Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > HD upgrade?

HD upgrade?
EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2004, 01:12 PM

I bought a 12" iBook as a sort of impulse buy lasy Friday. I love the machine to death (I am a long time PC user/programmer) but I can see the day when I'll need a larger hard drive.

What is a good upgrade for the iBook? I am thinking 60GB or 80GB would be good. Something with a large cache and either 5400rpm or 7200rpm, but I don't want to sacrifice battery life.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2004, 01:26 PM

I'd get the 80 gig 5400 RPM drive. It's a substantial upgrade over the stock 4200 RPM drives in iBooks and PowerBooks, and makes a noticeable difference in how the computer runs.

Check out barefeats.com to see a comparison between the 5400 drive and a 7200 drive (the performance difference is negligible). But both of those blow away the stock 4200 drives.

There are also 100 gig drives starting to hit the market so you might want to wait for that.

�-�-�-�

EmmEff  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2004, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the link, that's very helpful. Any recommendations on a source? Who has these drives at a good price?

Forum Links
Forum Rules