Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > GarageBand sucks?

GarageBand sucks?
jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2004, 02:00 PM

Apparently I have a problem.

Today, I was recording live music for my church with my iBook. I'm using the M-Audio Transit USB to record and everything was recording fine. Then, at 1 hour 11 minutes into the recording, Garageband stopped recording and when I went to play the recorded stuff, it was all gone. The track cursor was also red, so maybe that meant something. The track onto which I was recording was a basic track, with no effects. When I exported the file to iTunes, it was a 760mb AIFF and had no music whatsoever. But, while recording, there were waves and spikes on the track to represent the sound, and whenit stopped all that disappeared. Beforehand I recorded a short 1 minute test and that played back ok. So I think the problem is GarageBand's inability to record for a long time, which sucks. If that's the case, can someone point me to some (cheap) software that can record for ~2 hours continuously?

specs:
12" iBook g4 1.2
1.25gb RAM
30gb hdd (15 free)
Power cable plugged in
Transit USB plugged in

thnx

tritonus
Senior User
Jan 21, 2005, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by jamil5454:
Apparently I have a problem.

Today, I was recording live music for my church with my iBook. I'm using the M-Audio Transit USB to record and everything was recording fine. Then, at 1 hour 11 minutes into the recording, Garageband stopped recording and when I went to play the recorded stuff, it was all gone. The track cursor was also red, so maybe that meant something. The track onto which I was recording was a basic track, with no effects. When I exported the file to iTunes, it was a 760mb AIFF and had no music whatsoever. But, while recording, there were waves and spikes on the track to represent the sound, and whenit stopped all that disappeared. Beforehand I recorded a short 1 minute test and that played back ok. So I think the problem is GarageBand's inability to record for a long time, which sucks. If that's the case, can someone point me to some (cheap) software that can record for ~2 hours continuously?thnx
I had the same problem once. Solutions:

- set GarageBand to 60 bpm -> 2 x 760 MB AIFF is then possible (760 at 120 bpm)
- Logic Express 7 ist cheap with EDU license
- Audacity is freeware

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15063

Enjoy!
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules