Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > G5 9600XT in QS: Success!

G5 9600XT in QS: Success!
Link
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 09:52 PM

So today I finally got the card, and so far it's working great! Took me a few tries to get it right (accidentally did the pins 3 and 11 from the front and not the back) -- but it's working now

So those who were wondering, it works

Edits: Here's a pic of the card
( Last edited by Link; Apr 13, 2005 at 07:20 PM. )
Aloha

powertrippin
Baninated
Apr 12, 2005, 10:01 PM

Awesome man. It has an ADC connector right? I think I'm going to copy you. Then overclock the **** out of it and get one of these:

http://www.xoxide.com/vgasilencer1.html

My buddy has one of these coolers, and they're quieter than stock, yet he was able to OC the **** out of it.

Link  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 10:15 PM

There ISN'T a cooler on the 9600xt by default Though if you're OCing, it'd be a good idea! Anyway, it does have ADC output, but I'm not brave enough (yet) to get a soldering iron and try risking my cinema display with it

OTOH, I picked up a DVI to ADC adaptor.. wasn't too painful and now I can do fun things with my monitor muwahhahaa
Aloha

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 12, 2005, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by powertrippin:
Awesome man. It has an ADC connector right? I think I'm going to copy you. Then overclock the **** out of it and get one of these:

http://www.xoxide.com/vgasilencer1.html

My buddy has one of these coolers, and they're quieter than stock, yet he was able to OC the **** out of it.
Don't bother.

Had a 9600 that I tape modded myself and OC'd well past XT speeds. The passive cooling was sufficient.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Amacapart
Baninated
Apr 12, 2005, 11:44 PM

If you are able with a soldering iron, the holes for the pins to power a fan are still on PCB. Solder in the pins and bridge the jumper and the card can have any standard VGA fan clipped on in seconds.

ADC mod isn't as scary as you think.

Only real trick is that G5 ADC has an additional pin or two you have to cross over. They should be insulated from the 28V current. Polarity is same as original ADC.

My 17" worked fine except you had to power on from CPU, the monitor button woudn't do it anymore. USB & "Monitor Preferences" button worked fine though.

Great card, congratulations !!!

Link  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 12:15 AM

I'm guessing that's because the functionality is within those 2 pins that are taped off.. without them taped, the machine doesn't start at all (which made it damn obvious heheh)..

Ironically, with the ADC adaptor I can't power on from the monitor either.. darn *shrug* Oh well, one NICE thing is the radeon 9600 drives my 22" nicely, the 4mx would throw all sorts of artifacts on the screen :|

You must really like soldering, amacapart, wouldn't the lazy modder like me just shove a molex adaptor (or connector) onto that fan and not worry about such things?
Aloha

powertrippin
Baninated
Apr 13, 2005, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by Link:
You must really like soldering, amacapart, wouldn't the lazy modder like me just shove a molex adaptor (or connector) onto that fan and not worry about such things?
More wiring. Blech. I like the simplified look of my current wiring scheme, even though I never see inside it.

- Rob

Link  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 01:55 AM

a nice long molex cable can be had that runs under the HD bay and up along the motherboard tray.. *shrug* it'd be just as wiring, I think..

If you don't want ANY more wiring, don't add a fan

The ADC adaptor feels almost as warm as my g4's heatsink.. lol..
Aloha

lenox
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 01:38 PM

I see the 9600 pros from the G5s for sale all over the place...is there any place to get the 9600 xt's though?

Thanks!

powertrippin
Baninated
May 2, 2005, 01:55 PM

Ebay. I just paid $126 for one. They're hard to find.

lenox
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by powertrippin
Ebay. I just paid $126 for one. They're hard to find.
Well, that's depressing...but the price is right!

powertrippin
Baninated
May 2, 2005, 04:58 PM

Just keep looking. They'll keep popping up. I won mine by a dollar.

powertrippin
Baninated
May 3, 2005, 10:31 AM

WOohoo! Mine came today! I'll try to install it tonight without my wife noticing.

powertrippin
Baninated
May 4, 2005, 02:57 PM

K, I got mine installed. WOW. Even the O/S seems a tad snappier, and I really didn't expect that.... expose is a bit smoother, and game performance is definitely up. UT runs about 15fps faster at 1680X1050, and halo looks great with all the shaders. VERY happy with this card. Just installed ram heatsinks, and I'll be O/Cing it a little tonight.

powertrippin
Baninated
May 4, 2005, 02:58 PM

Question: I just noticed something... the ATi displays utility... that doesn't list the 9600... does that mean it isn't supported? If so, that would kinda suck.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 03:33 PM

Why don't you install it and see for yourself?

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

powertrippin
Baninated
May 4, 2005, 08:30 PM

It works. I did try it, and it works great. You can use FSAA on UT!

Forum Links
Forum Rules