polyphonic rings?

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by libraryguy:
What are polyphonic rings?

Ringtones that sound like bad MIDI. Awful.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
also very very very quiet.
we don't have time to stop for gas

kovacs
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 04:27 AM

I have a t68i but I think it's a little bit late to buy one now, it's no longer the best of the best I would go for the t610...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2003, 04:30 AM

Go for the T68i. Bluetooth with iSync and Salling Clicker is so fecking amazing that you�ll love yourself for it.

You can always get a better phone when it comes, but right now T68i is the ultimate mac-phone.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

RevEvs
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 05:54 AM

The T68/68i is over a year old now, id suggest going for a T610. Then again T68's are gonnabe dirt cheap/free on contract now...

My contract ends in 2 or 3 days... T610 here i come

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Cipher13
May 19, 2003, 06:43 AM

qnxde, how much were you looking to pay for the T68i? I'm in the market for something similar, and you know what the Aussie prices are like...

qnxde  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2003, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
qnxde, how much were you looking to pay for the T68i? I'm in the market for something similar, and you know what the Aussie prices are like...
Umm, $679 to buy it outright according to this optus catalogue. I'd probably go on either a $44 a month or $55 a month plan, in which case the upfront charge for the phone would be $179, or $229, respectively. That's for a 24 month contract too...

I'm currently with orange, and really, they're just not competetive.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Silverlex02
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2003, 08:17 AM

If you don't mind a phone that is a little on the big side get the Nokia 3650. I bought one about 2 weeks ago and so far It works great.

Cipher13
May 19, 2003, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by qnxde:
Umm, $679 to buy it outright according to this optus catalogue. I'd probably go on either a $44 a month or $55 a month plan, in which case the upfront charge for the phone would be $179, or $229, respectively. That's for a 24 month contract too...

For the sake of comparison, www.mobilephones.com.au has it for about $570, if I recall correctly.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2003, 08:29 AM

Polyphonic ringtones CAN be annoying, but you can find good ones or also use .WAV files and convert them. MUCH better than single-tone MIDI in the T68i. Bleh.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2003, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by qnxde:

Hi

Which Optus catalogue are you looking at? I couldn't see it in their on-line one ?

Thanks - Michael

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2003, 12:10 PM

The T68i is a nice phone. It works great with the Mac, and it gets fair reception (I had an old Ericcsson T18z that got terrific reception), and the UI is well organized and easy to use. Lots of plans are offering them super-cheap, but as my provider doesn't offer the T68i, I had to get the 'unlocked' version for about $280 USD.

I would hope for the sake of innovation that something new and better will be out soon, but you can't go wrong. I also love the size and weight.

Ryan1524
Senior User
May 19, 2003, 12:43 PM

there have been many many cases of T68is having terrible reception and other QC problems. i suggest you get a T610 instead, it's the replacement for T68i and is much improved with more features all the other bugs in T68i is supposedly worked out in it.

as for 3650, it's a greta phone if you don't mind carrying a brick with you. personally i think it's not a pocket phone. it's too big for the regular pocket.

for phone related questions check: Here, Here < they're the best place to get information about cellphones, with reviews, a massive discussion forums and a very active Buy/Sell/Trade section. you can also check the many many reviews for T68i and other phones there.

and this is a vert reliable web store for these sort of gadgets:
Expansys US
Expansys Europe, Asia, and the rest of the world.

have fun.
Ryan

Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
also very very very quiet.
Yes very quite but they play a song that sounds more diverse then regular rings which is exactly what one needs on a phone.

Personally I can't stand my t68i because it doesn't support DTS 5.1 audio. Bleh.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
there have been many many cases of T68is having terrible reception and other QC problems. i suggest you get a T610 instead, it's the replacement for T68i and is much improved with more features all the other bugs in T68i is supposedly worked out in it.
Unfortunately the T610 is so ugly I wouldn't want to be caught in a 10 m radius of one.

And for heavens sakes, stop FUDing about the reception. It is pefectly fine!

starman
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Yes very quite but they play a song that sounds more diverse then regular rings which is exactly what one needs on a phone.

Personally I can't stand my t68i because it doesn't support DTS 5.1 audio. Bleh.
Such a hypocrite:

XBox. Halo, 8 hours and your done with the system. oooh, but it has 5.1 sound and a harddrive
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...highlight=xbox

Who owns an XBox now?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
as for 3650, it's a greta phone if you don't mind carrying a brick with you. personally i think it's not a pocket phone. it's too big for the regular pocket.
I finally got to play with a 3650 the other day and I was surprised by how SMALL it was! People talk about the thing as if it were the size of a computer keyboard!

It's a big longer and a tiny bit wider than a T68i, but it's about as light and the screen is really nice!

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2003, 02:13 PM

if you have a big hand, you are not going to like T68i, i have one and it always slip out of my hand.

if you really into this bluetooth thing, maybe you can go for the p800, but it is very expensive.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Such a hypocrite:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...highlight=xbox

Who owns an XBox now?

Mike
Another joke you seem to have fallen for.

I don't think anyone here gets your relation to a joke about a phone needing 5.1 DTS sound and the Xbox having it and a hard drive but if you feel better thinking you are dising me go right ahead

And the best part is you call me a hypocrite

"Barwaraaawww"

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 05:22 PM

No! The T68i is old by now. Get a T610 or T616 in the USA.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Just because something is old doesn't mean it's not worth getting. I only just got rid of my nokia 3330 (well it got nicked) I had no intention of upgrading, it did everything I needed it to do: WAP, SMS, and even phone calls!

I managed to get a t68i on upgrade for �30. Bargain, for me, and now it's doing groovy stuff with my mac, which I don't need it to do, but it's certainly nice.

Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
You think that there might be one hell of a price difference?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2003, 01:38 AM

Does the T68i do AIM?

How Mac friendly is the Nokia 3650? It looks like a good phone with lots of cool features but I hate the buttons I wish they were in standard order.

I can get either phone on Amazon for free w/ a T-Mobile plan.

Also, how long would I have to wait for the T160? Is it worth the wait? Why? Do you think Amazon will be giving away that phone as well?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2003, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Does the T68i do AIM?
--snip--

Amazon will be giving away that phone as well?
1. No, it doesn't. It's a phone with good PIM and connectivity capabilities but it was never designed for web services. Use your PB for that, you will be much better off. I recently sold my Palm because since I've owned the t68 I didn't use it anymore.

2. Highly unlikely. New phones are always sold at a premium for a couple of months.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 04:06 AM

1. I messed with a t68i a while back, nice phone.... just wasn't of my taste.. esp because it was a flat phone. Sorry.

2. The t610 is uber sexy and that awesome screen almost counters my hate of flat phones... but no. I wish sony made a flip GSM :sigh:

3. I seriously have to admit, the T68i is becoming too popular on this forum, with it's cult of users lol. *shrug* I'll let them enjoy their phones

I have a motorola t720i. No bt but I never planned on buying a phone for syncage. I use my phone for exactly what I bought it for, emergencies, and I don't need 38467238942394786237846234234 numbers programmed into it... and even if I DID need one of those 2347238947234234 phone numbers I could look it up in the phone's phonebook XD

Phones aren't for calling friends they're for serious things, except at the end of the month, then I bust out my headset and do a few long distance calls.... gotta use up all my minutes

Really though, much like mac vs pc, cellphones are a thing that's very controversial, you must go and try them out for yourself, even if you plan to buy one online. Following what several people say is one of the worst things to do. HOWEVER it is nice to have a little opinion (you can get an idea of what the phone's bugs are ahead of time).

Apparently, something you may want to keep in mind is the T68i is known to lag, KNOWN, I haven't tested that, but yeah.

Oh, and if you plan to get a phone that doesn't have BT or direct syncing you can still upload GIF images to a site and download them via the phone's web browser.. one site being here:

http://www.beltonmo.net/modules.php?name=phoneup <--- heads up starman I'm gonna PM you that
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2003, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Usually, they *are* bad MIDI.

At least my Siemens S55 eats standard .mid files.

"Polyphonic" just means more than one note at a time, so you have drums, bass, accompaniment, and the melody at the same time, all produced by a tinny-sounding General MIDI synthesizer built into the phone (sounds much like the QuickTime MIDI synth).

-s*

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 06:27 AM

Polyphonic sounds really suck, they are useless and sometimes you don't notice that it's your phone who is making the sounds because it sounds (semi-)natural.

sandsl
Senior User
Jun 6, 2003, 07:13 AM

I've got a T68i and I'm very happy with it and best off it works really well with Mac OS X.

However, If I was upgrading my phone now I'd go for the T610 - very nice phone and lovely UI. (Although I hear they've been recalled cus' of a problem?)
Luke

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2003, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by sandsl:
IT610 - very nice phone and lovely UI.
Can you tell me why the phone uses "windows"? They are modal dialogs, and the background window doesn't change, so what's the point of seeing a few pixels of the background? Could as well use them und have the dialogs fullscreen.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2003, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Polyphonic sounds really suck, they are useless and sometimes you don't notice that it's your phone who is making the sounds because it sounds (semi-)natural.
That's odd.

The whole point of phones eating standard MIDI files is to personalize your phone.

I don't understand your problem at all.

The moment I hear a General MIDI version of the opening bars of "Roxanne", I *know* it's my phone ringing. (I have it set to switch to voicemail before the ultra lame-ass saxophone starts with the vocal part.)

And there are literally THOUSANDS of General MIDI files on the net.

Most of them are bad enough to be really funny, and the option of using any of a number of programs that can generate .mid files to create your own...well...

As I said, I don't understand your problem.

-s*

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 01:44 PM

I'm tempted, oh so tempted!

It's not out on my network yet... but that might be worth switching networks for. Or I could pay off the year's contract (about �150) and keep the phone, using it on my existing contract.

I told myself I'd wait for 3G, and the 3G phones are a bit sucky at the moment. But that price... hold me back someone!

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules