Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So you think US is #1? Read and weep.

So you think US is #1? Read and weep. (Page 2)
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2005, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
thanks to Apple putting only USB on the original, hugely popular iMac with no high-speed option like FireWire.
FireWire didn't exist when the iMac was introduced.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2005, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
what is that about? I am talking about the entire computer industry, not just apple. usb was not designed by apple and it was not adopted because apple used it early in its adoption. and the original imac has no need for a high speed option(leastways not faster than ethernet).
USB wasn't invented by Apple, but they are the ones that made it popular. USB didn't really catch on until Apple introduced the iMac. Remember that the iMac, with the five-color machines, was the single best selling desktop machine for a while. It brought clout to technologies like USB. If they had included FireWire as well, perhaps it would be as popular as USB is now, and perhaps the USB consortium wouldn't have seen the need to make USB 2.0 compete with it.

As for the original iMac not having any need for a high speed option, are you insane? The original iMac had no CD/RW drive. Your only option if you wanted to burn CDs was to add a USB 1.1 CD/RW drive. Which were usually rated at 8x, but if you burned at that speed, you'd get a coaster every time (remember, this was before burn-proof drives), so you had to know to turn the thing down to 1x or 2x, 4x at the most. If you didn't, the drive would simply appear to be useless. And given how slow 1-4x burning is, it generally was.

You try explaining to a non-technical user why they can't burn CDs without buying a new computer. Not fun. I wonder how many of the legions of PC users who switched to the original iMac switched back to Wintel with their next purchase because of this.

And even with that said, how were you supposed to back up your stuff? External hard drives were out of the question, so were CD/RW drives... what were people supposed to use, those crappy Zip drives? USB floppies?!

My parents are stuck with one of those old iMacs (actually, it's the POS low-end slot-loader from 2000 that still didn't have FireWire or a CD/RW drive). They basically keep asking me when I'm going to go and buy a new machine, since I told them I'd give them my old one as soon as I do.

Originally posted by Lateralus:
FireWire didn't exist when the iMac was introduced.
The FireWire standard was ratified in 1995.

http://www.firewire-1394.com/what-is-firewire-800.htm

The iMac was what, 1998? And I definitely remember people talking about FireWire at the time the iMac was introduced.

With that said, even if we take your statement as a given, by the time the blue G3 was introduced, FireWire definitely existed, and that was the same time they introed the five-color iMacs, the ones that became insanely popular, without FireWire. A colossal mistake, IMO, since it made those machines basically useless once the era of the CD/RW drive came around.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Mar 21, 2005 at 03:27 AM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

undotwa
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2005, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by analogika:
According to the CIA factbook, the US has a population of 293 million (estimated July 2004).

The EU has roughly 300 million.

That's a difference of about 2%. Your "amazement" is not as appropriate as you think.
Actually the EU has a population of around 450 million.
In vino veritas.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2005, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:
Actually the EU has a population of around 450 million.
It recently added 10 new member nations.

EU population was nowhere *near* 450 million in the mid-90s, when "Europe surpassed the United States in the mid-1990s as the largest producer of scientific literature" (The European Dream, p.70).

It had 375 million as of only last year, before the 10 new members joined.

I was wrong though - I mistook the population of the Euro-zone (which is about 300 million) with the EU population.

:hangs head in shame:

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Mar 21, 2005, 08:05 AM

... "Europe surpassed the United States in the mid-1990s as the largest producer of scientific literature" ...
Does that mean Europeans also own a larger number of printing presses than those damn 'Muricans?

For those a bit slow on the uptake - Eurotrash as well as Burgerboys (and certainly not talking to you personally, organ-man ) - no, I don't give a flying fsck as to who might emerge victoriously from this perpetual jackfest. As evidenced by my post above, I do however seem to care a whole lot whether or not Europeans own more printing than those pesky Americans. Or wait, do I? Aaah, what the hell ... **hitssubmitbutton**

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2005, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
Does that mean Europeans also own a larger number of printing presses than those damn 'Muricans?
Since we make those printing presses (MAN Roland, Augsburg), I would say YES!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2005, 08:45 AM

For those a bit slow on the uptake - Eurotrash as well as Burgerboys (and certainly not talking to you personally, organ-man ) - no, I don't give a flying fsck as to who might emerge victoriously from this perpetual jackfest.
Not saying I do - I merely intended to correct what I thought was misinformation.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Mar 21, 2005, 08:59 AM

Not saying I do - I merely intended to correct what I thought was misinformation.

As mentioned in my previous blurb, I wasn't addressing you directly - only making sure that none of the "free-floating radicals" begin frothing at the mouth. I was only trying to watch out for the poor fellas and making sure that their permanently elevated blood pressure stays within an acceptable range - before any arteries start to pop (imagine that mess, yu-uck).

Hey! What the heck happened to your sig? Put it back, or within a week's time I'll forget about the organ.

And - badidea, aren't we forgetting someone on that list? Like - for example, Heidelberger Druckmaschinen? After all, they are the biggest bully on that particular block.</lokalpartiotismus>

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2005, 09:20 AM

Hey! What the heck happened to your sig? Put it back, or within a week's time I'll forget about the organ.
Oh, so it's gone now, eh.

I kept it smaller and less obtrusive (not to mention less KB) than it could be according to current guidelines: just an old-guideline tiny image and three lines of text.

Apparently, the powers that be prefer larger images to text.

Whatever; I just noticed I'm blocked from accessing my user profile.

Ah well, here's a simulated sig for you:

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2005, 09:27 AM

And - badidea, aren't we forgetting someone on that list?
NO!!! </lokalpatriotismus>

MAN Roland Druckmaschinen

Weltweit f�hrender Systemanbieter f�r Ausr�stung, Projektierung, Bau und Inbetriebnahme von Druckereien im Bogen- und im Rollenoffsetbereich von der Vorstufe �ber die Drucktechnik bis zur Weiterverarbeitung

Weltmarktf�hrer bei Rollenoffsetmaschinen mit einer breiten Angebotspalette f�r den Zeitungsdruck aller Auflagenbereiche und f�r den Illustrationsdruck vom einfarbigen B�cherdruck bis hin zu h�chsten Farb- und Qualit�tsanforderungen bei Magazinen

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Mar 21, 2005, 09:27 AM

...Ah well, here's a simulated sig for you ...
Much better, thank you.

As far as accessing your user profile is concerned - I would have blocked you, too. A picture of an organ (it's probably you own organ, too - isn't it?), come on now. Looks almost like you had a wardrobe, no ... an organ malfunction. If that isn't obscene, I don't know what would be. This is a family-oriented forum after all.

So yeah, it seems just punishment has (finally) been dished out.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Mar 21, 2005, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
NO!!! </lokalpatriotismus>
LOL - you wish. The magic words are "Druckereien im Bogen- und im Rollenoffsetbereich", not "printing presses".

And now to the real bully ...
  • linkie

... With a global market share for sheetfed offset printing machines of more than 40 percent, Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG (Heidelberg) is the world�s leading solution provider for the print media industry. ...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2005, 10:12 AM

As far as accessing your user profile is concerned - I would have blocked you, too. A picture of an organ (it's probably you own organ, too - isn't it?), come on now. Looks almost like you had a wardrobe, no ... an organ malfunction. If that isn't obscene, I don't know what would be. This is a family-oriented forum after all.

So yeah, it seems just punishment has (finally) been dished out.

heh. I guess.

And yes, that is my Hammond B-3, built in 1968.

I've recently acquired a somewhat decrepit 1960 Hammond A-100, as well, which I've managed to get well screaming over the past few weeks. Still needs a little work on one or two intermittent keys (basically just "play, play, play"), but otherwise she's in great shape internally (beat to hell on the outside...) Holy Shit, what an agressive "little" beast. A real rock-whore. We are gonna have so much fun...

Kilbey
Baninated
Mar 21, 2005, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
A personal attack/derailment in the Lounge? How original!

He has been following me around quite a bit lately. He's a fanboy if there ever was one. He'll get banned soon. Looks like he's losing his mind again.

Originally posted by Dimethyltrypt:
It's IEEE 1394.

</pedant>
The lower case "i" was a short sighted attempt at humor as Apple developed Firewire and Sony calls it iLink. But then I guess it was lost on you in your zealous attempt to try to find fault with everything I say whilst following me around all of the threads and disagreeing with virtually everything I say. You are going crazy like your mom and sister.

Education and hard work are the key /subliminal]

Kilbey
Baninated
Mar 21, 2005, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Dimethyltrypt:
but wait you're a proletarian gm fanboy!
Yup. I work for GM. It's no surprise. I even advertise for them in my sig.

Education and hard work are the key /subliminal]

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2005, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
He has been following me around quite a bit lately. He's a fanboy if there ever was one. He'll get banned soon. Looks like he's losing his mind again.
Actually, I wrote that in the hopes that it would prevent an eventual rebuttal from you, which will no doubt cause another rebuttal from Ambush, etc. and fade to derailment and lockination.

Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work that well.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Mar 21, 2005, 12:11 PM

Actually, I wrote that in the hopes that it would prevent ...
Lookie what we have here - an idealist if there ever was one. I like that.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2005, 12:24 PM

Lookie what we have here - an idealist if there ever was one. I like that.

I can dream, can't I?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Mar 21, 2005, 12:38 PM

I can dream, can't I?
Anything else would make you an unsufferable bore.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2005, 12:41 PM

Anything else would make you an unsufferable bore.

Well, that certainly wouldn't do. I much prefer being the insufferable bore that I am now

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Mar 21, 2005, 12:53 PM

Well, that certainly wouldn't do. I much prefer being the insufferable bore that I am now
bean counter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules