Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Quick panther notes.

Quick panther notes.
qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 08:31 AM

� Classic is much improved. Window buffering is enabled (if you remember the feature from moki's hack in 10.1), so now you don't get random bits of white garbage left all over the screen. Seems to start a bit quicker too.

� Quicktime is 6.4d37, I can't seem to notice much difference except the player has had an interface overhaul to match iTunes 4, et al.

� The new finder is excellent. Fast, responsive, I can't say enough good about it. It seems to choke when dealing with more than about 150 files at a time tho, but that should be fixed up by release.

� Application launch time seems improved

� Safari v85 under panther has smooth scrolling implemented

� I can't seem to find the encrypt home directories option anywhere, it probably hasnt' been implemented yet

� Toast doesn't launch

� Expos� and fast user switching are everything you always imagined + more

� The whole OS just seems DAMN fast, it's VERY snappy and feels like the 10.0 to 10.1 progression to me. Also, things like sheets have been sped up 2x, so you're not waiting for them to appear and disappear.

� Menus are drawn even faster than before

� The terminal fonts look slightly different, and the terminal is MUCH faster than before (like GLTerm)

� They have implemented a windows/liteswitch style apple-tab switcher instead of just highlighting the app in the dock

And here's the best part:

you may all say it feels so much faster because it's a clean OS install, blah blah. Not the case. I installed this on my powerbook's 60GB hard drive with 4gb free (fragmented to hell and back), and I performed an upgrade install. I'm using all my preferences and my home dir from 10.2. And it's still blazingly fast in comparison.

I could go on for hours, but I'll stop now as someone else has probably written almost the exact same thing.

Later

qnxde.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

qnxde  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 08:32 AM

Oh, something else just came to mind - when you double click disk images, they no longer open disc copy - they just mount pretty much instantly with a minimum of fuss.

And the build is 7A179.

qnxde  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 08:34 AM

Oh, sorry - another one

I didn't think it was possible, but my powerbook now wakes even faster than before. Like < 1 second almost.

Forum Links
Forum Rules